WaniKani Easter Eggs/ Weird UI... Why 42+?

I would also recommend the BBC Radio 4 production. Series 1 and 2 are the original ones, they later became the books as they are today. Series 3 - 6 were released over the last two decades, with the sixth series (‘the Hexagonal Phase’) being aired only just last year.

I can understand why you wanted to delete this comment, but good heavens it was funny!

1 Like

You mean you didn’t reset just for the purpose of not having the level 60 marker? How weird.

9 Likes

Oh yeah then why haven’t you returned any of my calls/texts? Jerk.

2 Likes

Mrs. Chou is Slenderwoman, Slenderman’s partner in evil, that’s why she is so loooooong. 長

3 Likes

If you don’t like the 42+ (I personally don’t, I would rather be slapped in the face with however many hundreds of reviews I’ve let pile up right up front), there are scripts you can install that overwrite it. I personally use this one on chrome: WaniKani Real Numbers

2 Likes

I know you aren’t complaining about it, but I am. I have never liked the “42+” on lessons because it makes me feel like I am never making any progress even if I slay about 60 new lessons and still have more than 42 left. I can see no functional reason for the “42+” thing, though I think Kouichi once made some lame excuse about its purpose being so that people don’t feel overwhelmed by seeing a bigger number than that in their lesson queue (Oh no, not REALITY!). I love you Kouichi, but I don’t love all these design choices. :stuck_out_tongue: (Side note, maybe it wasn’t him who said it but I know I saw this explanation somewhere, probably in the FAQ or from someone at WK).

If you’re handy with userscripts and dislike not knowing exactly how many new lessons you have lurking behind the scenes, you can install ScriptMonkey and a userscript called “Wanikani Real Numbers” to display the actual number of lessons you have waiting for you. It was a game changer for me. In fact, I highly recommend reading the “Ultimate Guide to Wanikani” if you’re a new user. A veteran user made it and it explains a lot of tips and tricks, including a very comprehensive list of extremely helpful userscripts you can install to enhance the experience. I highly recommend installing the one that uses various fonts in your reviews because you will see them all over Japan (or on products/books) and they will look like alien language even if you are to level 60 unless you start exposing yourself to them now. It screwed up my review accuracy for about a week, then I got used to them and got back to normal.

Edit: was posting this as someone else mentioned it right before me. Haha.

2 Likes

Nope, and not for any silly reason like proving a point either.

2 Likes

Who on Earth would reset just to prove a point? That’s silly.

4 Likes

I will admit to having been pretty impressed with the extravagance of the gesture.
Hah, translate that to natural Japanese, if you dare, @Leebo!

On the topic of 42-related easter eggs, I had heard early on that there’s a secret forum for level 42 users. Of course when I was at level 42 I completely forgot to look for it.

3 Likes

You should know by now that I’m secretly creating a cult. Look at all those people getting epic results. Some are even beating me. I call it success.

4 Likes

OMG there have been people faster than you. They just didnt bother to collate the all the useful advice throughout the forum and make it their own guide. Don’t be smug.

9 Likes

Ikr. I’m so embarrassed that I’ll write another guide on top of that guide just to try to redeem myself. Hope it works.

1 Like

Definitely would start with the radio series as this is the original medium. The OG audiobooks narrated by Stephen Moore are definitely worthwhile, I can’t count the number of times I fell asleep listening to these as a kid. There seem to be freely on the internets if you google.

2 Likes

Also lots of references to the London neighbourhood I grew up in. Hotblack Desiato was a local scumbag estate agent firm who apparently ripped off Douglas Adams. Their signboards were everywhere back in the day.

1 Like

そんなに無駄な行動には迫力があったということを認める

…かな?

It’s not a one-to-one grammar point match, but that’s my best guess.

3 Likes

That’s a dark side of you I’ve never seen before

1 Like

So is that like a spoiler?

Think by now it’s about as much a spoiler as mentioning that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker’s father. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well this is the first I’m hearing of it. >.>