Wanikani is vindictive against the user

There’s one really easy solution, get the WaniKani Reorder Ultimate script -> https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/19088-wanikani-reorder-ultimate-2?version=225274

It allows you to do group words together and sort them by meaning/reading. So you always have to input in the same order, for example: to eat > たべる, cake > ケーキ and so on.

I don’t know if you can get that script working on a phone though, but if other scripts work, then this should hopefully work as well.

I agree with the OP that the visual cues are too subtle. I’m on level 10 but I still occasionally type in a full answer of the opposite kind and barely stop my little finger from hitting Enter. I type fast, so noticing whether my input was converted or not is too late.

Meh I feel like you should look at this from another perspective, if you mess up due to a typo, it only means you will study that particular item more. As others have said in the grand scheme of things the time you are losing to typos (especially since you will learn to associate the visual cues with the the input required) is a rounding error compared to the time you will take to reach level 60. Just enjoy the ride.

Eh, some of us got to level 17, restarted, nearly back at level ten and still make this kind of error frequently. Even going slow. I’d love a “wanikani is looking for the meaning” wobble akin to the “wanikani is looking for the onyomi” wobble, myself.

I mean that functionality is there as it is. “Wanikani is looking for the meaning” is clearly expressed by your answer being written in English, and “wanikani is looking for the reading” is expressed by your answer being written in かな. It doesn’t get much more obvious than that… :woman_shrugging:

I never considered but it seems obvious to me now that a lot of these complaints stem from an inability to touch type, since if you were looking at what you were typing as it comes out you couldn’t possibly make this mistake. I guess I take for granted that I was forced to learn this in primary school. But yeah if you’re not looking at the screen before you hit enter than no amount of visual cues will be enough. Imo any more than exist now would be distracting and annoying.

Learn to check your answers. Force yourself to do it in the beginning, it will become natural and it will pay off immensely down the line with typos and brain farts, and doesn’t take very long to do if you start practicing it early.

Yeah, I’ll second this. It is great to have a consistent order in my reviews… Maening then reading… after a while I was able to go very quickly through my reviews :+1:

I can’t like this enough. It’s always painful for me to watch my office mates type with their two index fingers and looking at the keyboard. One of the most valuable skills I’ve learned in life is to type with ten fingers. It wasn’t even that difficult, will take you about one or two weeks at the most.

Probably true in a lot of cases, but not for me. I’ve been a touch typist my whole life, and I still make this mistake constantly because my fingers are going faster than my brain, ie I type the entire word and press enter before I have the chance to correct myself.

I’m not too bothered about typos though, so I never thought of it as a big issue.

I paid therefore I am right?

Sorry but if you say there are not enough visual cues in WK to distinguish meaning and reading, and then you admit to not looking at the screen, sounds to me that the problem is not with WK, but the way you use it.

As others have suggested, for this type of mistakes (which we all do time to time) just install an ignore script, so the mistakes will not be registered.

You might also want to consider that if you’re too busy to give the screen more than a half-a-second glance, you might just be too busy to study japanese in the first place.
That shit is a huge time investment whether we like it or not, and no one never gets anywhere without time and dedication. I’d urge you to either rethink your habits and routine to set aside more time, or stick to watching 20mn of anime a day and remembering meme phrases.

I type with two fingers (and thumbs for the spacebar) - usually my middle fingers, but I sometimes use the index finger on my left hand for the middle of the keyboard. Dunno why, but I never got the hang of touch typing.

I still do so without looking at the keyboard, though.

Interesting - I have, er, challenged colour vision and I’m finding I make a lot (well, it seems like a lot to me, not counting) of these mistakes.

I’m surprised no one was created a script that creates more obvious visual cues than the black/white banner and the change to kana input. I would find such a thing useful too, because on small screens it’s not always easy to see the change from Latin to Japanese alphabet.

It would be good if there were some sort of screen wobble, reminiscent to the type used for incorrect onyomi reading input. It could be an optional setting, because judging from the comments here not everyone wants such a thing. But then again, not everyone wants or need to learn to touch type, and that just takes up more time that could be used for learning Japanese or other activities. I don’t think I use keyboards often enough to make touch typing an immediately important skill to learn, but I might try it someday.

I didn’t saw anything like that but I hope that does not happen

Appreciate the constructive or encouraging comments. I’m enjoying Double-Check, which I just installed.

No, it’s not the same. They are talking about a feature bringing up that message after hitting Enter, which I agree would be great.

Yeah I didn’t need you to point that out, i was being sarcastic. I think if you hair trigger hit enter without checking your answer than you deserve as many wrong answers as you get.

I’m sorry but I think that’s a little bit out of line, OP already said they work an 11 hour day. Just because a person has other commitments doesn’t mean they can’t use what time they do have for themselves to do something they’re interested in. It doesn’t always have to be everything-or-bust since quite often that’s just not possible, I’m sure quite a lot of the people here don’t have the perfect work/ personal situations to put as much time aside as they would like to but we’re still here trying lol :sweat:

OP, I’m curious – how come you have 150+ items in your review queue per day? Do you only do reviews once a day? Do you do all of your lessons at once? How’s your accuracy other than those mistakes?

You’ll have a lot less work to do if you split your reviewing to 2-3 times a day – clear out your reviews before bed, and the next day at work you’ll have some more time to dedicate to each item. I also suggest not doing your outstanding lessons all at once but rather keep them at a steady pace, otherwise you’ll find yourself snowed under them within 2-3 levels.

It ends up that way because I can rarely take the sort of breaks during the day that would alleviate the stacked-up workload I’m presented with when, at the end of my day, nobody needs my attention. I completely agree with you; I would love to be able to control when and how people need my attention during the day, but that’s not how my profession works. There are other times I might have a month or so break between projects, in which case I can zoom ahead in my studies and dedicate the proper time.

I’m not in my twenties, living alone and have time to burn. I’m in my forties, with children and adult responsibilities, a demanding profession that sometimes means OT (beyond the normal 11 or 12 hours a day), and fatigue can lead to leaving study aside until my mind is fresh again. I do project-based work, which means deadlines and high expectations, which is anathema to consistent study of a foreign language, but I don’t give up.

Sometimes I try to review at lunch, when nobody needs my time, but that’s the trouble with the nature of it: it’s work, not leisure. It’s not always a break to review kanji—it’s a matter of self-discipline. I am disadvantaged compared to most people who work in terms of freedom of time spent because I work my ass off to keep my family and my business in the black, so if I bitch that a slight change to WK would make my time using a paid tool more meaningful and a better value (and thanks to someone here, I’m now living that dream!), that is a natural consequence of a busy life.

The dream I’ve held to, since the very height of the バブル経済時代 when I first visited Japan, is fluency. If you fail to achieve it in your youth, you may reach an age when you are ready to take it on with a more serious mind. So be it, I have orders of magnitude more responsibility than I had back then, and it makes it a lot harder. I may not be a consistent, or even good studier, but I’m still determined.