WaniKani New Audio Update: Part 1

Just make sure to bring a speaker with you next time.

15 Likes

More Audio! I remember vocab so much better when I have the audio to listen to over and over and over and…

6 Likes

What impact will this have (if any) on people getting the vocab audio info from the API? I’m guessing the new audio will show up as a new entry in the array, or will it overwrite the current voice entry?

2 Likes

What is the reason for this update, to get higher quality audio?

3 Likes

Fo’ shizzle my durtizzle

12 Likes

I would at least pay for it as an addon…

4 Likes

That’s on the way, we just have couple things to iron out first.

Higher quality audio, consistency with volume, editing, voice actor(s), and more options for us to add to it later.

34 Likes

Will this address the audio for words that have the same syllables use the same sound file but may be spoken different due to tone direction? Any plans to implement the tone direction chart for words?

ie: 広告 and 公告
ie: 熱い and 厚い

3 Likes

It should, yes. Though please keep in mind that everyone speaks differently so not everything will match what a pitch accent dictionary will say it should be.

Not at the moment.

14 Likes

None and no. API v2 already lists the “new” audio files under the data.pronunciation_audios key on vocabulary items. We’re using Kenichi ("voice_actor_id": 2) as the default right now. As Kristen said, we’ve got plans to support all the voice actors for item details, lessons, and reviews.

API folks can get a sneak peek at what those other actors sounds like, though.

13 Likes

Don’t give them any ideas for DLCs…

8 Likes

Vocab audio loot boxes?

12 Likes

You’re making me both drool and dream right now :heart_eyes: So glad i got that Lifetime honey!!

6 Likes

I would hugely love this feature. The script is fine, but doesn’t work great, so a built in solution would be ideal.

10 Likes

I would really love audio files for the example sentences.

18 Likes

Microtransactions, here we come! A steal at 99¢ per word to get your favorite actor to speak your vocab.

Choices include: Koichi.

77 Likes

You can just take my dollar now if you want.

18 Likes

Awesome!

Can we get celebrity voice packs? I personally wouldn’t mind having Gilbert Gottfried teach me Japanese

6 Likes

3 Likes

https://cdn.wanikani.com/subjects/audio/7860-鰐蟹.mp3

29 Likes