WaniKani Review Order - (Radical/Kanji/Vocab order) Userscript Extension

Hi all,

Behold the true power! 

(Sorry @viet @koichi)

I just made a userscript that will bring your reviews in Radical, Kanji, Vocab order.
Its a sketch yet, but its working (for me), soon i will update and bug fix.

Link: https://greasyfork.org/scripts/9695-wanikani-review-order/

[TECH CRAP] Updated with version 0.3:
Just to explain better, when Viet developed the client side review.
he added two stacks of reviews,   “activeQueue” and “reviewQueue”.
ReviewQueue contains all your “TODO” reviews.
ActiveQueue gets 1 random item from ReviewQueue.

Each time an item is displayed in screen review, it gets a random item from this “ActiveQueue”. When you complete one of these items (answering Meaning+Readin), it will be removed from ActiveQueue, and the next item from ReviewQueue will be added on it (now ordered with my script).
So after answering the first random item, the ordered list will start to take place into “random activeQueue items”.
[/TECH CRAP]

It may have BUGS, cause i didnt have so much time to test, please report me anything wrong.
(i will not take any responsibility if your reviews get something weird)

Also, WK True Result is coming soon with a new version, i delayed it because i think people would love this new userscript first ^^

GRRRAAAWWW!

-------------

Updates:

Version 0.35:

- I don’t even remember what changed, i just checked my computer and it was 0.35 already. I also re-uploaded to greasyfork.org.

Version 0.31:

- Two methods of reordering:
  1) Bulk mode, keeps the current maximum 10 activeQueue size, as planned by Koichi/Viet.
  2) Single mode, sets the current activeQueue to 1, this will make the meaning/reading come in pairs for the same item (as requested by a lot of  users).
Screen will be like this now (yes, my review number raised) :

Version 0.30:

- Reorder script starts after clicking the button, in this way the bug for slow machines/big review list will not happen anymore.

- It still may have bugs if you are using another extension that manipulates the Review/Active queues.

Version 0.20:

- Removed 9 of 10 random items at beginning, now you just have to make the first random item (i will not change it), i clean the others items in the ActiveQueue, send them back to ReviewQueue to be ordered, then i get the first 9 items from the ordered ReviewQueue.

- Added a display count of how many items of each type you still have to do, just below the Status info. (i may remove this feature in the future and add it in the WK True Result userscript)

2 Likes
alucardeck said... Hi all,

Behold the true power!  (Sorry @viet @koichi)
I just made a userscript that will bring your reviews in Radical, Kanji, Vocab order. (After the 10 first random items)
Its a sketch yet, but its working (for me), soon i will update and bug fix.

Link: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/174704

[TECH CRAP]
Just to explain better, when Viet developed the client side review.
he added two stacks of reviews,   "activeQueue" and "reviewQueue".
ReviewQueue contains all your "TODO" reviews.
ActiveQueue gets 10 random items from ReviewQueue.

Each time an item is displayed in screen review, it gets a random item from this "ActiveQueue". When you complete one of these items (answering Meaning+Readin), it will be removed from ActiveQueue, and the next item from ReviewQueue will be added on it (now ordered with my script).
So after answering the first random item, the ordered list will start to take place into "random activeQueue items".
[/TECH CRAP]

I just tried and it worked, later i will fix this to change the ActiveQueue, so there is no need to make the random 10 items first.
Soon i will update with new features.

It may have BUGS, cause i didnt have so much time to test, please report me anything wrong.
(i will not take any responsibility if your reviews get something weird)

Also, WK True Result is coming soon with a new version, i delayed it because i think people would love this new userscript first ^^

GRRRAAAWWW!
 Oh my Wanis and my Kanis!!!!!! This must be the best news since the client side revolution! :D
This is indeed true power! I am craving this power. 

Thanks a lot! This is one of the best scripts so far 

Woop!

How do I install this?

Oh I can’t read at all… this is reviews and not lessons? Hmm… still ‘woop’ I guess.

I’ll try it later and see if it feels like my brain is losing out.

holy carpfish these people are amazing!
llooking forward to trying it out!
I wish over games could let users fix the problems like this. So few gameshave mod support

Does this mean we level up faster?

Juichiro said... How do I install this?
Please install Tampermonkey extension if you are using Google Chrome 
or GreaseMonkey addon if you are using Mozilla Firefox.
Both can  be found on Google.

EskimoJo said... Oh I can't read at all... this is reviews and not lessons? Hmm... still 'woop' I guess.

I'll try it later and see if it feels like my brain is losing out.
Its for Reviews only, i am not planning to change Lessons. ^^ 

Jatacid said... holy carpfish these people are amazing! llooking forward to trying it out! I wish over games could let users fix the problems like this. So few gameshave mod support
Thanks, i am also a game developer by hobbie, and i agree with you. 

floe said... Does this mean we level up faster?
 Kind of, this means you can only make your Radicals/Kanji reviews to level up and ignore Vocabs if you want to.
It is useful when you dont have time to make all reviews, but want to just make your Radical/Kanji because you dont want to lose time on leveling up.
Then you can make your vocabs later when you have more free time.
this is reviews and not lessons?
You couldn't do this for lessons even if you wanted to, since lessons are currently server-side...

Nice script, by the way. I guess it could be useful for some, especially those racing through Wanikani.
I do not mind taking Wanikani slow, though, and I prefer having stuff sorted randomly since it seems to stick better, so I won't be using it personally.

alucardeck said...
Juichiro said... How do I install this?
Please install Tampermonkey extension if you are using Google Chrome 
or GreaseMonkey addon if you are using Mozilla Firefox.
Both can  be found on Google.

EskimoJo said... Oh I can't read at all... this is reviews and not lessons? Hmm... still 'woop' I guess.

I'll try it later and see if it feels like my brain is losing out.

Jatacid said... holy carpfish these people are amazing! llooking forward to trying it out! I wish over games could let users fix the problems like this. So few gameshave mod support
Thanks, i am also a game developer by hobbie, and i agree with you. 

floe said... Does this mean we level up faster?
 Kind of, this means you can only make your Radicals/Kanji reviews to level up and ignore Vocabs if you want to.
It is useful when you dont have time to make all reviews, but want to just make your Radical/Kanji because you dont want to lose time on leveling up.
Then you can make your vocabs later when you have more free time.
 So it's possible to change the Lessons then. Good news... >:) 

This sounds like a quick road to review item overload. If you clear out your review queue diligently, then I don’t see a problem. But if you choose to use this script and end up with a large active review queue (and upset about it), direct complaints to Alucard, not us please :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
viet said... This sounds like a quick road to review item overload. If you clear out your review queue diligently, then I don't see a problem. But if you choose to use this script and end up with a large active review queue (and upset about it), direct complaints to Alucard, not us please :P
I don't see how a large active review queue can be problematic. At the end of the day you have to do your reviews. OP is just re-ordering them.
ruipgpinheiro said...
this is reviews and not lessons?
You couldn't do this for lessons even if you wanted to, since lessons are currently server-side...

Nice script, by the way. I guess it could be useful for some, especially those racing through Wanikani.
I do not mind taking Wanikani slow, though, and I prefer having stuff sorted randomly since it seems to stick better, so I won't be using it personally.

Well its possible, because there is no problem getting Lessons wrong, so i could force skipping Vocabs lessons, until its Radicals/Kanjis. 

viet said... This sounds like a quick road to review item overload. If you clear out your review queue diligently, then I don't see a problem. But if you choose to use this script and end up with a large active review queue (and upset about it), direct complaints to Alucard, not us please :P
 Yes, this WILL be a problem for some users.
But the main reason for me, is to make my radicals/kanjis reviews at work (because i have just a few minutes while my boss isnt near), and then finish the whole vocab review at home.
so i dont lose a day in each 4h/8h/24h step.

Juichiro said...
viet said...This sounds like a quick road to review item overload. If you clear out your review queue diligently, then I don't see a problem. But if you choose to use this script and end up with a large active review queue (and upset about it), direct complaints to Alucard, not us please :P
I don't see how a large active review queue can be problematic. At the end of the day you have to do your reviews. OP is just re-ordering them.
 No, Viet is right, i know some people will use this only to learn Kanji, and forget about Vocabs.

1 Like
Juichiro said...
I don't think it is problematic also, but a lot of people do and voiced their opinions as such. If you are the type of person that gets demoralized by a large number and have problems consistently clearing out your review queue, I would suggest not using the script.

I think the script is fine if you know why  you are using it and what you are getting yourself into.

Hmm so if there are 10 random items in the ActiveQueue is it (theoretically) possible that you still get the radicals all the way at the end? So you do all 10 random items, now there are say 4 radicals and 6 kanji in the ActiveQueue and it just never picks the radicals?

piderman said... Hmm so if there are 10 random items in the ActiveQueue is it (theoretically) possible that you still get the radicals all the way at the end? So you do all 10 random items, now there are say 4 radicals and 6 kanji in the ActiveQueue and it just never picks the radicals?
 Once its in ActiveQueue, it was already removed from ReviewQueue.
The flow is:
ReviewQueue is populated with everything
ActiveQueue gets 10 random items (rad/kan/voc) and remove those from ReviewQueue
ReviewQueue is sorted by userscript.
Each time an ActiveQueue item is finished,  it gets a new one from ReviewQueue.

So yes, its possible to have Rad/Kan in the first 10 random items.
(maybe i didnt understand what you mean)

Right so what if you have all your 4 radicals in the ActiveQueue (at the start or after they are picked from the ReviewQueue) but they just never get shown/asked? Maybe you can modify things so that items are picked from the ReviewQueue 10 at a time, and only after all items in the ActiveQueue are done.

piderman said... Right so what if you have all your 4 radicals in the ActiveQueue (at the start or after they are picked from the ReviewQueue) but they just never get picked? Maybe you can modify things so that items are picked from the ReviewQueue 10 at a time, and only after all items in the ActiveQueue are done.
 From what I understand

at the very start the Active queue gets populated randomly, and the user scrip then sorts the review queue, putting the radicals -kanji-vocab in order

the moment you finish an Active queue item, it will start picking from the review queue in order.

But if what you say is true and we are shown 1 random item from the Active queue, then yeah it is still 1/10 chance for a particular item to get chosen from the active queue and presented to the user.  so theoretically it could be still left there stuck until the end.
alucardeck said...Each time an item is displayed in screen review, it gets a random item from this "ActiveQueue". When you complete one of these items (answering Meaning+Readin), it will be removed from ActiveQueue, and the next item from ReviewQueue will be added on it (now ordered with my script).
 If the Active queue wasn't random THEN I think it would work properly but IDK