Wanikani July JLPT Community Event (aka Joint Mock JLPT on July 4th, home thread)

It was enough for me. I did Intermediate Japanese (textbook)/Bunpro/Italki for when I passed. I had the N3 grammar Kanzen Master but only finished the first couple pages before the test, and managed to pass anyway.

1 Like

I started with the vocab/kanji and got a near-perfect score on that, which hyped me up so much I just had to do the other sections straightaway :joy:

I decided to spend the other 6 days of the week on ploughing through Shin Kanzen Master N4 Bunpou at breakneck speed to make sure I understand the nuances of all the grammar points. I like how Shin Kanzen Master groups similar grammar points together and challenges you to master the differences between them. I had a look at Soumatome N4, but I found the layout a bit confusing with all the Vietnamese thrown in. I do like how they explicitly divide the book into daily portions, though. Soumatome feels a bit less intimidating in that respect than Shin Kanzen Master.

1 Like

Exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks!

1 Like

Some durtles mentioned that listening is not their strongest skill … and I can totally relate to that. If you are interested we can do some listening exercises together.

What I have in mind is going through the JLPT stories podcasts. Theses podcasts are ~2~3 minutes long and graded by JLPT level. In each episode people tell a little story about things happening in their life. It is not exactly how the listening part of the JLPT test will be but it might be still helpful to listen and focus what those people talk about, I think.

In the following I propose a test setup for the first episode from the N5 series. Each episode comes with a transcript and translation → just click on the related blog post entry. I recommend though, to do the listening practice first before going through the transcript or translation.

How does it work?

Each week we can through one episode and try to answer some proposed questions. You can answer the questions per multiple choice or freely by yourself.

I recommend to download the episode only and randomly choose 3~4 questions. (Maybe start with three and see how it goes.) Read the questions once. In case you want to do multiple choice open the related answering options as well. Then start the audio file and listen to it once. Finally give yourself ~1~2 minutes to answer the questions.

The first time might be difficult to follow the podcast since you have to adjust to the voice and talking speed first. But please don’t give up :slight_smile:

You can repeat the suggested procedure the next day or day after. Just choose some different questions (or even try the same set of questions again if you like). I think you can do this maybe two or three times before you’ll become too familiar with the podcast.

Finally, you can go through the transcript or translation to make sure you understood the podcast completely. Each episode also recommends some grammar patterns used in the episode for further studies, in case you like.

If you are interested, feel free to join listening about:

• 高校生活 – JLPT N5 / April 27 2019 / Yûma

Proposed questions

Each question contains the following:

• (my attempt to phrase) the question in Japanese
  • (my attempt to phrase) the question in English
  • Suggestions what points to cover when answering the question freely (in English)
  • Multiple choice options to answer the questions (in English)

In case you spot mistakes in the Japanese (or English :sweat_smile: ) version of the questions please kindly point them out. I’m still a beginner :slight_smile:

Question 1 (Q1):
  • Japanese: ゆうまさんは誰ですか。
  • English: (Who is Yuma?)
  • Suggestions to answer this question freely: 2nd year high school student
Multiple choice answers Q1:

3rd grade, middle school student
1st grade, high school student
2nd grade, high school student
3rd grade, high school student

Question 2 (Q2):
  • Japanese: どのような学校に入りましたか。
  • English: (What kind of school did he enter?)
  • Suggestions to answer this question freely: public high school
Multiple choice answers Q2:

public high school in Tokyo
private high school in Tokyo
public high school in his neighborhood
private high school in his neighborhood

Question 3 (Q3):
  • Japanese: ゆうまさんは勉強が好きですか。じゅく(塾)にいきますか。
  • English: (Does he like to study? Does he go to prep school?)
  • Suggestions to answer this question freely: he doesn’t like studying, but he goes to prep school
Multiple choice answers Q3:

he likes studying and he goes to prep school
he likes studying but he does not go to prep school
he does not like studying but he goes to prep school
he does not like studying and he goes not to prep school

Question 4 (Q4):
  • Japanese: 高校に入った時には、ゆうまさんは心配しましたか。どうしてでしたか。
  • English: (When he entered high school, was Yûma worried? Why was that?)
  • Suggestions to answer this question freely: no he was not since his high school is in his neighborhood and a lot of his friends went to the same school
Multiple choice answers Q4:

no he was not worried, because he knew he can hang out with his friends after school
no he was not worried, because he knew his friends would go to the same school
yes he was worried, because he knew the club activity would be terrible exhausting
yes he was worried, because he knew he will have to go to prep school every day

Question 5 (Q5):
  • Japanese: ゆうまさんの日常のは何をしますか。
  • English: (What is Yumas daily routine?)
  • Suggestions to answer this question freely:
  • go to school, then go to prep school and then come home in the evening, or:
  • swimming club after school, then go to prep school and then come home in the evening
  • or something similar …
Multiple choice answers Q5:

baseball training after school, hangout with friends and play games
swimming club after school, hangout with friends and play games
baseball training after school, prep school, come home
swimming club after school, prep school, come home

Question 6 (Q6):
  • Japanese: 兄弟姉妹は何人ですか。
  • English: (How many siblings are they?)
  • two siblings (in total), or:
  • he has one sibling, or:
  • he has one younger sister
    or something similar
Multiple choice answers Q 6:

one younger sister
one older sister
one younger brother
two older brother

Question 7 (Q7):
  • Japanese: 4月から、どのような学校に通いますか。
  • Hint: this question is not about Yûma himself but one of his siblings he is talking about…
  • English: (Beginning in April, what kind of school will she attend?)
  • Suggestions to answer this question freely: famous (private) high school in Tokyo
Multiple choice answers Q7:

public high school in Tokyo
private high school in Tokyo
public high school in his neighborhood
private high school in his neighborhood

Question 8 (Q8):
  • Japanese: どうして心配しますか。
  • Hint: this question is not about Yûma himself but one of his siblings he is talking about…
  • English: (Why is she worried?)
  • her friends from middle school won’t go to the same high school as she will, or:
  • she won’t see her friends from middle school anymore since they won’t go to the same high school
    or something similar…
Multiple choice answers Q8:

she won’t see her family very often
she won’t see her friends from middle school very often
she will have to go to prep school every day
the club activities at high school will be terrible exhausting

Last but not least some feedback request :slight_smile:

• it is help full for my studies and I’m interested in doing more of them
  • it is help full for my studies but I’m not interest in doing more of them
  • it is not helpful for my studies
  • I didn’t try the listening practice - just like to poll :upside_down:

0 voters

@NathaLire senpai: hope you don’t mind I directly added my proposal for listening prep. In case you (or someone else) feels it goes off topic please let me know. I don’t want to pollute the thread :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So, I’ve finally decided to start with somewhat stricter grammar studies and to turn this mock test into a more serious attempt of approaching N2. I’ve settled on using the Shinkanzen Master grammar book and will go through one chapter in 1 or 2 days probably (depending on the time I have at hand). I plan to turn each grammar point into an Anki card that quizzes me with the example sentences from the book (and also other sentences that I encounter).
Also, for my vocab studies I will give some preference to words labelled N2 in Jisho, but I will not necessarily cram those words exclusively. Just when I encounter them in books or wherever, I will put them to the front of my deck queue.

The funniest thing is, I’m already reading a lot, and I was quite content with my understanding of the material based on my N3 grammar knowledge. So content that I sometimes thought to myself that I would probably never sit down and study N2 grammar because I just don’t encounter it as much. Now that I’ve started with studying seriously (and I’m only 10 or so grammar points in so really only dipped my toes in) I see those grammar points EVERYWHERE! I really wonder how I managed to properly understand the texts previously :grin:
Yaa, anyways, I’m sold! And as I’m writing this, I had the idea of adding those sentences to my Anki grammar deck as well, to be quizzed on them. That should spice up the boring textbook examples quite a bit. :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Nooo this is absolutely awesome, no need to check with me or anything!! On the contrary, would you mind if I add this to the first post so people can more easily find it and participate?

As you pointed out, many seem to struggle with listening, so organized practice is probably really welcome!

That’s great!! And you nicely managed to plan it all at the start of May so there’s still 2 months of preparation time left! I also have to start my stricter grammar studies so this is great inspiration :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t mind at all. Would be awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanna mention for anyone studying for the N3; I wanted to level up my reading endurance in advance of the test with something light, and found ふしぎ駄菓子屋銭天堂. Guys, it’s sooo fun to read, and actually uses plenty of grammer for N3 and loads of onomatopoeia too.

4 Likes

Check-in (#5) May 9th

How does it work?

These check-in posts were suggested by @banditraider and will be made bi-weekly (on Sundays). Please answer the questions over the indicated period (so, the past two weeks). Feel free to respond, whether you’re studying more casually, or even if you’re taking the actual JLPT! It might be a nice way to hold yourself accountable, or just see how you’re progressing over time (if you regularly respond). The format and included questions aren’t set in stone at all, so if you have any suggestions, please reply!

Q1: How have you been sticking to your study schedule during the past two weeks? (period 04/25 - 05/09)
  • I have stuck to my schedule 75% - 100% of the time
  • I have stuck to my schedule around 50% of the time
  • I have stuck to my schedule 0% to 25% of the time
  • I do not have a clear schedule, but I have studied Japanese regularly
  • I do not have a clear schedule yet, but I am in the process of making one
  • I have not started studying for the JLPT yet
  • Other (please comment)

0 voters

Q2: Have you made any changes to your study routine (if you have one) or methods during the past two weeks? (period 04/25 - 05/09)
  • No
  • Yes, I have changed my routine so I spend less time on Japanese than I originally intended
  • Yes, I have changed my routine so I spend more time on Japanese than I originally intended
  • Yes, I have cut some methods from my routine
  • Yes, I have discovered new studying methods that I would like to add to my routine (please comment!)
  • Yes, I have decided to switch my focus to a different skill (e.g., listening instead of reading)
  • Yes, but I haven’t changed my routine/methods in any of the ways mentioned above (please comment!)
  • Other (please comment!)

0 voters

Q3: How confident are you for the JLPT, right now?
  • Very confident
  • Fairly confident
  • Neither
  • Not very confident
  • Not confident at all

0 voters

Q4: What is your strength in Japanese, right now?
  • Listening
  • Reading
  • Speaking
  • Vocabulary
  • Kanji
  • Writing
  • Grammar
  • My skills are all at a similar level
  • I don’t know

0 voters

Q5: What is your weakness in Japanese, right now?
  • Listening
  • Reading
  • Speaking
  • Vocabulary
  • Kanji
  • Writing
  • Grammar
  • My skills are all at a similar level
  • I don’t know

0 voters

All polls close in 2 weeks, just before the next check-in post.

Please leave a comment if you feel a question or answering option is missing/should be changed! Also feel free to leave any other comments you might have!

2 Likes

Some things came up and I didn’t manage to create a new stricter schedule as I had intended :flushed: There’s still time, but I would feel a bit more comfortable knowing I have a plan lol

I also feel a bit overwhelmed with uni etc. at the moment, so I noticed that I tend to burn out on Japanese if I try to spend too much time on it. Therefore I’ll try to come up with an as low-effort schedule as possible. I guess this is the upside of a mock test, it doesn’t feel like I’m wasting a lot of money :thinking:

I hope things have been better for all of you!

6 Likes

Same!

I’m still reading and doing Anki and watching Netflix and stuff (at least a little), but I’ve put pretty much put everything else on ice for now. I don’t really have the energy for structured studying right now and uni kind of has to come first…

There are some specific weaknesses I have that I might not be able to fix in time because of that (listening?, grammar details??, onomatopoeia and other non-kanji vocab, keigo, …)
Oh well.

I’ll still take the mock test in July, see how it goes, and then maybe try again in December, possibly with more structure that time :laughing: I’m actually kinda interested in seeing in how far I can get without (a lot of) conscious studying, especially on the grammar section. That could honestly go either way :joy:

I also hope things have been better for the rest of you :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Oh man, it’s been another two weeks already? xD I need to pick up my pace, haha.

2 Likes

Well, I started picking up on new WK lessons and doing some structured listening practices as mentioned last week. As for the rest… :

… or at least this is what I’m telling myself :sweat_smile: But together with the two book clubs I joined here on WK there is some random grammar pattern exposure… and plenty of stuff to look up (if I like it or not).

Apart from that, thanks to the durtles giving feedback about studying with the JLPT stories podcast. Since I’m aiming for N4 for the mock test my plan is to go through 2~3 more of the N5 podcasts and then switch for the N4 series.

And for those who are interested, here is a set of six questions for the second N5 podcast:

がんばりましょう。 :muscle: :four_leaf_clover:

Q1

Japanese: 塾に入るのは、どうしてですか。
English: Why did Yuuma enroll into prep school?
Suggestions answer: Because studying for university entrance exams is difficult.

Because he wants to study more for university entrance exams.
Because studying for university entrance exams is difficult.
Because without going to Juku, university entrance exams will be difficult.
Because he hates studying. (-> Does not study on his own.)

Q2

Japanese: 塾で、何のコースが選びましたか。
English: At prep school, what kind of classe(s) did he choose?
Suggestions answer: revision class

Fundamentals class. (-> English and Maths and others.)
English, Japanese history and Japanese language class.
Revision class.
Basic level class.

Q3

Japanese: 勉強が好きになりましたか。どうしてですか。
English: Did studying become enjoyable for him? Why is it?
Suggestions answer: Yes, because English class became interesting.n

Yes, because of the interesting English class.
Yes, because of him becoming better in Math.
No, because no matter how hard he studies he does not become better in Math.
No, because terrible test results every week.

Q4

Japanese: 大学受験の試験科目は、何を選びましたか。
English: Which subjects did he choose for the entrance exam?
Suggestions answer: English, Japanese language, and Japanese history.

English, Mathe, and Japanese history.
English, Mathe, and Japanese language.
English, Japanese language, and Japanese history.
Math, Japanese language, and Japanese history.

Q5

Japanese: 大学を選ぶとき、何の学部に入りたいですか。
English: When choosing an university, which department does he want to enroll with?
Suggestions answer: he is still undecided

Literature
Sports
History
he is still undecided

Q6

Japanese: 大学を卒業したら、何になりたいですか。
English: What does he want to become after graduating from university?
Suggestions answer: He always wanted to become a professional swimmer but he doesn’t know.

He always wanted to become a professional swimmer but now he wants to become a You-tuber.
He always wanted to become a professional swimmer but he doesn’t know.
He says he wants to become a You-tuber but actually he doesn’t know.
He says he wants to become a You-tuber but actually he wanted to become a professional swimmer since he was a kid.

3 Likes