WaniKani page shows one of 突's radical wrong?

I’d suggest emailing them at hello@wanikani.com. That way they can check it out faster with a written record.

It’s a font issue. Your phone is displaying a Chinese version of the character with the dot.

8 Likes

Finally got leebo’d. Feels glorious.

11 Likes

It’s a shame android hasn’t fixed that yet, with how often it happens to people.

2 Likes

Fonts can be expensive, especially when loading them in an OS.

1 Like

The correct fonts exist on the phones, you just have to change your language to Japanese to guarantee it displays the Japanese version. There may be other ways too, but that’s the one I go with.

4 Likes

I suppose, but my iPhone seems to handle it just fine. If people have a Japanese keyboard installed on their phone (and not a Chinese one), it seems reasonable to use a Japanese font.

4 Likes

I’d do that, but there isn’t an option to :frowning:

I guess that the chinese characters are fallbacks in case no glyph is defined for the japanese code points in whatever font is used. Considering there’s over a million code points, i’d say it’s reasonable to not have a glyph for each character in each font. That’s a lot of space to take up.

1 Like

This did the trick, thanks!

i really liked the Chinese one tough, the samsumg keyboard is bullshit, and the Japanese Keyboard from Google is only good to type in Japanese.

2 Likes

the HTML styling defines a list of fonts to use, and your browser will go with the first one it finds that matches.

font-family: "Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro", "Meiryo", "Source Han Sans Japanese", "NotoSansCJK", "TakaoPGothic", "Yu Gothic", "ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3", "メイリオ", "Osaka", "MS PGothic", "MS Pゴシック", sans-serif

If you can install one of these, the problem should go away.

But the real question is: is this a real or fake radical? :face_with_monocle:

Sorry, I’ll show myself out…

1 Like

Checks out! 突 - Wiktionary, the free dictionary

TIL that the top radical for that character is 穴 in disguise - the level 19 character decomposition is “roof” + “legs” (e.g. for “sky”). Thanks Leebo! :smiley:

It’s a 3rd party app.

I found another one

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.