Wanikani Review Cards

こんばんは みんなさん!

I made some handy Wanikani kanji cards. These are printable cards (or papers if you don’t print on cardstock) with the kanji in Wanikani order that enable you to study in the bathtub without fear of electrocuting yourself or at least if you would like a non-electronic way to study. I am now at level 13 and have started to realize that some (many, really) of the earlier level kanji just aren’t sticking well enough so I wanted a convenient way to review them offline and grouped by level. Printed and trimmed they are the size of large index cards. They go through level 20 so far. I’ll be adding more for those in the death zone and beyond as I find time. There’s two sets of cards and you should be able to print them double-sided to save paper. The first set has readings and meanings and the second is just kanji, so you don’t have to cover up or cheat in your reviews. Hope you enjoy!

16 Likes

Just added levels 21-40 and a two-sided version with readings and meanings on one side and just kanji on the other. Procrastination is a wonderful thing!

8 Likes

This is cool. Is this just for the Kanji? It would be cool if they were all individual cards? Maybe like flash cards how you test yourself?

Thanks! Yes just for kanji. I may do radicals too but no promises there!

I like to just have each level on its own card and I just go through the list on a card seeing how many I know and how many leave me stumped using the kanji-only cards and then glance at the other ones with meanings and readings for answers. It’s a way of reinforcing my memory in between WK sessions.

And no I won’t make 2000+ individual flashcards! Check at the end of the first entry in this thread to see if someone else has done that. And isn’t that what wanikani is for anyway so we don’t need thousands of flashcards? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotcha. I understand.

Hope my response didn’t come across as rude! But my not wanting to make individual flashcards is mostly a result of how these are made. They are basically cleaned up screenshots and are not generated by using the API or anything fancy like that! I guess there is probably a way to automatically generate individual cards from wanikani data but it is beyond my coding and scripting abilities at this point…

No, I that makes sense. Sometimes text doesn’t really express feelings. I understand. I actually downloaded the little screenshots. They will be good for study! Thanks for making them!

1 Like

Finished them! Who knows, maybe I’ll get through them all in the next couple of years!

These links point to the same documents as those above, but here they are again for convenience.
Hope you find them useful!

This one enables you to print a two sided version with the card with just kanji on one side and the other with meanings and reading too.

5 Likes

If someone is interested to make more cards in an automated fashion Item Inspector can export the data in csv format. Then maybe this file can be fed to some printing software, maybe a python script.

1 Like

Either I’m bad at printing things, or the backs of the two sided version needs to be mirrored in order for it to be able to be printed such that you could cut out individual flash cards. Either way, I didn’t really need that, but I printed a couple of pages just to test it out, and it does look really nice just to have it as a guide sheet, not cut out into individual flashcards anyway.

1 Like

Thanks! And thanks for testing out two sided printing too! I’ll see what I can figure out – haven’t tried printing two sided yet. In a pdf reader it looks like it should work but then… :slight_smile: What was the issue you had? Did the two sides not line up properly?

1 Like

I tried to explain it the best I could in brief, as the back side is mirrored. Thinking about it logically, it might actually be a more difficult task for you to fix than worth fixing, though I don’t know your setup. You would need to mirror the location of the kanji on the page. With the tools I could try doing on a pdf reader beforehand, I could mirror the entire page, but then obviously the kanji themselves would be mirrored.

Specifically, I printed out Levels 9 and 10, and the backsides align with the Kanji on the opposite side.
So, 受 with the じゅ, Accept, written on it has 表 on the backside, and vice versa. 事 with じ, Action, on it has 談 on the backside.

Everything does line up nicely if you take the entire level as one giant “Entire Level” card, which is how I have it right now and am fine with it really, its just if I wanted to cut out individual tiny kanji cards it wouldn’t work out

2 Likes

I did like more than a thousand cards yesterday…I regret most of it -_-

1 Like

Oh I see what you mean! These were intended as giant flashcards of whole levels NOT as individual kanji flashcards. The idea was to have something I could easily carry around, or use as a bookmark and causally review from time to time in batches of kanji, not a full set of mini cards. My reason for doing this is because I am panicking with lots of burn candidates showing up after a long pause and me being completely clueless about some of them – did I REALLY learn that kanji yet?

And again that’s because of the method I used to make them. I used browser dev tools to remove unwanted styles from each page of 10 kanji sets and then took screenshots of the black text on a white background, did some minimal image editing for consistent size and shape and then used a few lines of LaTeX code to compile them all into a pdf document. I am not even dealing with individual characters, just images of sets. This all suits my purposes – these are more like “cheat sheets” rather than flashcards. I find that it helps me to remember them better if I can see them in batches like this.

1 Like

@gabruoy

Several years ago, I had made printable flash cards the way that people are suggesting, then took them down when I gave up my web host. I did start posting them again, and intend to re-do and re-post them over the winter.

@MashusuJooji your little cards are really nice! Nor do they take reams of paper to print.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes I saw that set of cards and was kind of pointing to it with the third party apps link, but the links to your cards didn’t work. I figured it was mothballed! Thanks for the new one!

And I’ve found github is a great free alternative to self-sponsored hosting for sharing projects like this too. I’ve been doing that with more stuff lately and it is perfect for communities like this, filled with many people who can be single minded enough to try to learn Japanese, and also have lots of tech skills (not to mention a good sense of humor).

1 Like