WaniKani Content Update: July 4, 2019

I’m sorry for being a bit late with my question…

But is the long term plan to include all JLPT and/or Joyo kanji?

According to wkstats (which might be slightly outdated and not include the latest updates?), the following items are missing:

261 of 2211 JLPT kanji not yet covered by WaniKani.

N1261/1232 蚕 壱 韻 畝 謁 艶 旺 翁 虞 箇 嚇 褐 棺 斤 薫 繭 侯 墾 采 肢 嗣 賜 爵 儒 愁 遵 抄 宵 硝 詔 薪 斥 繕 塑 但 逐 嫡 衷 勅 朕 逓 痘 謄 弐 頒 眉 附 賦 丙 倣 耗 冶 窯 濫 吏 厘 楼 弘 彦 李 浩 宏 旭 磯 萩 栗 辰 霞 淳 桂 晋 晃 桐 鷹 猪 紘 敦 祐 鵬 亘 笹 毅 稔 楊 椿 圭 伍 蘭 秦 茅 郁 楠 玲 肇 亨 嶺 喬 寅 洲 樺 槙 巌 峻 槻 琢 蕉 琉 朋 橘 漱 苑 巽 杜 欣 巴 禎 稜 倭 魁 鴻 於 赳 禄 孟 尭 巳 暢 芹 鳳 馨 慧 彬 匡 欽 嵯 綜 翠 鮎 榛 惣 蔦 渚 稀 芙 皐 雛 惟 佑 耀 黛 渥 惇 脩 甫 嬉 暉 只 檀 凱 彗 丑 叶 汐 絢 朔 伽 黎 冴 偲 允 蒔 舜 彪 卯 皓 洸 毬 鯛 怜 邑 碧 啄 穣 酉 悌 柚 亦 詢 紗 眸 玖 錘 諄 倖 笙 侃 裟 洵 爾 昴 銑 莞 伶 碩 宥 滉 晏 迪 綸 竣 晨 燦 麿 頌 琳 梧 澪 匁 晟 衿 凪 梢 茄 勺 恕 蕗 瑚 燎 柊 侑 嵩 捺 蓉 茉 袈 燿 誼 勁 菖 椋 叡 紬 胤 凜 亥 脹 麟 瑶 瑳 耶 椰 絃 丞 奎 昂 柾 熙 菫 鞠 崚 捷

173 of 2136 Jōyō kanji not yet covered by WaniKani.

G61/181
G9172/1130 挨 曖 宛 畏 萎 彙 壱 咽 淫 韻 畝 謁 怨 艶 旺 翁 臆 虞 苛 箇 瓦 楷 潰 諧 蓋 骸 柿 嚇 顎 葛 褐 釜 棺 玩 毀 畿 臼 嗅 斤 僅 惧 串 窟 薫 詣 憬 稽 桁 繭 舷 股 錮 勾 侯 梗 喉 慌 乞 痕 墾 挫 采 塞 柵 刹 拶 肢 恣 嗣 摯 賜 餌 璽 嫉 爵 腫 儒 袖 羞 愁 蹴 遵 抄 宵 硝 詔 拭 薪 腎 裾 凄 醒 斥 戚 煎 羨 腺 詮 箋 膳 繕 塑 遡 曽 痩 踪 捉 唾 堆 但 綻 緻 逐 嫡 衷 嘲 勅 捗 朕 逓 諦 溺 填 妬 痘 謄 頓 貪 弐 匂 捻 罵 剥 氾 汎 斑 頒 眉 膝 肘 附 訃 賦 丙 蔽 餅 璧 倣 貌 頬 勃 昧 冥 麺 耗 冶 喩 妖 瘍 窯 沃 拉 辣 濫 吏 慄 侶 厘 弄 楼 籠 麓

I know… there are ways to study kanji without WaniKani. I love Anki, I write my own mnemonics for most of the items anyway these days… but I just prefer studying kanji here. There is only one true kanji god and if I could worship him all the way until the end (because, honestly, I might be fine with just stopping when I’m done with all N1 kanji) then that would be perfect. :bowing_woman: :crabigator: :heart:

13 Likes

Yep it’s outdated, it shows the kanji added last month and on 4th. But i’m curious too, will all these be added at some point? Or are they not necessary? I’m only on level 27 so I don’t have an opinion yet but even some kanji in levels 50-60 seem quite obscure so maybe the kanji that wanikani don’t/won’t add are simply not needed, even to pass N1? What do those who are level 50+ think?

btw i’m hoping 妖 is one of the kanji that will be added in the next months :innocent:

3 Likes

I’ve never seen many of the high level kanji, and many kanji not in WaniKani I see from time to time.

妖精 is an essential word. :fairy:

7 Likes

妖精 is an essential word. :fairy:

I meant more for 妖怪 which I surprised myself by recognizing when i was watching an anime episode a few hours ago :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never seen many of the high level kanji, and many kanji not in WaniKani I see from time to time.

Damn that’s weird, can you (and others who are advanced) maybe make a small list and suggest it to our wanikani overlords so they consider adding them?

2 Likes

That’s a good one too.

I’m not really that advanced, but regardless, the problem is that some words/kanji may show up a lot in one book or series but be rare in general. So I can’t say from my limited experience what kanji are actually common, besides some obvious ones like those already added in the last two updates.

9 Likes

I know that someone posted a list of common vocab using Kanji not on wanikani on the forums a while ago, and most of the words on it were ones I’ve seen at least a few times, or at least that’s how I remember it. I don’t actually remember how they made the list, but it seemed pretty decent (I’m not going to try suggesting anything myself though, both because I don’t really know if I feel comfortable calling myself “advanced” yet, and also because I don’t actually know what’s on wanikani or not since I’m not done with it yet)

This was the list:

Just the first five have been in pretty much all the Japanese books I’ve read so far, so I’m honestly somewhat surprised they aren’t on wanikani(and I know I’ve seen more than half the words on the list in several books, at least). It does have some less common words too, but a lot of the other ones seem to be super common from my experience. I guess I could say which ones I’ve seen the most often, but I’m on my phone so it’d be a bit of a pain to do it right now :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

I believe the WKnai anki deck might be what you’re looking for:
https://community.wanikani.com/t/some-supplemental-material/8121

3 Likes

And @irrelephant - are you guys looking at the main wkstats.com (which is API v1), or the new wkstats which is API v2. The API v2 one pulls from the site a lot better and more often - the other one was manually updated (last time a long time ago) by our fantastic @rfindley. I bet the new one reflects the changes.
Although, v2 is under development still, and if I recall, does not yet employ the full functionality of the original.
When I look, it only says 259 N1 kanji are missing. wkstats

4 Likes

For the kanji 噂 I really don’t think the radical horn is correct. It should be radical eight or fin. The shape is totally different.

Plus the mnemonic would make more sense too. You drink alcohol 8 times and start talking nonsense by making rumors.

10 Likes

This kanji in particular is one who has a slightly different shape in writing when compared to the font WaniKani uses. Take a look at

There are a few other characters where this happens, like 噌, it’s just something you need to get used to, but I agree the mnemonic isn’t helping if you can’t see the radical in its place. Maybe you can incorporate the weird horns into your mnemonic?

6 Likes

Ha! dodged those…

So, have been away for few months.
When did the design change?

4 Likes

Like a month ago? Something like that

Here’s the discussion thread, if you’re curious

3 Likes

I just got worried for a sec. Checking my dashboard I noticed 13 kanji in apprentice 4, even though I have only 6 left on my current level. Wondering whether I had 7 very sneaky kanji leeches, I checked wkstats. Turns out they were all the 7 new kanji added in the update! Phew!

2 Likes

Just in case it happens to be of any interest to anyone, here are some of the kanji I’ve seen a lot that (I think)aren’t on wanikani: 頷, 覗, 慌, 挨, 拶, 揃, 噛, 頬, 頬, 喧, 嘩, 曖, 蘇, 璧, 辿, 溜, 撫, 蹴, 馴, 肢, 裾, 凄, 賑, 叶, 杖, 眩, 睨, 堵, 掴, 獅, 痺, 惚

If nothing else, it’ll be interesting for me to see how well the kanji I feel like I see often end up matching up with the kanji that end up getting added

9 Likes

thanks for the response. once or twice a month sound like a pretty good pace to me. I think I’ll try it out and see how that goes for me. hopefully the slower pace would save me some time and help my accuracy in the long run

1 Like

Still really need an option to clear the big pink message on the homescreen after I’ve already seen it. Don’t need to see it 10 times a day for 2 weeks.

9 Likes

Hello! What’ll happen if I’m already beyond these levels? :frowning:

The items just appear in your queue. They should be there now. Depending on your current lesson settings, they’ll either be right at the front or shuffled in with other stuff.

7 Likes

I’m gonna check your comment in a few weeks when the 3rd update is live and see how many kanji match up, i bet there’ll be a couple :face_with_monocle:

1 Like