Wanikani is just not useful enough, but could be

I.e.: It may not be in my active vocabulary, but should be in any reasonable speaker’s passive vocabulary.

WK is also structured such that I swear useful every day words begin to radically pick up in the late teens and early twenties. It’s just that life isn’t structured around kanji complexity, while the way WK introduces words is.

I feel low level and I am the highest level of anyone I’ve seen in this thread (*edit, I only say this to highlight perseverance and sticking with the platform)

I think OP should at least reach level 20 maybe even 30 before he starts criticizing the usefulness of the platform. You’ve got a LONG way to go bud and with that mindset you’re never going to make it to paradise. I live in Japan as well and I’ve heard the "my spoken Japanese is amazing but- " declarations tons of times. It goes in the same bucket as the “self-assessed N2” ones.

I can say definitively there is no way in hell I would have gone straight to N3 in 4 months, then N2 6 months later without WK. I like the program and when I pass N1 (failed once) it’ll be in large part due to WK.

To be fair, I was level 60 when I made my first reply in the topic.

I will declare I’m level 73.

OP deleted?

Reading/newspaper vocabulary and grammar != spoken vocabulary and grammar; at times, they are two different languagesに違いない. As Google search declares, WK is a Kanji Learning Application. Using it to learn conversational vocabulary, and then complaining that it doesn’t work…well, that doesn’t make sense; perhaps you just misunderstood what WK is for.

I’m one of the few students in our training center using WK for kanji acquisition (vs internally-provided materials and methods). Today, thanks to WK, I could read the paragraph below, because WK had taught me 乾い, 枯渇 and 潤, which are kanji/vocab ‘we don’t use’, whereas my classmates had no idea what the writer was trying to convey.

乾いた地域社会にとって、子ども食堂は小さなわき水に過ぎないかもしれない。しかし、地域から自発的に始まった取り組みが全国に広がっている。子どもたちを潤そうという活動を枯渇させてはならない。

I wonder if there’s cake at level 120.

No, it’s a lie.

I am a newbie here but Wanikani doesn’t claim to be an English to Japanese training system, just Japanese to English.

None of the reviews are “here is some English, how do you say it in Japanese.” You never input kanji. It doesn’t teach stroke order. Its training is based on the kanji existing and being approximately simple enough to recognise for your level.

It’s “could you read this and understand it if you saw it” and not “you should use this."

Hey Thorn, can you do me a favor? Visit your WK settings and go to the “account page”. Grab your API Key (not the beta one the regular first one) and plug it in here

http://peterkinnaird.eu/kani/#

The site is a bit buggy, but I’m just curious if you scroll down on the “progress tab” I’d like to see a screenshot of just how much N1 Kanji you have picked up on in the next 7 levels (until i reach your level)

This is where I’m at at level 51

FYI you can use www.kaniwani.com if you want the E>J functionality

Oh it wasn’t a complaint or anything. Wanikani doesn’t seem to be designed for that. That’s why, per OP, it teaches words based on simplicity rather than usability. E->J would need a radical reordering.

After all, 四 and 五 are in separate levels to 三 and 六. It’s deliberately J->E based on complexity.

Interesting. So it seems even at level 60 we will not have all of the N1 Kanji

Generally “N1 kanji” is defined as being all of the joyo kanji, but there are a bunch of things that are joyo kanji that will probably never appear on N1 because they are used primarily in place names or other cultural things that the N1 isn’t aiming to test people on. Sure, some things WK doesn’t cover are worth checking out, but we shouldn’t expect a 1:1 list to be an effective use of time.

For some reason I was under the impression that WK Level 60 was teaching us all of the Joyo Kanji

There are even kyouiku (elementary school) kanji that aren’t taught here, like 蚕.

Confidence in preparation for N1 just plummeted

Eh, all the kanji questions on the two N1 tests I’ve taken (last year’s July and December tests) covered kanji that were taught here. Though in some cases the specific words were not taught here.

What other resources do you recommend?