Wanikani is just not useful enough, but could be

Do you routinely respond to conversations in person that ended weeks ago? Because if so, that’s your problem, not mine.

And there’s a very big and clear difference between “one yen” and what “zero yen” means.

2 Likes

You are right. I misread. I thought they were one yen.

That does not negate the fact that you do not need to be mean in your dealings with people. :slight_smile: Even tho I appareantly did something stupid in your eyes.

2 Likes

What @Syphus said.

Whatever conversation you are referring to wasn’t related to the original topic. It’s too old to just bump it.

0 yens books feel like copyright infringement, which against the rules of the forum.
1 yens books are routinely found on Amazon.

Edit: My point is about visibility. If you bump this thread, people will not know what you want to talk about and will probably not see your message. Making a clearly titled thread specifically about your question will male it easier for people with answer to find it, while keep this unrelated thread on its way to death.

(It’s of course fine to bump it if you want to talk about the original topic, but that was not the case)

5 Likes

@Nath Fair enough. My miscalculation. I will try to pay more attention.
I must admit I didn’t see the post before Momoiro’s questions was 28 days.

Thanks for your reply.

2 Likes

Wow. I’m completely flabbergasted. I feel awful for asking at all. I thought this place was non-judgemental and free of petty attacks.

I’m sorry I’m so ignorant of the internet and for not knowing the differences between 1 yen and 0 yen. It was an honest question in response to what someone else posted.

Edit after seeing @Nath ‘s post: My mind did not go to copyright infringement type of resources when I read what Vanilla had posted. I was curious as to what kind of places would let you have access to them for free, hence my question. If I knew he was referring to any “illegal” resources”, I wouldn’t have bothered asking.

6 Likes

Well, it’s hard to know whether you were making an honest mistake or asking for help doing copyright infringement. :man_shrugging:
It’s easy to go for the worst case scenario.

1 Like

It is human nature to go for the worst case scenario. But I found the reaction overly harsh.
And that is why I was happy with your response :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure, everyone makes assumptions, but there are better ways to express opinions without telling people they

I appreciate your more diplomatic replies, so at least thank you for that.

1 Like

I’m also not a fan of the sarcasm and mean-spirited attitudes some people use in their replies here on the forums. You can, indeed, still be kind even if a question seems stupid to you or has an obvious solution.

I just wanted to say that most people on the forums are nice. In my opinion, at least.

13 Likes

Wow… that is actually uncalled for.
We both misunderstood. Because Jprspereira was talking about 100 yen stores and 1 yen books.

And yes… when you display poor manners you can be called out on them. Just because someone tried to do something bad (be it on purpose or not) doesn’t mean you are allowed to be a giant @%.

You could just say “hey… copyright infringement is not okay” but no. You had to be mean. And call people idiots.

10 Likes

I am so grateful to read your post. Not being native English speaker I have been reluctant to try to put my thought on this together coupled with the fact that I am too busy.
I have actually lived in Japan for a year and Eight months now. But before I moved to Japan I been married to a Japanese for two years and we lived in my country, then I tried different ways to learn Japanese but she told me it’s best learn by communication.
Suddenly we moved to Japan but happened to be in remote part of Hokkaido and with our little Son having no way to pick up basic English we decided to communicate by English at home which of course is affecting my Japanese communication and learning.
When I came across WK I thought this is exactly what I needed but I noticed too that most of the vocabs I am learning is quite different from few I already know because each time my wife will say we don’t used this we don’t use that. Reading it from you makes a lot of sense to me because you know this everyday language of Japanese more than I do.
Your suggested modifications will be so good for wanikani to consider. I for one need everyday vocab. Not JET exams whatever. While we are here our reasons are different and if it’s not satisfied, it’s a kind of big elephant project.
Meanwhile I am trying it out for one or two month s and if it not taking me where am headed to I may think again. Why I do appreciate this site because it’s closer to what I need than everything else I have tried.
Every place i find myself I am with friends or fellow workers who can’t understand any English so hard for me to learn Japanese because they can’t even tell me anything in English so I need to build my real life vocab so I can get the sense and respond effectively. Once again thanks for bringing this up.

Finally this thread is back!

The conclusion last time was that WK is for learning kanji, not vocab. Vocab is only here to reinforce the kanji. But there are lots of vocab resources out there, look at this thread: The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List! :smile:

But seriously, have your wife teach you Japanese! Kids can pick up two languages at the same time.

2 Likes

Just so you know, the original poster of this thread deleted their account (as can be seen by the randomly generated anon user name), so they cannot see the post. :wink:

Of course, there is no problem with suggestions, but I do have to counter that adding “everyday vocab” would likely hurt the site’s system than help it, as this is a kanji learning website, not a vocabulary one.

As you have mentioned it, however, do you remember any examples of words your wife said the Japanese don’t use? As their are only two vocabulary words in my 31 levels I’ve never seen used (one of which was removed by the time I was level 11), I highly doubt that claim. Since this is a common argument of low-level users when discussing this topic yet never seems to yield applicable examples, I am forever curious. Do you by chance remember any particular words you’ve encountered so for that she said aren’t used? :open_mouth:

1 Like

By the time I get your level I will to be saying as you do. Quoting myself too " this site it closer to my need than everything I have tried until now. Wonder why you didn’t see or mention this.

I’m sure it’s the same thing as always. The native Japanese person (and sometimes the WK user too) just doesn’t grasp that this is a reading website, not a general Japanese website, when they declare that “we don’t use that.”

People also just seem super enthusiastic to jam any old word they learned how to read in kanji into their conversations without checking any further than the WK lesson.

3 Likes

Thanks, we are trying , hence I am here, coupled with her effort teaching me on real time and occasions.

Just grab a text book like Genki and do a lesson per week together with her, and point at random things all day to learn what they are called. Together with directly applying your new knowledge in Japan you should be speaking in no time! With a bit of knowledge you will find it easier to discuss more stuff with your co-workers as well. You can keep the kanji for later. Good luck!

Nonetheless, I’m still amused by those comments each time I come across those words that “aren’t used” in practice. I’ve heard plenty of times “we don’t use this” when verifying the grammar of a 熟語する verb compared to its usually synonymous 訓読み verb partner, yet always end up seeing or hearing said する verbs somewhere after. It’s even more amusing when they’re surprised I know those things when they do appear.

I wouldn’t be surprised if many of these circumstances were indeed using the word in the wrong context though, as I have committed that mistake myself before more times than I’d like to admit. :smirk:

1 Like

I also have a sneaking suspicion that “we don’t use this” really means “I wouldn’t usually use this but obviously I know what it means and wouldn’t bat an eye at another Japanese person using it.”

20 Likes

It’s probably some part of the Japanese genes that kick once they realize you might be actually able to learn the language to an advanced level, and then try to prevent any unexpected improvement :smile:

1 Like