WaniKani marked my "duck" answer for 氏 (radical, Clan) as correct. Why?

Why did WaniKani mark my answer as correct even though it wasn’t? It is like a built-in synonym or something?

2 Likes

It’s because that radical used to be called “duck” on WK, so it’s whitelisted so that people who remembers the old name won’t be punished.

12 Likes

Oh, I see. Were the kanji mnemonics updated to match the new name though? Or do they still use the old one?

Did you randomly guess it as duck?
It really looks like one right haha

3 Likes

They were, yes.

3 Likes

More serious question, how did you guess the answer “Duck”? :slight_smile:

And yes, mnemonics were updated, I see no ducks in WK so far.

1 Like

I mean, it kinda looks like a duck, to be honest, also I (somewhat) remembered the mnemonic, but only the “tamagochi/duck” part, so I thought it might mean “duck”.

8 Likes

This is one of the changes I was most sad about - it looks so much like a duck! :duck:

5 Likes

But does it walk like a duck? Does it quack like a duck? I think those are typically the most pressing concerns.

19 Likes

So I just came across this radical and… I just can’t wrap my head around it’s mnemonic - it doesn’t look like neither “clan”/tamagochi nor duck :frowning: any hints how to see “tamagochi” here?

2 Likes

Who do you think you are that you can question @koichi

Well, I can’t speak for the tamagotchi, but here’s a duck:

9 Likes

Or does it echo?

i guess they mean this kuchipatchi guy, not the tamagotchi egg thing itself

3 Likes

Yes, actually. It’s a myth that a duck’s quack doesn’t echo.

Oh, well, that makes a whole heap more sense. I was looking at it going “… in what way does that resemble an egg with a watch face on it? Surely by that reasoning, 井 would fit better?”

1 Like

thank you!!! This finally clicked (@koichi definitely should mention that it refers to the character and not the egg, it makes way more sense!)

More on Kuchipatchi

You can always count on wanikani community! <3

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.