WaniKani Content Update: July 25, 2019

more off-topic

I’m feeling a lot better today, thank you. Still coughing through the night, so sleeping is a bit rough, but all in all I’m good now.

:heart::heart::heart:

I’m happy you’re back now, and hopefully all the way through to 60!

Yes, it really is. And I’ve gotta say, I really missed this community.

Same here! :blush::sparkling_heart: I’ll probably even join the next beginners book club.

1 Like

i am really happy that you cranked up on dam updates. i am really looking forward to the point where wanikani teaches all commonly used kanji (and i do not mean the official category, but those that are used in reality)

cannot believe that 羨 and 凄 weren’t taught yet lol

because you gonna learn de kun with de voc

I’d say that the そで reading is what I see more often (due to the vocab). You could very much learn しゅう later through the vocab 領袖 as well.

1 Like

Agreed. I think WK’s decision to (mostly) teach ON first was a bad one. They shouldn’t have changed it

3 Likes

Some of the ones they changed were split pretty evenly, in which case tie-breaking to on’yomi first is understandable. But some like 袖 really don’t make sense to teach on’yomi first.

7 Likes

Hey, which script is that that shows your leech count in the top bar?

(EDIT: There are too many leech-related scripts, I can’t find it.)

1 Like

It is actually a leech training script that I have not used for a while. If you click on it, it gives you a test that contains sixty questions for 10 leeches. Every leech is asked 3 times, and then 3 questions are asked about very similar review items.

I just want to cannibalize some of the code. XD

1 Like

@seanblue

I don’t know if this was their actual intention (and even if so, I don’t know how important of one it was), but for me it’s a bit easier to remember which reading is On or Kun now that they almost always teach On first. Again, not sure if that was the intent or not, but at least for me that’s something I’ve noticed.

2 Likes

I agree. I mostly assume the kanji is on’yomi and the vocab is kun’yomi, then remember the exceptions. The less exceptions there are, the easier that is.
Then, when I encounter new vocabulary, knowing which is the on and which is the kun helps with guessing the correct reading. So in the long run it seems like a more functional system to me.

2 Likes

But doesn’t it make more sense to teach しゅう since only 1 vocab has it whereas 3 vocab has そで? そで can be easily learned since it’ll be in 3 vocab and we’ll see it all the time whereas if しゅう was not taught with the kanji it’d be harder to remember.

6 Likes

I’m not a fan of “teach the most common reading” approach and would much prefer if all kanji were taught with the On reading, even when it’s uncommon. It’d be more systematic and easier for the head. It’s especially annoying that some Kanji on WK have no On reading listed, and fail the test when a valid On reading is entered instead of Kun. Am I the only one who always answers “しゅう” for 拾? I think I’ll never burn that kanji. Same for 曇 (どん), 賭 (と)…

If no one emails them about missing readings they aren’t likely to notice they are missing. So if you catch one, it helps to let them know.

2 Likes

Last time I emailed them about missing On readings for 曇 and 賭, my request to add them was rejected on the grounds that WK has no vocab that utilizes those readings. So I’m not sure anymore what the policy about missing On readings is.

I know I’ve had non-WK readings added based on the exact problem you’re describing, so I don’t know if it changed, or it was based on the person or what, but I’ll try sending an email.

2 Likes

Did you get the bit you need? The leech calculation is done on the server and then handed down to the frontend, so it might not be obvious what’s going on.

I’m very slowly working on a completely clientside version of the trainer, and all of the code will be available. More than happy to put together a jsbin to show what it’s doing if you’d like?

I haven’t looked at it yet. (But thanks for asking!) … Grad school… papers… and actual work… and mental exhaustion = POLL thread/YouTube/Netflix instead. OOoh… or Prime. I should go and watch more Good Omens.

… Hopefully one of these days before September rolls around I get back to it and trying to teach myself Ruby too… (I started downloading and installing a bunch of stuff, already…)

It was something more visual/UI I wanted to grab, anyway.

1 Like

Anymore of these updates planned anytime soon? It’s great that Wanikani has been expanding the kanjis and vocabulary it teaches

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.