Wanikani is just not useful enough, but could be

if you’re interested, wkstats.com lists the n1 and joyo kanji not taught by WK…

Wanikani is a kanji application and the vocabulary is basically just training you to understand the readings and to be able to learn more vocabulary and kanji faster and for that it’s very effective. It’s not telling you to use 友人 instead of 友達, the reality is that 人 is just one of the easiest kanji to remember and it reinforces your readings of both of the kanji.
I recommend using anki to study kanji vocabulary along with wanikani.
Edit: oops signed into my wrong account to post this.

Yep, exactly

Hi! A slight warning here: it can be worth checking how old threads are before you reply. The “suggested topics” list at the bottom of every page doesn’t really filter out threads that are ridiculously old, and you kinda just bumped a nine-month-dead threat to say “I agree”.

Yep, exactly.

I just checked and it doesn’t seem that you are an administrator (are you?), so you are not in the place to be scolding me or in giving me warnings…

Normal people can give each other friendly advice if they think it might help someone.

Yowzers

turbo yikes

@Belthazar is the administrator of hearts.

so which is it, new threads all the time, or necromancy?

because discourse encourages the latter, and personally, i rarely check for thread age.

Some things rather should stay dead :slight_smile:

Necromancy to add new information is one thing. Necromancy to say “I agree” is something else altogether.

And necromancy of this thread in particular, to say “I agree”…

I think what we all need to take a moment to remember when discussing necromancy and the controversy surrounding it is that wanikani is just not useful enough, but could be.

I actually re-read most of that thread, and I guess I felt… sad?
I wonder what happened of OP. I hope they moved on with their Japanese journey (instead of just giving up and surviving off “これをください” while handing over a cup ramen to a kombini cashier)

Well, if the OP is to be believed, he was close to fluency, so that wasnt exactly the situation he was in. Mostly he wanted to read kanji better, not improve his speaking skills.

That’s kinda weird, since he was adamant on wanting to learn stuff that would be useful in everyday life :thinking:
But regardless, if he stopped practicing Japanese altogether (very possible in a major city like Tokyo), his level would probably just melt away.

He’s long since deleted his account. This thread was recently brought back from the dead.