WaniKani Race, anyone?

Hello everybody! I’m currently working at level 5, which I just reached a few days ago. I’m not exactly moving slowly, but I’m seeing a lot of people pushing through insanely efficiently (10 days per level? Damn.). So, I was thinking, why not add a little motivation to WaniKani? Would anyone be up for a friendly race? Agree on a level to sprint to, and go from there. Once we get to our target, make another goal level, and race to it. Anyone interested? Could be a fun way to blow through kanji. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think it might be detrimental to your learning ability.
Lessons will start piling up quickly and if you start taking them all at once just to be faster, it will be much harder to remember them all at the same time.

5 Likes

A little healthy competition isn’t bad, however make sure whomever you race against has similar circumstances to yours. Don’t get into a race with a HikiNEET that doesn’t have anything to do besides stalk their WaniKani dashboard for reviews :joy:

1 Like

I don’t want to be a party pooper because friendly racing can be fun. I just want to warn that speed is a highly personal thing. It depends on factors like how good your memory is and how much time one can dedicate to WK. Someone that falls behind in a friendly race should not feel bad for being slower. There is nothing wrong in being slower. It is just that your circumstances call for a slower pace.

5 Likes

I’m at too high a level for this, but you might be interested in checking out this thread!

It’s not a race exactly, but the goal is to hit level 60 by 2022!

(Also if you think 10 days is fast you haven’t met the people consistently pumping out 6 days 20 hours lol)

5 Likes

I’d say go for it if you you can pull it off. I think it’s doable if you’re low on responsibilities in life (full time job, studying a different major, have kids, etc) I blasted through 1-8 in just a few months but felt I was honestly putting a strain on my marriage and reigned it in.
Plus I have other interests than Japanese, I think I’d honestly take 4 years plus to get through this.

I’m soooooo slow. Please race with me to level 21.

4 Likes

oh man people are crazy xd
anyway, thats the thread I actually came from lol. gave me the idea xp

3 Likes

I’ll race you - then you can feel good about yourself by thrashing me soundly.

…I’ve been on Level 13 for 45 days so far, trying to get vocab lessons I’ve neglected done.

2 Likes

If you find people to race with, you can use this script to make a leaderboard with them!

3 Likes

I added you to my leaderboard @ellalikeumbrella

I am currently level 3. I’ll race you to level 15!

Sure, let’s race. At the rate I’m going you’ll probably get to level 20 before I do. :wink:

awesome! is there a way i can view the leaderboard?

1 Like

Yep, install the script at the above link posted by @darkness_rising and add my username to it (you can also add your own name so that you can see yourself on the leaderboard). You can add other people as well. This is what mine looks like currently.

okay, thanks to both of u !

1 Like