WaniKani Explorer Update

now that I think about it, I was playing around with the html insert script on that kanji with that page because I actually found an image with Dennis wearing a Tie Dye shirt from the movie. But, I couldn’t get it to work, so I just typed the comment above instead.

OK thanks. That’s helpful – sounds like some HTML may have been messing up some parsing I was doing. I’ll look into that.

For the time being: have you reset your data and reloaded? Enter your API key then click the “Reset Data” button. This will erase any old data that’s sticking around that might have problematic stuff in the comment.

If you’ve already done that though, something else might be going on.

yep, I did that “reset data” too and that didn’t help. Although I tried to use the “wanikani markdown notes”, I don’t have anything under the ookii entry at the moment (although I suppose I might have a sample html markup note lingering around in another comment somewhere since I was trying to get the cat picture example for that to work).

I had this comment in a radical … I deleted it and now it works ! Not sure if you did anything or if I did by deleting this from a note but it now works. at the time i was entering this in as a test markup , although I had disabled the markup script and was still getting the error up to deleting this line.

a dog sitting on Dennis’ shoulder from Jurassic Park

OK – cool. I didn’t do anything on my side yet to address, so I think you deleting it was the trick. Still, I’d like my app not to break with things like this so I’ll see what I can do to fix. Thanks again for using it!

Hi ZenBrayn,
Thank you very much for this amazing app. I have little problem, when i try to download the information into excel the column with the kanji or the kana does not display properly, as in it shows gibberish character. i have installed the language expansion for excel. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Hi @stefoz – thanks for using the app!

I see the exact same thing with Excel. For some reason, Excel doesn’t properly read the unicode characters by default. However, you can get around this by doing the following:

1. open an empty workbook
  2. In the menu bar select: Data → Get External Data → import from text file
  3. Select the .csv file on your computer
  4. THE IMPORTANT PART: in the first screen of the wizard, under “File Origin”, select “Unicode (UTF-8)”
  5. Also, make sure you select the “Delimited” option.
  6. On the next screen make sure you select “comma” as the delimiter
  7. Finish up the wizard process and you should be good to go.

NOTE: I’m a Mac user, so these were the steps I do in the Mac version of Excel, but I expect the Windows version to be very similar. Also note – if you’re a Mac user, Numbers reads these files just fine without any additional setting.

Hopefully that does the trick for you!

This looks SO like the perfect tool I have been wishing for, but I am getting a “disconnected from the server” error when I try to load my data. The Loading Data progress bar starts, gets to about the “d” in “Loading” and quits. Reload and/or reset does not resolve. Running Windows 10. Any suggestions?

Hi @blu747 – sorry you’re running into issues. I checked the server logs and there was some unspecific error messages that may have been related to your problem (but they weren’t helpful either).

Have you been able to use the app successfully in the past? Are you trying to access from school or work where the network might be restricted in some way?

Thanks!

Hello - and thank you so much for your quick response!

No I have never been able to get the app to work for me. I tried 7 or 8 months ago but was never successful. I saw your recent update comment today and thought I would try again, but alas, no dice … same “disconnected from the server” error after starting to load (or seeming to) my data.

I am accessing the website from my home using various devices: 1) Dell laptop running Windows 10 using Firefox and Chrome; 2) iPhone and IPad mini using both Safari and Firefox). The laptop connects via a personal wifi router served by a small wireless broadband provider. I am not aware of any network restrictions that would be operating here. The speeds are not jet hot (we live in the country and settle for what we can get!) but it is usually around 1 mbs … just fast enough to stream video. The iPhone and iPad utilize either the wifi or AT&T 4G. I do operate behind a VPN most of the time on all devices but have tried all the device/connection/browser combinations, with and without the VPN, with the exact same error message in all cases. I know pretty much zip about the electronic realm but this makes me think it is something about the data itself that it causing the heartburn.

I do use Wanikani in what I suspect is a “non-standard” way in that I lean heavily on the meaning notes and reading notes fields. I discovered that coming up with my own mnemonics works better for me which means there is extensive text in both fields for most every radical, kanji, and vocabulary word in my Wanikani World - probably much more total text there than for the average user. Is it possible there are any limits on the amount of text (either individually or in aggegregate) contained there that would cause a hiccup?

If you need any other specific information that might help you let me know. It’s very kind of you to look into this for me.

@blu747 – thanks for all this good info. The notes might be tripping things up. I’m going to try some testing on my side and see if I can resolve this in some way. I’ll keep you posted here. Thanks again for using the app.

thank you very much it worked :slight_smile:

@ZenBrayn – I also get the error “Disconnected from the server. Reload” all the time.
I use meaning and reading note from time to time, but I don’t remember entering really long note or html note.

I think I may have stumbled upon the cause of my “disconnected from server” problems but it will be a few days before I can fix the errors to try again. I have many (~200+) note entries containing more than one line, with a blank line in between, i.e., double (or triple) ‘enter’ operators. I have reason to believe these are the culprit. Does that make sense?

@blu747 – this is great info! Thanks for passing it along. I was suspecting that might be the issue as well base on some of the (cryptic) log messages I’ve been getting. I’m going to try testing on my side to see if I can account for this and get it fixed! Thanks again.

Hi @blu747 – I tested with my own data by adding some notes, but wasn’t able to reproduce. I’m in the US and I’m wondering if it might be a character encoding thing from another region? Are you able to say which region in the world you’re working from? Thanks for the help on this.

Southern California

B.

One additional comment. About ½ of my notes are written on an iPhone. Would there be issues re: that keyboard?

FYI, I suspect the blank lines because I have successfully downloaded my data with the Houhou app, but the .csv file goes squirrelly at certain kanji and vocab words. What I found common to all of them is the blank line.

Update: So much for that theory! I finished removing all blank lines but no change to Wanikani Explorer behavior. Disconnected from server error after download starts. :frowning:

@blu747 – very sorry you went to all that trouble and it didn’t solve the issue. I’ve been unable to reproduce the problem on my side, and we’re essentially neighbors geographically so there shouldn’t be an encoding issue.

At this point, it would be really helpful if I could troubleshoot with your API key. I realize you may not what to share your key so no problem if you don’t want to share. Since we can DM anymore, and you are able to share you key, send me a message at wkexplr using that google email service everyone uses (I’m being obtuse here to prevent spam bot scraping). Thanks!