Wanikani Reorder Ultimate [old version, not working]

Ah! Now I understand. Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a reason why the WaniKani Team didn’t implement such a feature? Somehow it doesn’t smell good to me… doesn’t feel like cheating?

I don’t use any scripts at all and sometimes I feel like I don’t even read some kanji or vocab and answer/review them right away because I expect certain kanji or vocab to be reviewed along with others of the same lesson. So most of the time I rely on the first character of a compound or even on a few strokes of the first character to answer correctly because I’m expecting only a few words to appear at a certain time.

I know it’s necessary to group kanji and vocab in lessons but I would like to review them all somehow at random to avoid being so confident and always to be oblige to read the whole word not to make a mistake.

However, removing such randomness at all even within the review queue feels dangerously easy. I’m not sure, though! What do you think? Do you have an easier time reviewing with the reordering script running?

There are a few reasons:

• They intentionally designed the randomization based on a principle called ‘interleaving’. (I would add, though, that interleaving isn’t as big of a factor when all the items are within the same review session).
  • The WK community has developed a lot of good concepts on their own, and once a userscript is written, there’s not much incentive for WK to reinvent the wheel. They’re probably better off focusing on EtoEto (their in-development grammar site).

You’ll get different opinions on whether the reorder script is harmful to your learning, but it depends at least partly on how you use it:

• 1x1 mode to group reading and meaning together for each item.
  • Do radicals first, then kanji, to help level up faster
  • Sort by level, so you can focus on old items before doing new ones.
  • Group all readings or all meanings together, to reduce errors caused by switching back and forth.

I only have experience with the first two, and it worked really well for my learning style. But other people had some negative side-effects. So really, if you have a good reason for using it, give it a try and monitor your progress. That’s the only way to know how well it’s working (or not) for you.

3 Likes

@rfindley Thanks a lot for your answer!

Totally agree with that.

I know. It’s amazing. Also, you’re a great contributor. Since you’re here let me say thanks to you in particular!^^

So there’s some configuration options! That’s nice! Maybe I’ll give it a try!

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Most of the WK/Tofugu is delivered in a way that provides a solid core fit for everyone while providing the opportunity for each person to tailor things to their needs. This is pretty awesome since (almost) everyone benefits from official changes while niche groups can still take care of themselves. Nobody has to feel hurt that dev time was “wasted” for a feature half the userbase doesn’t need and users don’t get bogged down in UI/options that aren’t necessary to them.

I would like to think the way they have openly embraced the apps/scripts and improved the API is their way of trusting us to do what’s right for ourselves.

I think the interleaving benefits are highly situational and more users should evaluate it based on their own experiences rather than taking it at face value.

When I was doing all of my reviews once a day or so in massive batches I liked the interleaving since it usually meant reviewing an item twice in a session given how tightly coupled some mnemonics are. On the other hand, as I progressed towards doing many small sessions in a day it became much less effective and waste of time (mixing up reading and meaning, slowing down my reviews with task switching, ect).

From one perspective my use of scripts have lead to an overall lower accuracy and high rate of leeches, but on the other side I’m learning the material in a way that I find more satisfying and beneficial to my study goals.

So back to point; It’s not really cheating unless someone is seriously sabotaging their own studies. As long as you’re mindful of what you’re doing and why scripting should never be a problem.

PS: Wecome to the rfindley fan club! Glad to have you on board! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for your insights!

If you don’t mind the intrusion… why is that? Why the lower accuracy and high rate of leeches? What are your study goals?

I think this one would be detrimental (which is why I’ve never tried it). I think it would result in “remembering” which items came earlier and letting that influence your answer instead of remembering the item out of context. I get the use case of coming back from a break with a large number of reviews, but other than that it seems like a bad approach.

My primary motivation for learning Japanese is reading and I want to be able to do so without internally translating everything. In short I want to hit a point where I see 素晴らしい without thinking “wonderful” every time.

To support this I use the reorder script’s 1 by 1 mode to enforce reading before meaning and keep them sequential (partly to save time, and also so I don’t see a term and have to recall the english meaning by itself). In addition I use the lightning mode script and avoid dwelling on a word unless it’s really bothering me.

Generally speaking I find it much easier to remember the meanings of kanji/vocab, so having mixed items that would sometimes give me meaning first would often help me recall the readings of a term. Under mixed terms my accuracy was something around 94% for reading and 96% for meaning, but now it’s dropped to around 91% reading and 96% meaning and decreasing.

I got this bug:

TypeError: Cannot read property ‘rad’ of null
TypeError: Cannot read property ‘rad’ of null at eval (eval at (:1:1), :424:14) at Array.filter (native) at Object.filterType (eval at (:1:1), :423:15) at Array.toggler (eval at (:1:1), :340:57) at a (https://cdn.wanikani.com/assets/v03/review/application-00deb026151963c4bd07e09242ea3ed8e8d2a30c19af59aeb039802d06dcfc05.js:5:2659) at Object.set (https://cdn.wanikani.com/assets/v03/review/application-00deb026151963c4bd07e09242ea3ed8e8d2a30c19af59aeb039802d06dcfc05.js:5:6644) at Object.apply (eval at (:1:1), :130:16) at Object.create (eval at (:1:1), :185:17) at Object.eval [as success] (eval at (:1:1), :171:18) at l (https://cdn.wanikani.com/assets/v03/review/application-00deb026151963c4bd07e09242ea3ed8e8d2a30c19af59aeb039802d06dcfc05.js:2:8518)

Logs:
WKU Init()
Checking for UID updates
Gathering data for patch
DONE!
Applying UID levels

o_o

Just wanted to say thank you for this. I have just under 1300 reviews to do after multiple attempts at returning, doing a few hundred reviews, getting most of them wrong, and then not coming back. Not only does this make things look more manageable and doable (seeing only a handful of reviews to do a the top instead of a seemingly impossible number), but it’s really boosted my confidence in returning. By starting at the low levels I feel like i’m back to making progress doing easy burns at 90%+ success instead of being repeatedly bombarded by the stuff I had only barely learned and failing over half of the items.

1 Like

This is actually a question for @viet, but I have nowhere better to put it. On the lesson page, what’s the reason that the batch-items div sometimes has the fixed class? When this is there is causes the Reorder Ultimate script to look strange. Additionally, I removed the fixed class, and everything looked fine (on my PC, in Chrome).

Without fixed class

With fixed class

It is to ensure the user has access to the batch timeline.

What is that again?

The batch timeline is viewable to the user at all times. Thats why it is fixed. Much like the nav is fixed.

I’m assuming the batch timeline is the content in the batch-items div I referenced (the bottom part of my picture that shows the kanji and three vocab items). If not, please clarify.

However, that div is not always marked as fixed, and as I said removing it didn’t seem to have any adverse effects. I think maybe I’m just missing something in your explanation.

Without the fixed position, it moves below the view and requires a scroll. The fix is to ensure it is visible at all times.

We are not going to change it because it inconveniences a third party script.

Can’t a user just override it with a userstyle?

Of course, I wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise. I was just trying to understand what it was for.

Hmmmm. Well I thought the fix position was to have it in view at all times, but viewing on my phone doesn’t support the case.

I am going to have to review the CSS to find the actual reason. I’ll get back to you. I won’t have access to a computer until at least Sunday; tagging your inquire to make sure I follow up.

3 Likes

Okay, thanks.