WaniKani New Audio Update: Part 2

Sounds fine to me on my phone.

3 Likes

I’ve been AWOL for most of the last week and only getting down to reviews now. I think the new recordings are a big step forward in clarity and accuracy. I had no real complaints with the previous work, but better is better.

4 Likes

Two things,

1. There is only audio on vocab, not on kanji.
  2. The default setting for audio on vocab is that you have to click a button to hear it, but you can change this so it will auto play when you get the vocab correct.
1 Like

My tutor pronounces ‘g’ sounds almost like an ‘n’ and it’s taken me ages to get used to!

2 Likes

WaniKani users: “WK has to change and improve!”
WK: “Okay, we’re changing and improving things”
WU: “We want the old WK back!”

11 Likes

Hi, I’m aware of my half of the “tweak” problem. Most effective is to let seanblue (actual skilled Javascript programmer) do his fix first, and then I’ll take a look and see if I can easily reproduce my own desired “audio-on-demand” functionality — I’ll finally rename the userscript to something more accurate if I do. (Meanwhile, my fairly positive experience of the new audio has inspired me to take up a new strategy review strategy, with “lightning mode” and audio autoplay, so I may not end up using my old “tweak 3” anymore anyway. But I accept the challenge as a programming lesson, insofar as it’s feasible.)

3 Likes

It does!

It might well depend on the quality of one’s speakers, I guess.

There is a great regional variation, as others have pointed out. Personally, I found people easier to understand people in Kyouto :slight_smile:

Any chance of an option to choose 京都、東京、仙台、ととえば?

3 Likes

I’m using Firefox on macOS, whatever the latest versions are.

1 Like

Yeah. He definitely likes to pronounce his ご as も. See also Large Voice. I’m just going to have to ignore him so that I don’t type おおもえ instead of おおごえ when I’m asked for the reading of 大声. Perhaps it’s a 方言 (Look at me throwing my current lesson in there :smiley:) . I guess there’s no such thing as the “Emperor’s” Japanese…

2 Likes

It’s not a ‘m’ sound, it’s called 鼻濁音 and it’s the nazalization of the がぎぐげご sounds that is common to Tokyo dialect. It’s more like the “ng” sound in “going” than an ‘m’ sound. It might sound confusing to non-Japanese people, but it is considered proper speech in standard Japanese.

10 Likes

Have you considered alternating between them in reviews/lessons? Such as ‘if you’re on an odd level, you’ll hear the male VA, and if you’re on an even level, you’ll hear the female VA’? This way we’ll hear all vocab items in both audio versions, depending on what level we are while reviewing the item.

2 Likes

Except when you hit level 60.

3 Likes

Then it can switch by the month! Odd months: male, even months: female!

Or the odd/even months thing could be done across all users.

1 Like

Or the users could freely choose in the settings whether they want the male audio, the female audio, or a randomized mix of both…

1 Like

Having the audio auto-play is a really good practice. It means you will have heard the correct pronunciation a gazillion times by the time you finish with WK, which will help your own pronunciation.

3 Likes

Funnily enough the new audio for 水銀 is suigin while the old one was suingin.

On the other hand, both the new audio and the old audio for 挙がる are angaru.

https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/水銀

https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/挙がる

You can listen to the old audio on jisho.org

1 Like

:thinking: That’s interesting. Seems like there might be some difference in use even among natives. I read that the use of the nasal ‘g’ is declining among young people, and even TV broadcasters are no longer as strict about this as they used to be, so who knows :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Here is 鍵 in Genki audio file - no ‘g’ at all its pure ‘n’ for me!
New file has ‘ng’
Old one has pure ‘g’

But ‘m’ is interesting because I assume one has to close one’s lips to make it - so its not just nasalization.

1 Like

No arguing about the old recording, that’s a pure hard ‘g’.

But the new recording and the genki one sound the same to me.

I can’t hear any ‘m’ sound in the 大声 clip though, it sounds like a nasal ‘g’ to me :man_shrugging:.

I haven’t heard any ‘m’ sound so far in the new recordings.

2 Likes

Ok,thanks to you I compared this to かに and even I can hear the difference. I will try to find out what it is, because my concept of ‘g’ is different from that sound what is in genki file.