WaniKani Notifier Windows 8.1 Application

Okay, so I just got a Surface Pro 3 and I'm loving it a ton, but that comes with a few catches. The most glaring one is that Internet Explorer, in addition to being hardware accelereated up tha wazoo, just looks plain better than Chrome on the Surface. Either way, I'm not using my Chrome apps nearly as much now so my old WaniKani notifier isn't, well, notifying me anymore.

Well, I guess what I'm saying is that if I made a Windows 8.1 notifier application for WaniKani would there be any interest? Is there anything in particular that you'd like to see it be able to do. I'm probably just going to pursue this in my off time as a personal project so I'm open to suggestions.

Well, fire away! :)

I would use it! I love my Surface Pro. I got a 2 and am extremely jealous of you right now… :slight_smile:

I would love notifications that just said something like “XX reviews available. X radicals (X current level), X kanji (X current level), X vocabulary (X current level).”

For options, I think you’d need to configure how often you get notifications.  Every time additional new items are due or just the first time new items come up? Only when you hit X number of new reviews? Only if you have reviews on your current level? Only radicals or kanji on your current level? 

I disliked notifications on my phone because they kept popping up even if I only had 1 review.  I think it would be equally as annoying on the Surface Pro.

I hope you do this! 頑張って!

Edit: I also completely agree about Chrome on the SP. It looks awful. And no Metro app? Wtf…

I got surface pro 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, I would use it.

I have a Windows 8 Phone, would it work for me? I really need the “Ignore” button 'cause I mistype on the phone a lot!

@Zachary: Haha yeah, I've only had the Pro 3 for about a week now and I'm loving it, but I'm going to feel exactly like you once the Pro 4 rolls around x.x. Making limitations as to when you are notified should be pretty easy though, I just want to figure out what kind of limitations are the most important to the users (i.e. minimum number of items before notifying you.

@Freaky: Thumbs Up!

@Satsuma: Due to the nature of 8 apps it shouldn't be hard to get an app like this working just dandy on your phone. The only real problem is that I don't have a Windows phone to test on so I'll have to see if I can't run it on a virtual machine or something.

Edit: Oh, I actually get a real job starting on Monday, but if all goes well I can probably have a prototype done by then.

Yes please! Surface 2 here. :slight_smile:

ItsToms said... @Zachary: Haha yeah, I've only had the Pro 3 for about a week now and I'm loving it, but I'm going to feel exactly like you once the Pro 4 rolls around x.x. Making limitations as to when you are notified should be pretty easy though, I just want to figure out what kind of limitations are the most important to the users (i.e. minimum number of items before notifying you.
So I would say my priority goes like this: if I have un-gurued radicals or kanji in my current level, I would like to be notified right away.  Otherwise, then maybe 20 or 25 to make it "worth my while."

Well, I have a possibly buggy, barest of bones, proof of concept done. If anyone is interested in trying it out and giving some feedback here is a link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2SK-Pye5yDUcE04YVhtbUgxcVk/edit?usp=sharing. After you unzip it right click the 'Add-AppDevPackage.ps1' file and click 'Run with PowerShell'. If you have any additional questions regarding getting it up and running just shout at me until I respond. ;)

Oh, and hopefully if this turns out working well, I'll be adding it to the windows store, so no janky installation. Cheers!

Edit: I should probably describe what barest of bones even means. Right now all the application does is accept an api key and it will notify you whenever the number of reviews you have increases (this check runs every 5 minutes). As of right now you need to manually start up the program if you restart your computer, although I'm going to try and add a 'run program on startup' feature. Soooooo... Super bare bones.

I get an error from Google :frowning:

File unavailable

Sorry, there’s a problem with this file. Please reload.

If this keeps happening, you can report the error.

Huh that's funny... I'm sure I turned sharing on to anyone with the link can access. Just for poops and laughs I made it public... see if it works now. Also, if anyone else could confirm the error that would be cool. Thanks!

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2SK-Pye5yDUcE04YVhtbUgxcVk/edit?usp=sharing

Hah, ok - I got it downloaded and running, but had zero idea what was next. :slight_smile: So, if anyone else tries, it’s added to your program list, but for some reason it didn’t give the standard windows 8 “New Program Added” alert on the bottom of metro, so I had to do a search. I’ll let you know if it works in a couple hours when my reviews are due! Thanks!

Didn’t work, surface pro 2 - windows 8.1

Any news here?
Would love to use this on my Asus Vivotab Note 8 =)!

Sorry for the lack of replies guys… a lot of things came up and I ended up getting a full time job programming for a game company in Chicago. I don’t think I’ll have much time to spend on this project, but if I do end up continuing it I will most definitely end up posting again here. Sorry for falling off the end of the earth for two months.