WaniKani Mobile - [End of Support]

yasmatazz said...
s84606 said...Well, this APKs are exactly the files I upload to google play. What's the error message?
I see two other options: you can either sideload it, or simply wait for the end of next week when I'll upload it into production (unless I discover something really nasty :)
 It simply says "app not installed" when I try to install it from the downloads screen.  I did some googling and it seems some people have had this problem when trying to install an unsigned apk from somewhere outside of google play, though I dunno if this is the problem here or not.

I'm fine waiting until you put it into production if that's just how it is, but I was hoping I could try it out before then so I can stop screwing up my stats~
 Are both APKs signed with the same key?
I not, you must uninstall the previous version before you can install the new one.

By the way: Thanks for the nice app, I really like it :)
yasmatazz said... It simply says "app not installed" when I try to install it from the downloads screen.  I did some googling and it seems some people have had this problem when trying to install an unsigned apk from somewhere outside of google play, though I dunno if this is the problem here or not.
I double checked, but the APK is signed.. besides if that was the problem, I believe nobody would have been able to install it.

I'm fine waiting until you put it into production if that's just how it is, but I was hoping I could try it out before then so I can stop screwing up my stats~
I can understand: now that I've got it, I review in a much more relaxed way. Maybe sideloading solves the probem?
Narmora said...

Are both APKs signed with the same key?

Yes, I use only one key, and I’m quite sure I did not forget to sign it…
I not, you must uninstall the previous version before you can install the new one.
I’m almost sure that would solve the problem. However that would delete all data, and you would lose the SRS Distribution history.

By the way: Thanks for the nice app, I really like it :slight_smile:

Glad you like it :slight_smile:

johnnystarfish said…

Full ebook-style would be even better, but I’d settle for just being able to hide the “Wanikani Notifier” black stripe across the top of the screen. My phone screen is tiny so when I switch to landscape view, the keyboard takes up most of the bottom half of the screen and the title bar takes up a decent chunk of the top. I can’t actually see the kanji without scrolling :slight_smile:
 Well, it was easier than expected, and the next release will have this feature (now that I’m using it, I can’t do without it :slight_smile: Check the menu because it is disabled by default.
Besides, did you have a chance to try the experimental builds? Maybe the custom IME fixes the odd problem you reported…

EDIT:  Just uploaded the last APK, which is now the release candidate. I’m positive I’ve signed the right way :slight_smile: And it implements full screen:
                https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x2f0j35y4k02ue/WaniKaniMobile-1.6.0rc0.apk
s84606 said...
venetiansnares said...
s84606 said...
venetiansnares said...
The ability to scroll while in landscape would be nice
On which activity? on my phone I can scroll everywhere, regardless of the orientation.
 Both lessons and reviews.
Oh, I see: never noticed that because on my phone, landscape is unusable and portrait contains everything. So I thought you were talking about the app itself.
Ok, I lied: I can't see :)
I've checked with my phone and a 4.3 emulator and in landscape mode it scrolls fine. What's your android version and screen size?
Does it happen even when using the native keyboard?
s84606 said...  EDIT:  Just uploaded the last APK, which is now the release candidate. I'm positive I've signed the right way :) And it implements full screen:                https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x2f0j35y4k02ue/WaniKaniMobile-1.6.0rc0.apk
 No idea what you did differently with this one, but it installed fine with no problems on both my phone and my tablet.

Thank you so much for the latest update! the completion estimates are awesome!

Just installed the new RC and it works great. Thanks for the app! 

Consider adding the option to automatically move to next item when the answer is correct. 
Like this:
/t/WaniKani-Improve-222-—-faster-and-smarter-reviews/2858/1

Firstly, thanks to you all for the positive feedback, now I know I can release this build more lightheartedly

Satoshi said…Consider adding the option to automatically move to next item when the answer is correct.  Like this: /t/WaniKani-Improve-222-—-faster-and-smarter-reviews/2858/1

Had a look to the script: I believe the “next item” part can be easily imported: I’ll give it a try. The qtip part is more tricky because it depends on an external library and I’d prefer not to embed it. I think the more consistent way to implement that functionality is through a native view instead of an HTML popup: probably I’ll add it at a later time.

s84606 said...
s84606 said...
venetiansnares said...
s84606 said...
venetiansnares said...
The ability to scroll while in landscape would be nice
On which activity? on my phone I can scroll everywhere, regardless of the orientation.
 Both lessons and reviews.
Oh, I see: never noticed that because on my phone, landscape is unusable and portrait contains everything. So I thought you were talking about the app itself.
Ok, I lied: I can't see :)
I've checked with my phone and a 4.3 emulator and in landscape mode it scrolls fine. What's your android version and screen size?
Does it happen even when using the native keyboard?
 Nexus 10 (10" screen, 2560x1600 resolution) running 4.3 jellybean. Issue persists with native keyboard.

Here is a screenshot of the issue.

I’m sorry but either I’m blind (very likely) or I’m doing something wrong. Where is this ignore button? I cannot find it.

Al4ric said... I'm sorry but either I'm blind (very likely) or I'm doing something wrong. Where is this ignore button? I cannot find it.
 Lol, no, you are not blind: the button is simply in a position not completely obvious.
It is a menu item that appears only after entering a wrong answer (i.e. when the text box is red).
After using it a good deal, I think a menu item rather than an HTML button is the right choice on a mobile device: it is not too tempting (on large screens) and still easy to access (on small screens). Problem is to give a hint where you can find it (and I guess the message box that appears when entering the review screen the first time is not clear enough...)
venetiansnares said... Nexus 10 (10" screen, 2560x1600 resolution) running 4.3 jellybean. Issue persists with native keyboard.

Here is a screenshot of the issue.
 Thank you, this clarifies the issue (and now I remember you already gave me your specs :)
 I'll check if I can reproduce the issue: problem is I tried with an emulator running JB 4.3 and pages scrolled fine.
Even if I can fix that, however, that it would still be clumsy because you won't be able to see both the question and the answer.
Next release supports a "fullscreen mode", similar to an ebook reader: I'd suggest to give it a try (it is not enabled by default).
If that's not enough, I may try to remove some less important content. For instance the lessons navigation bar could be hidden when in landscape: it only contains a link to the dashboard..
Well, it was easier than expected, and the next release will have this feature (now that I'm using it, I can't do without it :) Check the menu because it is disabled by default.
Besides, did you have a chance to try the experimental builds? Maybe the custom IME fixes the odd problem you reported...

EDIT:  Just uploaded the last APK, which is now the release candidate. I'm positive I've signed the right way :) And it implements full screen:
                https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x2f0j35y4k02ue/WaniKaniMobile-1.6.0rc0.apk
Thanks for the fixes! As to the problems I reported earlier, the phone I had at the time was an endless source of frustration so I returned it. WK always worked fine on my old phone and still does, so that's what I'm using for now.
Satoshi said... Just installed the new RC and it works great. Thanks for the app! 
Consider adding the option to automatically move to next item when the answer is correct.  Like this: /t/WaniKani-Improve-222-—-faster-and-smarter-reviews/2858/1
Thanks to @Seiji's kind permission, here's a beta APK that has (among some other stuff) also this feature:
       https://www.dropbox.com/s/1281heomfivvasw/WaniKaniMobile-1.7.0pre0-wki0.apk
Note that it is disabled by default. Let me know what you think about: I'm still unsure whether it's stable enough to release it next week, or not.
s84606 said...Thanks to @Seiji's kind permission, here's a beta APK that has (among some other stuff) also this feature:
       https://www.dropbox.com/s/1281heomfivvasw/WaniKaniMobile-1.7.0pre0-wki0.apk
Note that it is disabled by default. Let me know what you think about: I'm still unsure whether it's stable enough to release it next week, or not.
 Thanks for the update!

I just did around 40 reviews with this turned on and it worked perfectly. I'm using a Galaxy S4 on Android 4.2.2

Hooray! That last update fixed the “swype isn’t inserting spaces between words” and “anything I type with the swype IME keyboard gets called wrong” issues that I never got around to reporting!

If you’re still up for suggestions, I have another one. 

Add the option to put the radicals and kanji in the reviews in the beginning. It can be all radicals and kanji like in this script or just from the current level like in the Wanikani customizer. Whatever you feel is better/easier to implement.

I rarely feel like doing or have the time to do many reviews on my phone but just doing those “level critical” ones would be immensely helpful. 

Satoshi said... If you're still up for suggestions, I have another one. 

Add the option to put the radicals and kanji in the reviews in the beginning. It can be all radicals and kanji like in this script or just from the current level like in the Wanikani customizer. Whatever you feel is better/easier to implement.
Had a look at the scripts: it seems feasible, though I'll schedule this for the release after the next one.
I think I'll choose the first one: it seems easier to integrate and @alucardeck is still active on the forum (I like to receive an explicit permission)

Is anyone else having issues with “compound” kana (e.g. にゅう) getting screwed up in reading reviews? When I try to type something like 「にゅう」 I end up with 「ゅう」 — which, of course, is wrong. I end up using Google Japanese Input to put those in. (The Ignore button has come in handy for that, and for the Chinese/Japanese kanji confusion that I fixed using another app from these forums.)

Other than that, great app so far.

dgw said... Is anyone else having issues with "compound" kana (e.g. にゅう) getting screwed up in reading reviews? When I try to type something like 「にゅう」 I end up with 「ゅう」 — which, of course, is wrong. I end up using Google Japanese Input to put those in. (The Ignore button has come in handy for that, and for the Chinese/Japanese kanji confusion that I fixed using another app from these forums.)
Sigh... my hope was to fix all these issues with the new IME... A few questions:
* Does it always happen?
* Are you using a Swipe keyboard, or any other keyboard that enters text "word by word"? If not, is the "n" displayed initally?
* In the example above, you enter "nyuu"?
Thanks!

s84606 said...Sigh... my hope was to fix all these issues with the new IME... A few questions:
* Does it always happen?
Seems pretty consistent, unfortunately.

* Are you using a Swipe keyboard, or any other keyboard that enters text "word by word"? If not, is the "n" displayed initally?
I use SwiftKey. Initially, I was using the built-in IME, but I had an issue with it, activated the system IME, and haven't been able to figure out how to get the built-in one back. (Tried toggling the checkbox, to no avail.)

* In the example above, you enter "nyuu"?
Correct. I apparently have no reviews due, so testing character-by-character isn't possible right now. But I can say with no uncertainty that everything is fine until I type that final 'u'; that's when the initial 'に' disappears.