WaniKani Mobile - [End of Support]

I just realised this uses quite a lot of data. Over 19 days it used 116 MB, and I only used it once or twice. So for people on limited data, watch out.

I have just tested this experimental build. I also have this textbox but further to the left. I have switched my phone to xperia z1, so now i have full HD.

Although i cannot see anything in textbox after i press enter correct text appears in browser textbox.

So now i can use my normal keyboard and input is correct but I don’t see what I’m writing. And no more freezes. So for me it is quite good (although i must trust that I pressed correct buttons).

Ah, thanks for the answers. I’d rather keep the integrated browser even if it’s going to eat the odd review. The app is pretty awesome, regardless.

Astarael said... I just realised this uses quite a lot of data. Over 19 days it used 116 MB, and I only used it once or twice. So for people on limited data, watch out.
 Huh.. that's way too much. Currently data comprises:
  • The historical DB: something like twenty integers per day
  • The collection of all image radicals downloaded so far
  • The web storage 
On my device it has not reached 3MB yet (+ 6MB cache). I'd be very interested to know which of the three is growing so large: if you have a rooted device, could you please check?

Al4ric said... I have just tested this experimental build. I also have this textbox but further to the left. I have switched my phone to xperia z1, so now i have full HD.

Although i cannot see anything in textbox after i press enter correct text appears in browser textbox.

So now i can use my normal keyboard and input is correct but I don’t see what I’m writing. And no more freezes. So for me it is quite good (although i must trust that I pressed correct buttons).

Very good. I’ve just released a new APK which is almost complete. I’ll wait some weeks before merging it into the main branch.  It contains many improvements:
  • The IME textbox is not hidden any more, but is synchronized with the HTML box “under” it
  • It handles orientation changes
  • It contains three important features suggested by @jabcoob, @protospork and @petitcrabe, namely:
    • Current level / l50 completion estimates
    • Replace " 〜" with “~”
    • Exit gracefully from info box during lessons mini-review
At the moment I can’t test the last two features, so I’m grateful to anyone who can tell me if they work properly (or that they don’t :slight_smile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u32dyd23udi92t1/WaniKaniMobile-1.5.1-lrev2.apk

Now this works much better and looks correct. Great job. Only error I have is when I enter “cho” it is changed to ちゅand “chu” into ちょ.

Al4ric said... Now this works much better and looks correct. Great job. Only error I have is when I enter "cho" it is changed to ちゅand "chu" into ちょ.
 Thank you for pointing this out. Here's the fix:
            https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbctzfzewmcf0kc/WaniKaniMobile-1.5.1-lrev3.apk
s84606 said...
Astarael said... I just realised this uses quite a lot of data. Over 19 days it used 116 MB, and I only used it once or twice. So for people on limited data, watch out.
 Huh.. that's way too much. Currently data comprises:
  • The historical DB: something like twenty integers per day
  • The collection of all image radicals downloaded so far
  • The web storage 
On my device it has not reached 3MB yet (+ 6MB cache). I'd be very interested to know which of the three is growing so large: if you have a rooted device, could you please check?

Sorry, my phone isn't rooted. I can tell you from looking at the in-built data logger on android, that it uses data pretty steadily, using about 5MB per day, and that all of this is almost exclusively in the background. I haven't used it since the 26th of September, but since then it's used about 61MB of data, steadily. I've restricted it now so that it only works over wifi, as I only get a 500MB allowance per month (it's crap, I know).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :\

Now it works perfectly. Thank you very much.

Astarael said... Sorry, my phone isn't rooted. I can tell you from looking at the in-built data logger on android, that it uses data pretty steadily, using about 5MB per day, and that all of this is almost exclusively in the background. I haven't used it since the 26th of September, but since then it's used about 61MB of data, steadily. I've restricted it now so that it only works over wifi, as I only get a 500MB allowance per month (it's crap, I know).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :\
 Ah.. at first I thought you were talking about the amount of stored data. You raise an important point, and I second your warning: so far there is no limitation to the network traffic the app generates. Possible sources of background traffic are:
  • A big difference between the local clock and the WK clock. Since WK gives the next review time as an absolute time, if the timeout fires and the local clock is forward, no reviews will be available. In that case the app will retry 10 seconds later (and the service 3 minutes later). This is very easy to detect: when approaching the next review time you see the spinner on the top right of the dashboard appearing and disappearing a lot of times.
  • Refresh interval is too low (this generates traffic only if the app is running and the device is not sleeping)
  • Reviews are available. In that case, the refresh interval is {4, 8, 16 .. 60, 60,...} minutes if above threshold, or {1, 2, 4, ... 30, 30..} minutes if below threshold;
To fix this, I think I'll implement:
  • A warning when the clocks look seriously out-of-sync. Actually I could autocompensate, but such mechanisms are difficult to test, and may cause troubles when e.g. the user changes manually the time. The true solution is having WK giving a relative time;
  • A mobile network daily budget. This would affect only the "background" traffic, i.e. the auto-refreshes of the app, and the polling made by the background service that issues the notification;
  • A "mobile profile" that changes the timeouts (I need some profiling to understand exactly how to tune this).

For some reason, the radical for spikes would not show up during review with the latest drop box version.

Every other kanji showed up right, but when spikes was up, it was missing the whole blue section and I just saw two text boxes.

Only reason I knew it was spikes was BC I kept restarting review till only 1 was left and then completed it in Chrome browser.

I’m not sure, but it may have been the only radical during review, so perhaps radical review is buggy?

Ascend said... For some reason, the radical for spikes would not show up during review with the latest drop box version.

Every other kanji showed up right, but when spikes was up, it was missing the whole blue section and I just saw two text boxes.

Only reason I knew it was spikes was BC I kept restarting review till only 1 was left and then completed it in Chrome browser.

I’m not sure, but it may have been the only radical during review, so perhaps radical review is buggy?

Probably the " 〜" / “~” replacement javascript is not safe for image radicals. If this happens again, could you please try exiting, switching to native or embedded keyboard, and starting a new review session? If the radical shows correctly, the problem lies there.  

EDIT: This APK should fix this problem (but if you could do the test above with the previous APK, I’d be sure I’ve hit the right spot):
                                 https://www.dropbox.com/s/42hcqql4dg0pd0l/WaniKaniMobile-1.5.1-lrev4.apk

Oddly enough, I haven’t encountered any other radicals that have shown that issue. Only spikes, the rest have shown up fine using the previous version.

This is a picture of what it looked like: http://imgur.com/8jIkRsH

s84606 said...It depends on whether the marker is on the "reconstructed gray area" or not. From what you say (and from a screenshot you posted a while ago), we are in the former case. If so, the marker is placed where the first item of level 10 has been unlocked. Could you please download and check (or send me) the results of the {radicals, kanji, vocabulary}/9,10 call? Maybe there's a l10 item which appears as if it were unlocked before time.
 Sorry for the late response.  Here's a screenshot:

I'm assuming you mean to just check the unlock dates after I make the request?  I didn't write a program or anything to check this, but I couldn't find any items that had an out of place unlock time when viewing the output in my browser and scanning with the find text tool.  I checked level 10 against levels 8 and 9; none of the items I saw for level 10 had an unlock date before level 8 or 9 items.
Ankotaro said...I'm assuming you mean to just check the unlock dates after I make the request?  I didn't write a program or anything to check this, but I couldn't find any items that had an out of place unlock time when viewing the output in my browser and scanning with the find text tool.  I checked level 10 against levels 8 and 9; none of the items I saw for level 10 had an unlock date before level 8 or 9 items.
 Ok, let's try the simple thing. Here is an APK:
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnjgvfhn5by3n1q/WaniKaniMobile-1.5.1-lten0.apk
It allows to reconstruction even if there's no need to do it. It ignores the level 10 marker and overwrites it with the unlock time of the first level relevant item. It also prints, at the end of the process, which item has been selected. I'm curious....
Ascend said... Oddly enough, I haven't encountered any other radicals that have shown that issue. Only spikes, the rest have shown up fine using the previous version.

This is a picture of what it looked like: http://imgur.com/8jIkRsH
 I believe an ingredient of this problem is the fact this is an image radical. I'm pretty sure the last fix resolves it, since I've encountered both image radicals and "~" vocab items during my reviews, and it worked well.

Two feature requests–

I’d appreciate the ability to hide the title bar to get some more screen space. Landscape view is more ergonomic for me but I can’t see as much as I’d like to at once.

Also, any hope of getting some way to override answers like that script floating around for desktop browsers? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve botched an answer because I miskeyed it. It’s killing my stats :slight_smile:

Thanks!

johnnystarfish said... Two feature requests--

I'd appreciate the ability to hide the title bar to get some more screen space. Landscape view is more ergonomic for me but I can't see as much as I'd like to at once.
I see... do you mean removing the title and the notification bars, like e.g. an ebook reader? I'll implement it as an optional feature on a release after the next (which is frozen).

Also, any hope of getting some way to override answers like that script floating around for desktop browsers? I can't tell you how many times I've botched an answer because I miskeyed it. It's killing my stats :)

Yes: I will add this option only when using the "Native IME" , though. As such, I hope to provide an early implementation soon, on the experimental (lrev) APKs, It will be an optional feature, disabled by default (so check the menu options each time you upgrade :)

EDIT: This last point was easier than expected. Here's the APK:
                   https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r4rp3welkq8zu2/WaniKaniMobile-1.5.1-lrev5.apk
The ignore answer button is one of the application menu items, that appears only when you enter a wrong answer. 
Let me know if it works acceptably (this is still beta code)

I have question about "data refresh interval ". What this option actually does? At first I thought that it is interval when it checks if new lessons/reviews are available, but it is checking all the time. So what for its this option?

Al4ric said... I have question about "data refresh interval ". What this option actually does? At first I thought that it is interval when it checks if new lessons/reviews are available, but it is checking all the time. So what for its this option?
That option tells the app how frequently to refresh the dashboard data (# of reviews next hour, next day, # of lessons and critical items).
 It has no effect on the notification service because the API gives the next review date, so there's no need to poll. 

This is a god-send. どうもありがとう、