Wanikani Override Userscript 1.1.2 ("Ignore Answer" Button) [No longer supported]

Thanks very much for this! Hope the script stays up to date with future WK updates

Works great so far. Thanks for all the hard work ruipgpinheiro!

Is the script not working right now for anyone else? The buttons don’t seem to be popping up on either chrome or firefox…

I just installed the script on Chrome and haven’t seen any buttons. Thought I did something wrong, then saw linkthe2nd’s post and thought maybe it’s not just me. 

Seems to work on mobile, still. 

EDIT: Never mind, it’s not

That’s a shame :frowning: hopefully it’s something easily fixable.

-----------------------

The current situation has changed for me, though.

During summer I stopped doing Wanikani for about 2 months before vacation mode was available. When I returned I had 800+ reviews consistently. At first I kept up with 400 or so reviews a day, but then university started and I started having less and less time and started spending my free time differently, so much so that at most I managed to lower the number of reviews to about ~400 consistent reviews, and didn’t manage until christmas to hit 0 reviews a single time.

Around that time, vacation mode was released and I ended up activating it during exam season, where I didn’t even touch Wanikani. Since then, I’ve tried to re-activate my account twice, but I give up after about 200 reviews since I know that the day after I’ll have basically 150 more reviews and no time to do them. This is because most of those seem to be apprentice…

I also started getting tired of the mnemonics, during the last few levels they stopped making any sense for me and I just stopped being able to remember them. I also got annoyed at the ridiculous names and shapes of some of the radicals.

Basically, I had a yearly subscription but since last summer I haven’t reached 0 reviews a single time, I’ve been stuck on level 12 since about the time I released this script. I did a few scripts (including this one) to try and make it easier to start progressing again, but I was never able to do so due to university (currently sucking most of my time), life and less free time. After some time (6 months after, in January), I just gave up, activated vacation mode and tried to set up a different learning process involving Anki.

I grabbed Anki, a good Kanji deck and another good Vocab deck, bought the book “The Key to Kanji” for real mnemonics that actually make historical sense and that I can actually manage to remember, wrote a python script to make Anki only show me vocab containing Kanji I already knew, and started  learning again from scratch.

I’ve found that all in all it’s a much better experience. For example, when you don’t do reviews for a couple of days but then get a review correctly, Anki will count the time since the previous review when calculating how long to wait until it shows you the item again. This means that if I spend one week working without time for Anki, when I come back an item on an SRS interval of a few days will only be shown 1+ months later later, provided I get it correctly (usually it’d be shown one week later) since remembering it for a week means the item actually “skipped” SRS levels. I can tell it when it is hard to remember a meaning/reading so that it shows it sooner than usual next time and it also automatically suspends items that you get incorrect multiple times to give you time for other items, and later you can manually reinstate that item whenever you feel more confident (for example, when you’ve made up a different mnemonic).

I’ve been doing a somewhat custom Anki method since January and I’ve had multiple weeks where I simply couldn’t find time to do anything. Even so, I’m managing to keep a pace (in terms of Kanji/Vocab learned per month) higher than what I’ve ever had in Wanikani. As a final nail in the coffin, it doesn’t require a script similar to “Wanikani Override” and supports visual cues (like photos of the object the vocab refers to) and kana-only vocabulary :slight_smile:
tl;dr: I’ve dropped WaniKani in favor of Anki.

Anyways, I’m not writing this in order to complain about WaniKani. I know fully well that one of the main reasons I fell behind like that was my fault in dropping WaniKani for over 2 months during last Summer and only really trying to resume it after the summer holidays ended. I’ve just discovered WaniKani actually isn’t for me, and that Anki can certainly be a power user’s dream, as long as you don’t mind doing some python scripting!

I’ve been updating my scripts since about November without actually using them myself anymore, just to support the community. I even added features since then. Basically, I’ve been avoiding dropping support for as long as possible. However, now that my subscription is expiring (and I will not be renewing it) I will not be able to support them anymore.

I’ve relicensed the last version of all my scripts under the GPLv3, if anyone wants to work on it and start supporting them instead of me. If anyone does so, I’d appreciate it if you could leave some mention that you’re using my code, but it’s your choice. The scripts shouldn’t be too complex, either. I’ve always tried to keep my code as clean as possible, but since I’ve never done much Javascript programming outside of a couple of user-scripts you might find that I overcomplicated some parts, for which I apologize :slight_smile:

Other than that, you’re free, of course, to make your own scripts with the same features. It’s not like I ever held copyright or anything of the sort regarding these features in the first place :wink:
2 Likes

Sorry to see you go, but thanks for the awesome scripts (I find this one in particular really helpful) and good luck on your journey!

Ditto.  Safe (learning) travels and all that.

Hopefully the script sticks around, as I’d stop only very slightly shy of calling this script’s function as essential. It certainly adds functionality that should be built into Wanikani a core level, and the tool is a more complete experience as a result of it.

I’ve only had this script installed for about a week, but no longer having to worry because that top of the mouse pad registered as a premature mouse click has been a revelation. Basically, typos and such have probably put me a couple of levels behind where I should be, and I hated looking at a list of remaining kanji that I knew perfectly well and being unable to progress because of stupid, insignificant and accidental mistakes. Really, it’s melted away a lot of frustration, inspired some extra vim and motivation, and generally made using Wanikani a much more pleasant experience.

どもうありがとうございました!

ご苦労様です!

1 Like
Thank you for all your scripts; I'm sure I owe you a lot.
Though I'm sorry you are leaving, it's great that you found a method that works well with you.
So, goodbye and best wishes!

Good luck with your studying! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. One of the best things about Wanikani certainly is the community :slight_smile:

It’d be great if someone else could pick up the script and support it (or write a similar one from scratch), but in case nobody volunteers I would hate to leave you guys without override functionality, so if for some reason the script breaks and there’s no fix after a day or so,
post something on the script’s userscripts.org forum, I’ll get e-mailed automatically and before the end of the day should be able
to find some time to try and figure out the problem. Probably.

This is only because I’ll most likely stop checking this forum thread soon, now that my subscription has expired :wink:

Which begs the question, is linkthe2nd the only one currently having problems with this script?

ruipgpinheiro said...It'd be great if someone else could pick up the script and support it (or write a similar one from scratch), but in case nobody volunteers I would hate to leave you guys without override functionality, so if for some reason the script breaks and there's no fix after a day or so, post something on the script's userscripts.org forum, I'll get e-mailed automatically and before the end of the day should be able to find some time to try and figure out the problem. Probably.
Thank you! Most of this (and KunOn script) is now inside WKN too, so if something breaks the code shared between the two, of course, I'll take care of it. 

Too bad this wasn’t for you :frowning:
Thank you so much for updating this userscript for so long :smiley:
it has been really helpful

s84606 said...
ruipgpinheiro said...It'd be great if someone else could pick up the script and support it (or write a similar one from scratch), but in case nobody volunteers I would hate to leave you guys without override functionality, so if for some reason the script breaks and there's no fix after a day or so, post something on the script's userscripts.org forum, I'll get e-mailed automatically and before the end of the day should be able to find some time to try and figure out the problem. Probably.
Thank you! Most of this (and KunOn script) is now inside WKN too, so if something breaks the code shared between the two, of course, I'll take care of it.
 Thank you! Now I'm much less worried :)

お疲れ様でした。

Strangely enough, it seems to have started working again, haha. Best wishes in your studies!

PS. Any chance you could share your Anki "super"deck? I’ve been trying to use the program for a while to no success.

I’ve been using a heavily modified version of this deck for vocabulary and a random (don’t remember the name) heavily customized kanji deck containing all the most important 2k kanji and heisig keywords. I then wrote a python script to suspend all kanji that aren’t on the JLPT and sorted the deck according to stroke count. Whenever a new Kanji appears, I search the book Key to Kanji and the internet for good mnemonics for the meaning (mainly etymological ones, as I find real mnemonics, even if slightly harder to memorize at first, are more of the sort of thing my brain likes, where the Kanji actually starts making sense historically), or make my own. I also cross-check with jisho for multiple meanings. I use the Anki Stroke Order add-on to add stroke order diagrams for all Kanji.

I have 2 card types on the Kanji deck - one where it gives me the kanji and I must remember all keywords, and one where it gives me all the keywords and I must be able to draw the Kanji with the correct stroke order. Writing the Kanji down is the key for me, the muscle memory really makes me remember the Kanji easier.

The vocab deck has 2 card types, too. The first one shows me the vocabulary using Kanji only (or hiragana/katakana when it’s a non-Kanji vocab), and I’m supposed to know the reading and meaning. The second one gives me the Meaning, and I’m supposed to know how to write the vocabulary and the reading.
I use a custom-built python script to un-suspend only vocab from the vocab deck that use only Kanji that I’ve already matured in the Kanji deck.

I don’t think me sharing the exact decks will help you, though, since they have tons of side-notes and a few mnemonics in my native language. The scripts are also so badly coded (since I never planned to release them, I really just programmed them as fast as possible to get it over with) that anything is enough to get them to break (for example, different deck/card names) so they probably won’t be very useful for others.

That’s basically it, hope it helps.

Link to a mirror someone? Would really appreciate it. Thank you :slight_smile: