Wanikani memes

This kanji definition screws with my brain every time…

19 Likes

note: imo the new typeface is fine

5 Likes

11 Likes

8 Likes

My live reaction to the 鬱 “gloom” kanji:

10 Likes

The great thing about 鬱 is that although complicated and scary at first, it’s super unique looking and memorable imo. It’s probably the only complex kanji I can remember how to handwrite cause it’s fun.

7 Likes

New tongue twister unlocked at level 42

4 Likes

oh no me too

4 Likes

When new users try to speedrun WaniKani:

Meme

(My first meme btw, pls don’t judge me too hard lol)

25 Likes

I’ve added a synonym for every single military rank to “colonel” LOL

9 Likes

4 Likes

Anyone knows The Office series? Jim having the nickname “Tuna”?
I laughed at this マグロ nickname :laughing: …until…

2nd image

It struck me that 真白 Mashiro was just mean and called the girl with a tan 真っ黒 :grimacing:
(I mean she’s not mean, just very silly xd)

2 Likes

WaniKani is a great resource to learn English!

(surely I’m not the only one, right?)

17 Likes

IMG_4977
I know they’re coming back soon

15 Likes

Me with “geoduck” and “yonder”

4 Likes

Timeforreviews

(Happy cakeday @Schneebguy)

6 Likes

I mean, it’s not always clear to me in English either. Is a commander a mission leader of leader of the entire armed forces? How does a lieutenant colonel relate to a lieutenant or colonel?

It gets even worse in fantasy or sci-fi. A captain can be a super important leader, or in charge of like 5 guys.

(also, apologies to all English learners about the pronunciation of colonel - I learned that one from Dennis the Menace as a kid lol)

4 Likes

I didn’t know that before! Sounds like something central.

Lieutenants suppose to be a little smaller, I think. But comparing colonel and captain is hard. There is also admiral, and maybe others?

1 Like

Even outside of military contexts, a lieutenant is a subordinate. Etymologically, it’s someone who acts in place of their superior in the superior’s absence. So a lieutenant colonel is a colonel’s lieutenant, and thus a lower rank. Similarly lieutenant commander, lieutenant general, lieutenant governor.

Though what’s always confused me is why brigadier general is below major general, and why both are below lieutenant general. They definitely sound like more impressive ranks.

On a related note, “lieutenant” is “loo-tenant” in US English, but “lef-tenant” in UK English.

Mostly because of the aforementioned difference between army and navy ranks.

That’s just the navy version of the army rank general. In Commonwealth nations, the air forces use “marshal” for the same effect.

4 Likes

WOAH I had no idea actually thanke

1 Like