WaniKani Content Update: July 4, 2019

The items just appear in your queue. They should be there now. Depending on your current lesson settings, they’ll either be right at the front or shuffled in with other stuff.

7 Likes

I’m gonna check your comment in a few weeks when the 3rd update is live and see how many kanji match up, i bet there’ll be a couple :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Great additions! :star_struck:

Did not know that. Thanks!

噂 is one of 168 kanji whose recommended shape was changed by JIS X 0213:2004.
This has nothing to do with printed vs written style.
Fonts of any style, which conform to JIS X 0213:2004, display this kanji using ‘fins’ instead of ‘horn’.

Here’s an example using different fonts I have installed (left-to-right: gothic, mincho, two textbook fonts and written style square and semi-cursive typefaces. Top row: fonts conforming to the new JIS, bottom row: fonts using the old JIS):

1 Like

So it’s an encoding issue. On PC I see the fins version, and on mobile I usually see the horns version. But when looking up stroke order, the horns version always comes up, so I’m sure there’s a written vs digital thing going on with that too… :thinking:

This is just because many sites which display stroke order are not updated to the new JIS for whatever reasons (probably they have not been updated in ages at all). But some are, e.g. Jisho. Current versions of Kanji Stroke Order font also use the fins shape:

2 Likes

:open_mouth: I should use jisho more often…

2 Likes

These are so great!!

1 Like

awesome program and lessons. I started today :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.