Wanikani memes

WaniKani be like…

I be like…

9 Likes

It’s… done… with twenty-two minutes to spare before midnight… That was rough…

35 Likes

Oddly enough, that and its twin are ones I have little trouble with because the “two dukes” mnemonic actually works pretty well.

2 Likes

I had to read “two dukes” in at least 5 different accents to understand the connection :laughing: . I very much rely on hearing when remembering vocab (echoic memory) so pronunciation mnemonics don’t really work for me :frowning: . For 船, for instance, I don’t hear the “fun, eh?”. Rather, I remember how ridiculous the mnemonic itself is and that way remember the vocab item :smiley:

I encountered this gem yesterday:

Such a wasted opportunity T.T

6 Likes

That song released in August the same year WK went live so the mnemonic was already written.
…but that doesn’t stop the power of user synonyms.

25 Likes

Why am I even wasting time making these cheap memes when I’m supposed to be writing 4,000 words for an essay

57 Likes

how have I not seen this before. I just did the most ridiculous irl spit take n now my kybrd gonna be sticky. this is the price of laughter.
No ragrats.

3 Likes

When you confuse 鳥 with 馬, but the instructions were unclear to begin with

It’s Sunday so time for a bottle of…!

16 Likes

When its 4PM and you haven’t even looked at your review pile yet

35 Likes

I’m literally struggling with this right now!!

村人

Several times now this will crop up and I’m all “HA! I got this wrong last time! It’s むらじん”
WRONG
checks notes
“Damn! It’s むらびと、むらびと!”
村人 shows up again
“I’m ready for you this time!! むらにん!”
WRONG
:sob:

23 Likes

81 Likes

omg i’m on level 3, and tysm for making this post, because i did not know about kaniwani lmao you just saved me so much time

1 Like

4 Likes

Not sure what it is about that word but I remember having that exact problem, keep at it.

1 Like

Generally more scholarly or abstract terms will use on’yomi, while more basic terms historically used by the illiterate masses will use kun’yomi. For me, just taking a moment to consider this context during the lessons/reviews for exceptions to jukugo patterns like 村人 makes it much much easier to remember which reading a word takes.

Just look at this dunce. Do you think he ever studied any Kanji?

20 Likes

For a second there I got so confused but then realized the vocab was just reason again

2 Likes

Oh my god yes

7 Likes

This instantly burned into my brain. I had no problems recognizing 用 before, but now, this will be all I see when it comes up…

6 Likes

LMFAO i’m sorry for ruining that kanji for you

4 Likes

Ki…Kisama!!! Thanx for ruining Japanese for me!!! NOOOO!!!

4 Likes