Wanikani for Japanese people

Hi everyone
Does anybody know of a Wanikani-equivalent SRS system designed specifically for Japanese learners of English? (Croccycrabby, perhaps?)

Cheers
yakitorimaster

1 Like
4 Likes

WaniKani is a kanji-learning website, so there’s not really an English equivalent.

For any old SRS, Anki will do.

3 Likes

Very useful, thank you!

1 Like

Do you mean for learning English vocabulary? I feel like a lot of Japanese learners of English get plenty of experience with drilling vocab already…

2 Likes

I have seen people using some apps with a simple SRS, or paper flashcards. But it also showed me that knowing what cromulent means doesn’t help you to speak English.

2 Likes

Gotta love the way these books teach one-to-one vocab! With little to no mention of synonyms to be seen.

What’s “paper” in Japanese? 紙? No, no. Only 論文 or レポート.

1 Like

:joy::roll_eyes: “Wow! You save a lot of kids!”

Does anyone know of a mnemonic-based SRS system for learning English?

In my experience, iKnow isn’t a great solution for learning English (or Japanese), since it doesn’t use mnemonics. It’s just brute force SRS, which is ok, but it doesn’t hold a candle to wanikani’s mnemonics.

I used iKnow daily for years, and was still basically guessing most of the time. It’s a very slow way to learn, if you can’t remember words easily - which is what mnemonics give you.

PS: I do love iKnow’s “Rapid Choice” and “Listening” games for listening practice. It’s a great addition to your wanikani practice if you use the wanikani iKnow courses.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.