Wanikani is just not useful enough, but could be

Ha I thought it said this was posted in Jan. 19, whoops! I think I’m gonna be making that mistake for a while :sweat_smile:

I’m just gonna delete that :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:t3:

To be fair, when I first started here, I had no idea how Discourse worked, and it looked to me like there wasn’t that big of a community and very few threads in the forum. So I promptly revived a six month old thread to say… “I disagree.” Anyway, I realized that I was only looking at the tip of a very large iceberg when it came to community discussion.

But goodness gracious! @Belthazar was being very nice. No reason to get all snippy.

Maybe hes an aspiring barber

y-you’re an aspiring barber

A barber of Seville, or a (demon) barber of Fleet Street?

Fellow, I’ve been using all the vocab and kanji that I learned here in my daily life since the level 1, and it has worked just right for me.

Yes :durtle_the_explorer:

I just realized the mnemonic for 首 no longer matches up with the new radical (which has nothing to do with an alien now).

I could think of no place better to complain about it than this ancient thread about WaniKani not being useful.

Now back to my reviews.

I know you’re being facetious, but if someone actually wants them to change it, emailing or at least mentioning it in the overhaul thread would be the way to go.

I emailed :). I still see an alien in 首, ha … but I’m glad I was fairly early in when they changed over.

I also live in Japan and my speaking ability is above my Kanji ability. I think that the order in which kanji is taught is fine. It very loosely follows the JLPT levels while also trying to teach you kanji relating to the radicals as they come along. The fact that it strives to do both of these things is, in my opinion, it’s biggest weakness as well as it’s strength.

Yes, it means that kanji like 達 get taught later but isn’t learning new ways of saying something extremely useful? There often subtle differences in the nuances.

Also, the vocab taught here is really just for memorizing the Kanji. If you want to learn vocab, memrise is better. Lastly, you need to learn all of these kanji anyway right? So long term, the order does not matter.

I think the biggest problem is the retention rate you talked about. Which means WK doesn’t work for you. Power to you for stating your opinion but I think your qualms with WK are definitely less objective and more subjective than you think.