Wanikani not working on work computers from Monday

Since Monday window explorer on my work computer hasn’t been able to do wanikani.

I used to do my reviews at work. Go out n my office and wanikani it up. But o can’t anymore. When you put an answer from n and hit enter it doesn’t register. It just shifts it to the right. If you hit enter against n it shifts it back to the left. It won’t register answers at all.

Anyone be else experiencing this? There is 0 chance I can upgrade the browser as I don’t have permissions. Anyone that’s worked for n Japan will understand that. I miss going in my office on breaks and learning.

Anyone else experiencing this?

3 Likes

From their FAQ:

We support the latest versions of Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Mozilla Firefox. We also have pseudo-support for mobile browsers, although we don’t get to test them all.

Microsoft Internet Explorer/Edge is not officially supported.

That it ever worked was probably incidental.

And straight form Koichi:

Seems that it has unfortunately now stopped working.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. Weird I’ve been using it on old IE since I started in March. Seems odd that it started not working just from Monday.

Also a weird choice not to support IE. As I assume a lot of subscribers live within Japan and use office computers I.E computers that will only use internet explorer and lock out other browsers. I’ve worked I. Several IT positions and as a professor and literally every work computer I’ve dealt with has been locked to windows explorer if you didn’t have permissions.

Not really. IE 11 has been a dead product for years. It limps along, but it’s had no new features, etc. added in years.

5 Likes

I can kind of see where their reluctance to support IE comes from. IE itself is quite old at this point, and simply has trouble with a lot of modern web features or requires workarounds to get it to support them. They’d have to rewrite a large portion of the website just to support a single browser, and maintain it separately.

3 Likes

That said, it is a bit weird to not support Edge, at least the new Chromium version.

7 Likes

Again, large base of customers in Japan. Most companies dikk use IE 11 or older in Japan. Effectively barring off customers who rely on work computers in Japan .

Also pretty easy to make functional on IE (not good or pretty but functional)

The FAQ looks like it was written pre-Edgium.

I understand, but IE’s market share is in the single digits worldwide these days. I would also expect that Tofugu made the decision based on their own collected statistics from people using the site.

I’m not saying your concerns don’t exist, but IE is a niche browser these days and probably costs way more to support than it’s worth which is why it’s never been officially supported.

4 Likes

To a point but I think the Japan based customers don’t by care if the sites pretty. Just functional to use at work. U don’t know about other people but I work 16ish hours a day. I get some shots to do it at work but if I can’t do it at work it makes doing wanikani a pain in the ass. Bunpro and kaniwani work on IE

I actually got some co-workers to use wanikani because it’s helping them learn English haha.

You’re free to email Wanikani, but I’m guessing nothing will have changed since Koichi’s answer in that linked post. Again, I understand the frustration, but a tiny company doesn’t have the resources to maintain support for every niche browser (yes this does include IE these days).

2 Likes

Admittedly a very small number of users

3 Likes

Worked in IT not long ago. It’s actually not difficult to keep webpages functional on IE. I work and live in Japan so maybe it’s because we’re experienced in it but we had one guy updating a ton of client websites and it took him like 2 hours a day and he than pretended to work for 8 hours. He lived a blessed life.

I imagine since they haven’t support it since their inception it’s probably more of didn’t want to rather than analytics based decision which is fine. Just sucks for almost all Japan based users.

I worked for bloody Citibank out here and they used IE. It’s just how Japan works. Do you have an outdated way of doing the ngs? Should we change? Let’s run it up the vurecraucy for 10 years than change.

My prediction is they switch to chrome or Firefox in 15 years once no one uses it.

Fax machines will still be in use.

I think this would be harder than you might think. I assume WaniKani is using modern features for both site layout and functionality. As a simple example, I assume WaniKani will be using some form of asynchronous request during reviews to check if the answers are correct. Historically, if you wanted to make such a request, you’d have to treat IE as a separate case just to fetch the content.

And then there’s the fact that due to IE officially not being supported anymore, a lot of libraries have already dropped support for IE, which would mean they’d have to implement the functionality themselves or find other libraries to replace them, which would require a refactor of the entire site.

Then there’s newer markup to consider to make sure your elements end up on the screen in some logical positioning. IE doesn’t support modern layouts (or CSS3 at all), so they’d have to rewrite most of it solely for IE.

And since IE is no longer maintained, it also doesn’t support a lot of modern standards. For example, take secure connections, IE doesn’t support TLS 1.3 (the newest secure connection protocol), and most versions of IE require you to manually enable TLS 1.2 (the version before that), everything older than that is already deprecated, so I assume the site has these disabled for security reasons. Thus most versions of IE wouldn’t be able to actually connect to the website at all if they want to ensure safe connections.

So all in all, there would be a lot of hurdles just to get WaniKani to be functional on IE. And since it’s quite outdated, I’d say it’s probably more trouble to support IE than it would be for most people to use a more modern browser. Unless you’re specifically targeting a demographic which uses IE, it’s not worth supporting it in this day and age.

6 Likes

Since we’re just going in circles now, I’ll just bow out since none of us discussing it now can change the situation. Best to email Wanikani or ping the Mods, Admins or Koichi if you want an answer from someone of authority.

@viet

3 Likes

I wonder if that’s true. I do not know he w many people use wanikani. I know at least 20-39 people who use it here and I have a very small social circle.

Could be true. I would assume a lot of ALTs use it. I know a lot of IT Bois who use it sparadically but still pay for it.

There’s more than 100万 foreigners in Japan. Probably a large number of them would use the product if it were marketed to them. Make a partnership with language schools here. There are thousands of them and I’d assume it’s be a great growth market.

Put in n Vietnamese support if you can and there are sooo many vierltbamese people studying the language in Japan. So many that soumatone and ianzeb master’s makes textbooks specifically for them.

I don’t know. Maybe it is a smaller part of their market. But if it is that’s a huge failure on their sales department and marketing.

I like talking about that bit I have an MBA and don’t get to talk shop as often as I’d like.

1 Like

It could be. I mean we had a dedicated engineering beer doing outlr client updates and keeping sites available in IE because it’s one of the most used browsers inside companies in Japan still. Largely because eof stubbornness and slowly adaptating culture. There’s a residence etc change here partly due to how old everyone is who makes the decisions. Our guy worked about two hours a day before pretended ng to do work.

Making a site functional as opposed to pretty isn’t that grave of an undertaking.

I thought nkni f they’re not pushing to the language schools and foreigners living in Japan as a part of their sale strategy they’re doing a bad job of it. As I said before their are over 100man foreignersm. A large portion of who are University students to rnoa good age school students.

Most of whom would use a Service that gives them a step up if it was marketed to them or supported their language. (Which wouldn’t be all that hard to do).

If they’re purely focusing on people studying Japanese in English speaking countrues or their home coubtries it is extremely short-sighted of them. I used to be a low-medium level Japanese teacher in Harlem (random I know) . I would have had my students US ng wanted Kani had I known it existed. I would have asked my school for the funds to buy each student and account had to known it existed and they offered deals to schools (like many educational softwares do). That was back in 2011-2012 in my loan year as a public school teacher and wanikani was very new than but I wonder if they do that yet.

I was going to be a teacher but my degree cost 250k so I went and got an MBA and sold my soul instead. It was not a solid ROI or hasn’t been yet.

I’m not fixing it but sorry for spelling errors and weird corrections. Writing on my phone. Trying to look busy.

1 Like

Fair enough. I accepted your first answer. Just think it’s a bit short sighted and replying to those who don’t think it’s short-sighted. Not you so much.

I’m really surprised they don’t market to language schools. It’s a huge market and almost without a doubt they’d be able to make package deals for students at language schools here.

There are 21307 students on average a year. And on top of that 30000+ foreign public school students who need help in reading that would be ideal targets to market to.

At this point their small size is more a symptom of a lack of marketing and creative sales than anything else.

They’ve created a literal billion dollar program but sit on it in a niche market.

Why not practice on your phone then?

2 Likes