WaniKani Present E-Mail

So I finished level 4 today and got and email titled ‘Can I Send You a WaniKani Present?’. Honestly, I’ve been pretty excited to get this E-Mail since I discovered that it was a thing, and I’m assuming things are a bit backlogged since it’s only just been sent. But, the email doesn’t have anything to do with a present. If I hadn’t heard anything about a WaniKani present I’d be confused about how the title related to the actual contents of the email (it’s just stats) but would think nothing of it. But since I have I’m just wondering if the E-mail about the present is separate and I’m just being way to excited about the prospect of a WaniKani present. Thanks.

1 Like

You have to reply to the email with your mailing address to get the present, assuming you haven’t done this already.

Even though there is no part of the E-mail that asks for that at all? That seems a bit odd because if I wasn’t part of this forum I would have no clue this present even existed. I’d feel a bit stupid if I replied with my mailing address to the wrong E-mail,

I’m not sure if you got the same email as I did, but it said in mine:

That’s all for now. Don’t forget to send me your mailing address so I can send you a proper congrats!

Yep my E-mail definitely doesn’t say that. Is it the same email except for that line? It starts with

Nice job finishing the first three levels! You’d be surprised at how many people don’t make it, so, you’re kind of special. I hope your time with WaniKani so far has given you an idea of whether or not WaniKani works for you.

And then goes on to talk about how much Kanji you’ll you by level 5, 10, 15 etc. Then ends with a paragraph about how if I want to do more I need to subscribe to premium.

If the email is the same except for that line then I’ll assume it was a mistake and go ahead and reply with my mailing address anyway.

Hey zzzlurg,

Nice job finishing the first three levels. You’d be surprised at how many people don’t make it, unlike you. I hope your time so far has given you an idea of whether or not WaniKani works for you.

Either way, I’d love to send you a little WaniKani-related present. Reply to this message with your mailing address and I’ll make it happen. Think of it as a “thank you” for giving WaniKani a try (then actually following through). You’ll need that kind of grit to learn the rest of the kanji (not to mention all the vocab).

It’ll be a long journey, but it’s amazing how fast you’ll be able to use what you’ve learned:

Level 5: 97.50% of the kanji that Japanese 1st grade elementary students need to know, and 78.48% of the JLPT5 kanji (really, you're almost here).
Level 10: 98.73% of the JLPT5 kanji, 75.90% of the JLPT4 kanji, and 88.75% of the kanji that Japanese elementary school 2nd grade students have to know.
Level 15: 86.00% of the kanji Japanese 3rd grade students have to know and 67.50% of the kanji in Japanese Twitter.
Level 20: 76.00% of the kanji in Japanese news websites.
Level 30: 88.83% of the JLPT3 kanji, 86.48% of the kanji in Japanese Wikipedia articles, and 88.50% of the kanji that Japanese elementary school 4th graders should know.
Level 40: 83.11% of the JLPT2 kanji, 86.83% of the kanji found in Japanese books/ebooks, and 90.61% of the kanji that Japanese 6th graders should know (yeah, we skipped a grade).
Level 50: 98.05% of the kanji found on Japanese news sites, 53.49% of the kanji in JLPT1, and 96.92% of the kanji found on Japanese Twitter.
Level 60: 84.78% of the  kanji that Japanese 9th graders should know, 78.81% of the kanji found in JLPT 1, and 99.21% of the kanji found in Japanese books/ebooks.

Unfortunately, this is the point where I let you know that in order to continue your progress, you have to become a premium member. Besides access to the rest of the levels (4+), you’ll be able to use “vacation mode” (pause your reviews temporarily) and get a fancy color around your name in the forums. If you beat me to it and you’re already a member, then thank you so much for helping make this project possible. I really, really appreciate it.

That’s all for now. Don’t forget to send me your mailing address so I can send you a proper congrats!

:heart:,
Koichi
Copyright © 2017 Tofugu LLC, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you have registered an account at WaniKani.

Our mailing address is:
Tofugu LLC
117 SE Taylor St
Suite 303
Portland, OR 97214

Add us to your address book

No longer want to receive WaniKani educational emails?
If you’d like, you can unsubscribe from this list (the Crabigator may shed a tear)

Yep, it’s exactly the same except that one line, I’ll reply with my mailing address. Thanks for clearing that up:)

To forestall future questions, no, we’re not only sending gifts to some people. :wink:

We’re changing how it works so that, going forward, the “Congrats on finishing level 3!” and “We want to send you something” will be separate messages. This is just kicking in recently, which is why that message is now different.

I got your email, Georgia, and I’ll get your present out today. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thank you for clearing it up! And thanks for the present:)

My bad, I didn’t update the subject line when I updated the email - thanks for the heads up

3 Likes

What is this present? I reached level 4 just a few days ago but didn’t receive anything.

we switched it to level 3, so you might have been caught in the danger zone. Just shoot us an email with your mailing address (hello@wanikani.com) and we’ll hook you up.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.