tenor-1

4 Likes

“Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.” – Kylo Ren, stable genius

7 Likes

See you in 10 months

4 Likes

You’re gonna bump it, aren’t you. :wink:

3 Likes

Threat, challenge, or simple statement of fact? WE MAY NEVER KNOW!

3 Likes

There should be a Necrolord durtle :joy:

5 Likes

Well played. I started reading the responses to this thread as if it was made today being the 18th, only to realize it was January 2018. Only then did I realize that there was no way there could be THIS many responses in one day and suddenly I’m in Feb 18.

Edit: Also, it looks like I was reply 666 despite it being post 680… Dun, dun DUUUN!

7 Likes

I totally disagree. I went into Wanikani knowing it would teach me kanji. That’s what I paid for. And the order they do it is great. That’s the whole point. It’s a learning tool with a very specific purpose. And the way it does it match my learning style.

Vocabulary is something I learn outside Wanikani. Same thing with grammar. That’s why I a have a teacher.

2 Likes

You kinda replied to an account which doesn’t exist any more…

Is that what you came back after seven months to do? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Regrettably after a Discourse update, if a topic hits 10k replies a bot will just create a continuation topic. This thread will never die.

1 Like

The anon user is still a subscriber, tho. Otherwise their level bubble would be gray

Your group (hence colour) won’t be updated until you log out and back in. I don’t think anon will be able to do that.

I haven’t logged out in months, and my level keeps being updated

3 Likes

I swear there are people that no longer exist or aren’t still subscribed, yet their circle is blue.

Then the forum’s servers must love you, I have to log off and log in every time xD

2 Likes

I think it auto updates on a regular interval or something. Not that I really know the exact timings, I switch devices so often I have to log back in often enough that my level is usually up to date anyways.

1 Like

I just saw this post while lurking around after reviews :slight_smile: Scrolling a bit it seems it was quite sufficiently answered, but why not add a beautiful quote from Alexander Grothendieck; although relatively new to Japanese and WK it seems to me that the approach to kanji learning taken by WK is similar to Grothendieck’s approach to mathematics, namely, build up theory (radicals, kanji) slowly, and then when ripe attack the problem (so instead of being hit hard directly with a difficult kanji 達 to learn that “friend=友達” you learn simple radicals and kanji first, which partly means having to learn a less common word, 友人, first, so that when time comes you’ll learn the more common word with ease).

Enough of me, Grothendieck says it better:
“I can illustrate the … approach with the … image of a nut to be opened. The first analogy that came to my mind is of immersing the nut in some softening liquid, and why not simply water? From time to time you rub so the liquid penetrates better, and otherwise you let time pass. The shell becomes more flexible through weeks and months — when the time is ripe, hand pressure is enough, the shell opens like a perfectly ripened avocado! A different image came to me a few weeks ago. The unknown thing to be known appeared to me as some stretch of earth or hard marl, resisting penetration … the sea advances insensibly in silence, nothing seems to happen, nothing moves, the water is so far off you hardly hear it … yet finally it surrounds the resistant substance.”

2 Likes

Interesting thread… I’ve read the first hundred, or so, posts (way too many) and then skipped to the last 20-30.

The takeaways, in a nutshell: The OP was a bit stubborn to accept what WK is about (kanji recognition vs. vocab learning tool), even after being explained many times that what he wanted the WK to be (quickly learn useful vocab based on his Japanese knowledge level) wasn’t its stated goal. Then, he just couldn’t accept that WK wasn’t customizable to his needs, even more so, stating that it couldn’t be useful to anyone else because of that. Very self-centered way of looking at the world around you.

P.S. I will keep expecting this thread to be resurrected forever now. There always will be a “lost” soul making sure it won’t close for another year :rofl:

2 Likes

saying that about the break up is completely uncalled for and unnecessary.

8 Likes

Agreed 100%!!! No reason to make it personal. That was just immature :-1:

1 Like