WaniKani Content Overhaul

I agree to an extent. The more traditional symbols are nice when I’m using multiple study sources and they all have the same symbol.

But the crazy mnemonics really helps to remember things. I cannot un-picture a sheep boxing Jesus:
The first thing it does is hits Jesus (ひつじ) in the stomach with its fists

Overall, you guys did a great job on the content overhaul!

Now can I has a durtle?

1 Like

I’m posting in case it is possible - it could happen :slight_smile:

Back many moons ago I took a sample game coding class in which we made a small fighting game in flash. My fighter was a poorly drawn sheep in a top hat. This is a very visual mnemonic for me haha.

I love the crazy but great for remembering mnemonics. I like to say my mnemonic sentences aloud to my housemates sometimes without context. It gets some amazing “what the heck” reactions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still haven’t caught up to my reviews enough to read this content overhaul notice yet…

I just ran into my first kanji using a new radical and I forgot this whole thing happened and thought I was going crazy for not remembering ‘allocate’.

1 Like

“jumped the shark” is very apt.

1 Like

Finally got caught out on burn reviews for kanji whose reading changed from the kunyomi to the onyomi. They were 右 and 石. I’d never actually seen the onyomi for 右 anywhere before so the burn review was the first time I saw it. I kinda wish these kanji I could lower some levels so I see the onyomi more to remember it. I think similarly I will struggle with 左.

2 Likes

You didn’t learn 左右?

2 Likes

During the content overhaul, they were changed from the kunyonmi みぎ and ひだり to take the onyomi う and さ. I must have already had them at enlightened when they made the change and since no vocab I’ve seen so far uses the onyomi, the first time I saw them was in the Burn review.

Right. What I’m saying is, the vocab 左右, from level 3, uses the on’yomi for both. Unless you skipped it, you did see the on’yomi.

2 Likes

Oh thanks! I always get that word wrong! Now it makes sense why it has such a strange reading! I’ll try and remember that, cheers.

Oh noooo! I reset to level 1 not knowing this was implemented D;
Now I can’t get old stuff back ever

Close enough

19 Likes

That one I had trouble with also… Coming from someone raised in the US. I have honestly never heard of a yurt before WK!

2 Likes

Never heard of it in Australia either!!
Or cleat! Or geoduck for that matter. It’s like I don’t even know English! Lol.

2 Likes

Exactly!! Like what in the world is a geoduck??! Ive learned a lot of weird english words with wanikani thats for sure :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks =) =)

I’ve been a member since 2013… And not a single durtle. Agh I hope I’m not too late…

4 Likes

I have yet to encounter any durtles either! I’ve been around since 2016… and really active on my WK studies since the beginning of this year. First time on the forums too.
Still… no durtles in sight…

2 Likes

I learned of the mighty geoduck only shortly before starting WK.

But that was from a single joke in the show Wynonna Earp, not exactly typical knowledge.

1 Like