WaniKani Mobile - [End of Support]

The “ignore answer” button seems to have disappeared for me as well. When I press the menu button, the only option that appears is “JP fonts”, no matter hiw many times I press it.

Yeah, with multiple languages downloaded you get a key to quick-switch between them. I type meanings with the english layout, then switch to 日本語 for the readings so I can swype them. I never did come out and say that, did I.

Whatever happened with the spacing thing, it was always like this with swype. You fixed it with a play store release last month (/t/WaniKani-Mobile-End-of-Support/2134/188, if I follow the thread that makes it 1.6?), and it stayed that way just long enough for me to get used to having it :<br>

The override is gone for meand the input makes me type ‘n’ twice again :confused:

I also just had an error where it showed the wrong kanji and didn’t correct itself until after I got it wrong.

altrian said... The "ignore answer" button seems to have disappeared for me as well. When I press the menu button, the only option that appears is "JP fonts", no matter hiw many times I press it.
 If you have a JB device, probably it is has been moved to the action bar. It is the "X" button to the right of the "home" dashboard button. Rethinking about it, since the icon is not that obvious, I'll move it back to the menu, next release.

protospork said...Whatever happened with the spacing thing, it was always like this with swype. You fixed it with a play store release last month (/t/WaniKani-Mobile-End-of-Support/2134/188, if I follow the thread that makes it 1.6?), and it stayed that way just long enough for me to get used to having it :\
 Ok, I'll check against rel 1.6. Problem is that I can't find any place where the swype auto-space prediction algorithm is documented..
cidsa said... The override is gone for meand the input makes me type 'n' twice again :/

I also just had an error where it showed the wrong kanji and didn’t correct itself until after I got it wrong.

Ok, clearly I have to move the override button back to the menu… The ‘n’ problem is not clear to me: the IME algorithm is not changed. Can you give me an example? I wonder if this is an effect of the lastest WK update.
Regarding the last issue, if it happens again, could you please send me a screenshot? thanks!

EDIT: Pushed to production a release that moves the Ignore button back to its place. Please let me know if that fixes it…

Just want to drop a note and say that this application is outstanding and the development is truly unmatched. With the addition of the ignore script and the improved keyboard interaction, it is really a joy to use. I hope the main interface can be updated with a clean holo appearance soon.  Thank you so much for your support and time. 

onepartninja said... Just want to drop a note and say that this application is outstanding and the development is truly unmatched. With the addition of the ignore script and the improved keyboard interaction, it is really a joy to use. I hope the main interface can be updated with a clean holo appearance soon.  Thank you so much for your support and time. 
 Thank you for your kind words: in fact, after integrating with the action bar, the next logical step is to comply with the JB UI guidelines and to start using the Holo (light, I belive) theme. At the moment, my plan is to wait a bit longer before issuing the next release, because after the most recent WK update, there's a number of new issues I'd like to fix. In particular it seems the ignore button is not visible anymore on some devices, which is my #1 priority at the time.
After that I think I'll tidy up the stats page, which is somehow confusing. I think that would be the right time frame when to try using the Holo theme.

Interesting fact: Japanese fonts appear to render correctly now with no changes needed on 4.4 (Nexus 5). Suddenly don’t need the Kanji Fix or font override. Good news for making things easier in the future.

Ascend said... Interesting fact: Japanese fonts appear to render correctly now with no changes needed on 4.4 (Nexus 5). Suddenly don't need the Kanji Fix or font override. Good news for making things easier in the future.
 Cool! Did they decide to honor the "lang=ja" attribute :)? Any improvement in the typeface, or is it still motoya maruberi?

Ok, it seems that release 1.8.x was quite troublesome. Sorry about that.
So far the most important issues are:

• Sometimes, when JP fonts are enabled, the displayed item does not match the item WK is asking for. I could not find any way to reproduce this. The only possible cause I could find is a race condition when displaying the very first item in a review session. It seems very unlikely, however if it’s that, I’ve fixed it. To make sure that I’ve really fixed it, if that condition is detected, a small dialog box is shown. If you see that, please send me its contents. If this bug happens again with the APK, please tell me so!
  • I still have some reports of the ignore button not to be shown. I’d really appreciate a screenshot with the menu opened. I’m considering the idea of moving that button inside the UI. Hope it won’t be too tempting.
  • On at least one device, the textbox freezes (https://github.com/WaniKani/Android-Notification/issues/12). If this happens to you too, contributions on that issue are welcome.
Other improvements in the APK:
  • Trailing “n” gets converted to kana in textbox. It did not cause “false errors”, because it was translated anyway before being handed to WK;
  • Added a few IME strings: ltsu, xtsu, ltu, xtu
  • Vocab items containing a tilde are displayed correctly now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmt36smehri483y/WaniKaniMobile-1.8.2pre1.apk

I have that non-working/non-appearing ignore-button issue on my android 2.3
I’ll send you a screenshot if it appears again.

s84606 said...
Ascend said... Interesting fact: Japanese fonts appear to render correctly now with no changes needed on 4.4 (Nexus 5). Suddenly don't need the Kanji Fix or font override. Good news for making things easier in the future.
 Cool! Did they decide to honor the "lang=ja" attribute :)? Any improvement in the typeface, or is it still motoya maruberi?
 It's the exact same typeface as 4.1-4.3 (the "rounded" font). It might be honoring the attribute, but I need to check the fallback_fonts.xml file when I have adb available later to see if they changed anything.

I’ve never had the ignore button show up. =/
d2tmo with CM10.2

Ascend said...
s84606 said...
 It's the exact same typeface as 4.1-4.3 (the "rounded" font). It might be honoring the attribute, but I need to check the fallback_fonts.xml file when I have adb available later to see if they changed anything.
The fallback font file is mostly the same:  https://gist.github.com/ascendedguard/7355854

It appears it does respect the lang="ja" tag now. Might be related to the new Chromium webview that Kitkat uses by default. Either way, good to see and makes the Japanese font button unnecessary on Kitkat. Its possible that the new webview also makes the Timer Reaper unnecessary on Kitkat, but I'm unsure how to test that definitively.
Narmora said... I have that non-working/non-appearing ignore-button issue on my android 2.3
I'll send you a screenshot if it appears again.
lindarthebard said... I've never had the ignore button show up. =/
d2tmo with CM10.2
 Ok, I give up. Here's an APK that puts the ignore button on the UI instead of the menu list:
           https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2ks3fogrjqx7xb/WaniKaniMobile-1.8.2rc0.apk
If nobody complains about it, I'll release soon after the next WK (just to make sure there are no additional surprises :)
Thanks!
Ascend said...The fallback font file is mostly the same:  https://gist.github.com/ascendedguard/7355854

It appears it does respect the lang="ja" tag now. Might be related to the new Chromium webview that Kitkat uses by default. Either way, good to see and makes the Japanese font button unnecessary on Kitkat.
Umpf, had they changed the font, it would have been much better. I think I'll hide the button when KitKat is detected. Yet your app is very useful, to override the default font.

Its possible that the new webview also makes the Timer Reaper unnecessary on Kitkat, but I'm unsure how to test that definitively.
 Possible... You can see that in two ways (whichever is easier for you):
  • During a long review session, after many items, the app must use no CPU at all when it is put in background. On my phone, the app took about 2% CPU for each reading question;
  • The number of threads must not increase during a review session
If this is true, you can disable "leak workaround" as well. Thank you!

s84606 said...
Narmora said... I have that non-working/non-appearing ignore-button issue on my android 2.3
I'll send you a screenshot if it appears again.
lindarthebard said... I've never had the ignore button show up. =/
d2tmo with CM10.2
 Ok, I give up. Here's an APK that puts the ignore button on the UI instead of the menu list:
           https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2ks3fogrjqx7xb/WaniKaniMobile-1.8.2rc0.apk
If nobody complains about it, I'll release soon after the next WK (just to make sure there are no additional surprises :)
Thanks!
 Oh man and I just made a screenshot yesterday :)
http://i43.tinypic.com/30wsga9.png

Narmora said... Oh man and I just made a screenshot yesterday :)
http://i43.tinypic.com/30wsga9.png

Indeed, that's useful! I see you are using the embedded keyboard: the ignore button is available only if "Reviews Kbd" is set to "Custom IME". 
The embedded keyboard has a lot of shortcomings and I'll remove it in the next release: is there any reason why you switched to that?

Ah, good to know!
I’ve already upadated the app and had some reviews with my device’s keyboard. Unfortunately (more or less ;D) I didn’t make a mistake and couldn’t test if there is an ignore now.

Good question. To be honest: I can’t remember. I know I had problems with the IME with my keyboard but I think only in the lessons. And using the embedded keyboard it worked fine. But for the reviews… I can’t remember. Maybe I had been bothered by the size of my keyboard. It takes away quiet much space.

Narmora said... Ah, good to know!
I've already upadated the app and had some reviews with my device's keyboard. Unfortunately (more or less ;D) I didn't make a mistake and couldn't test if there is an ignore now.
Lol, I hope you'll never discover, then :)

Good question. To be honest: I can't remember. I know I had problems with the IME with my keyboard but I think only in the lessons. And using the embedded keyboard it worked fine. But for the reviews... I can't remember. Maybe I had been bothered by the size of my keyboard. It takes away quiet much space.
I see; in fact the old lessons module was the only reason I kept the embedded keyboard. Now my goal is two provide two environments:
  • An "improved" environment, featuring custom IME, ignore buttons, integrated userscripts
  • A "vanilla" environment, which is just the stock browser with the WK IME. This is the fallback in case a WK update makes the other environment unusable (it is based on a lot of undocument behaviour)