Wanikani not working on work computers from Monday

I bet he did, he leveled up around the time of starting this thread!

But I think for many people a bigger screen and bigger keyboard and the availability of scripts is preferable.

1 Like

Totally fair, I prefer a computer because I hate typing on my phone keyboard for accuracy.

For some reason, I was stuck on thinking that you can add whatever browsers to your phone that you want, which in my mind solved the issue of not being able to add another browser to the work computer.

1 Like

I don’t know it if still works, or if you might get in trouble for it… But there were browsers like chrome you could install without admin permissions.

I worked at bank with IE, and needed to upload files to an online portal everyday, and couldn’t with IE. So everyone in my team downloaded Chrome, and it worked despite normal work pc restrictions.

1 Like

I work in computing and logically every PC running in a corporate environment should have Microsoft Edge on. Why? Because it’s the default browser for Windows 10 now. Why should that matter? Because Windows 7 is now a security liability and there’s no excuse for not being on Windows 10.

It’s not merely outdated, it’s a poor security stance.
Granted, a company could get a continuing support contract, but those are stopgap.

3 Likes

Have you tried using a portable browser (that doesn’t require installation)?

For example,

2 Likes

There’s always mobile when people are at work. It’s not like someone who only has an unsupported browser at work couldn’t possibly do reviews.

And yeah, the computers at my work will tell you that you can’t install chrome and then it still works if you try.

3 Likes

Yep, Chrome installs at the local user profile level, so requires no admin rights. Only way to block it is to set an execution policy explicitly disallowing the chrome executable name… which changes by version number.

Of course, if company policy precludes you from doing this and you do it anyway, you may find that there’s a software inventory checker running and get a stern email from IT, but I can’t think of any IT team who’d care unless you’re working with highly sensitive information.

3 Likes

Honestly I think it’s a conscious choice to run leaner and grow slower. I think rapid growth would be to the detriment of the service, especially for a web based product.

IE 11 is on life support.
MS no longer offers more than the most basic of patching and will not add new functionality.
The only reason it remains on Windows 10 is backwards compatibility for company Intranet sites and similarly backwards stuff that people don’t want to spend time modernizing (like you said… banks lol).

After I believe 2022, MS hopes to remove IE from Windows 10 completely unless you are using a Long Term Service Channel of Windows 10 (used mostly for manufacturing machines, etc).

Sorry hasturman. Sucks when something you’ve relied on is pulled away, especially when it seemed to work yesterday.

You don’t have any way to get access to a modern browser at work? I guess at a bank they want to keep track of what everyone is doing on their machine and block any way they can for data exfiltration.

AND… I guess the other thing is, if it worked on Friday, you came in on Monday and it stopped working, it is entirely possible someone made a change to Group Policy, changed the firewall rules, changed the proxy, or similar and broke the functionality. Unlikely WK made a change that would have broken from one day to the next when there wasn’t any downtime, etc.

Is it possible that your company has begun blocking content types, like scripts?

There have been other complaints about IE11 suddenly breaking from a few weeks ago, so it certainly seems like something else triggered it to finally break right now for this user.

2 Likes

Meh, there’s always Firefox Portable

1 Like

There have been other complaints about IE11 suddenly breaking

Hmm. And we DID have a downtime event not terribly long ago. Possible they made updates that broke IE? Definitely plausible.

Yeah, it seems likely. I’m just not sure exactly why it’s impacting users weeks apart. It’s not like IE11 itself is getting updates that would break something like this…

1 Like

There are still security updates for IE from time to time so it is POSSIBLE that broke something but given the timing, unlikely. Think I will go poke around to see last time IE got a security patch…

1 Like

The only thing I found was this:

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2020-16887

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2020-0878

I am not sure this would stop IE but I admit to not know enough about how WK works but highly unlikely they were exploiting this flaw.

1 Like

Jusging from the CVEs you linked, unless Koichi was trying to take over our computers to monitor us to make sure we were doing all our reviews, probably not.

2 Likes

We’re looking at the issue and will let you know if anything changes.

3 Likes

Hi @hasturman , can you try your lessons or reviews now? We had to tweak something related to our recent Chat updates but it should be working on IE11 now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.