WaniKani Perpetuating the Columbus Myth?

Jesus, people will find anything to complain about.

5 Likes

I know I’m much more of a “book first” kid than a “learn while doing” kid for having gone back and forth between both in my education, jobs, and learning of skills, and this is generic enough that there are probably a good slice of the population that is like me or like the other thing… is that what this is about?

I think the difference between this example and the examples with Kouichi and Ms. Chou is that we know that Kouichi and Ms. Chou are fictional as they don’t exist outside of WaniKani. Columbus however, did exist in real life and many of us were told untrue information about him in school which is being spread here. The mnemonic would still work if Columbus’ name was removed from it.

4 Likes

The “learning styles” concept isn’t really about preference or comfort of methodology. It’s that the idea that individuals are each uniquely neurologically predisposed to retain information at significantly different rates based on whether it’s delivered through auditory, visual, or tactile input. In reality, barring actual neurological disabilities, we all interact with these sensory modes in more or less the same way, and learning is significantly enhanced when multiple input methods are used in unison.

For example in high school I was pegged as an “auditory learner” because I exclusively read text with an internal voice. Now learning Japanese when I can recall a word’s meaning and how to write it but need to spend sometimes 30 seconds recalling how to say the damn thing, I can comfortably say that was a load of nonsense.

3 Likes

I lost two friends to flat earth theories and Qanon. They were both in a vulnerable place and I guess they spent too much time online.

Really hit home for me how dangerous and powerful an idea can be, even if all the evidence is against it.

4 Likes

I would like to know how much was the budged the producers had allocated per episode. It could be they did a superb job after all.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is considered one of the worst anime ever :sweat_smile:
In fact, some even consider it to be “so bad that it’s actually good” :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s February why are you still wearing a Santa hat, JP?

The 12 days are up bro :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for someone to turn my picture into a JoJo character :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

uhm, tbh. when I read the hint it didn’t bother me nor it “registered” with my mind as something “odd”, though in school they though us that Columbus wanted to go to India by sailing west, nothing about “end of the world” or “waterfall” (hence the name “indians” for native americans, as in “india”-people)…

Fascinating that in some parts of the world they would teach it with the flath-earth angle…

1 Like

Parts of the world like Hollywood? This particular scene jumps to my mind every time the Columbus versus Flat Earthers idea comes up. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

But which is flatter: the Flat Earth, or Uruha Rushia?

1 Like

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLtUp9zVAAASZdb?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Next You gonna tell me Genghis Kan wasn’t the first to use governmental bears.