WaniKani Cost

When I first started using WaniKani, I was also planning a trip to Italy with my girlfriend and I was also preparing for my first year of law school. I got the lifetime subscription during the winter sale, but the cost was still scary to me, since during your first year of law school you aren’t allowed to work and thus have to survive on an income of $0. One year later and I can safely say this was one of the best investments I ever made. I’m so happy with my progress, the people on here, and just the overall organization of this site. I frequently find myself wishing there were German and French versions of this site it’s so well put together. Anyways, I just wanted to once again say how much I appreciated everyone here and the site itself. This place is truly special.

46 Likes

I often fantasize about a that. How amazing would it be if there was a holy site that had everything great about Wanikani, Bunpro, and Satori reader. The ultimate combination of the ultimate resources…people would be learning Italian in mere nanoseconds.

10 Likes

I’d rather learn Italian in nonnaseconds (grandma-seconds).

11 Likes

I’d pay for a Welsh one. I can see a Level 60 review now:

11 Likes

One of the best investments I ever made as well! Honestly makes learning Kanji so much fun, and the community is so wonderful.

7 Likes

I will recommend WK to every single person I meet who wants to learn Japanese. It’s the most motivating form of study I’ve ever encountered and actually makes me (dare I say) want to do grammar study so I can make sense of all the kanji I learned here. I love it!

11 Likes

wk is great because it gives you a structure and some urgency (“do your reviews, or…”), which forces you to squeeze studies in your daily schedule. the forums then might inspire you to do more.

4 Likes

Wanikani is so well structured and addictive, it’s the ultimate resource and I often fantasize about it having an equivalent for other languages too. I recommend it so much to friends and anyone I meet that people often think I’m being paid to do it.

2 Likes

I bought the lifetime subscription when it was first offered. I’ve never regretted it.

4 Likes

Lifetime is not good imo. Monthly is better for the pace. Study for a full month and rest a little then repeat. After a year or so you will not be bored of doing reviews.

2 Likes

But surely you can do this even with lifetime :thinking:

5 Likes

difference is, in lifetime you do not have to hurry. there should be a little stress to get better results imo.

1 Like

I can see that being true of some people. But personally, if I try to go faster than my “maximum speed”, I just don’t remember anything, period. Lifetime is better for a person like that, and I can’t possibly be the only person like that.

5 Likes

I think it’s probably just a personal preference based on what motivates you :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t feel like I need any more impetus to do WK, and I personally wouldn’t be able to stomach having any rest breaks if I was paying monthly, so I think I’d be more likely to burn out.

But I know lots of people say they like the motivation of monthly or yearly, so I think you just have to figure that out for yourself.

4 Likes

i’m not convinced that stress is useful for learning. it puts some pressure on you to “get your money’s worth out of it”, but if you need that, then your original motivation needs a check.

i’ll get lifetime because it’s more convenient. no more need to pay monthly. i’ll be here for a while anyway, 60 is a long road, and then i plan to burn it all, too. i’d like to unburn a few things at the end, too, and there might be new content in the future.

3 Likes

I think it’s a matter of - does that stress make you feel overwhelmed? Or does it make you stop being the lazy azz that you are and actually do stuff (or else consequences)?

Stress can either work or not. 場合によりますね!

3 Likes

there’s positive stress, caused by ambition, or by seeing the rewards and the daily satisfaction of having worked towards it. that’s the levels here, or goals like “i wanna be lvl +n in 3 months”.

then there’s negative stress like “fml, only 1 week left on my sub, but 2 weeks till payday.”, and “if i take too much time, it will cut in my study budget, so every mistake costs real money”

even the manner in which wk presents the kanji could be improved for more gamification and less frustration when failing an item. instead of letting the student focus on pass/fail test style, you could do it shogun-style. each level a conquered region, each kanji a village, each word a retainer, complete with maps, and the more you conquer, the more you have to delegate to loyal subjects (burns), burned villages upgrade to towns, burned regions get a bastion.

okay, this has drifted off now and is completely off-topic, hehe.
but you see where i’m coming from, right? i’d focus on the sensation of gain, no losses included.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.