WaniKani Content Overhaul

Can you send an email in to hello@wanikani.com? Let us know if you’re using any userscripts and explain what’s happening. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with the update, but someone should be able to figure it out. :slight_smile:

Well this hit me like a nailbat to the face! I put wanikani down for two months and come back - it says it will accept the old names and such but when I entered them it told me I was wrong. :frowning: I think specifically “grave” was marked incorrect…;__; I don’t see them in the synonyms or anything. Is something up with that? Do I need to pick either new or old or can I not use both?

The old answers are hidden synonyms. Since you’re only level 3 I highly recommend you just use the new radicals.

I think you mean fingers to the face.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Long break from WK over (the past 6 months have been chaotic to say the least) and I’m just now checking out the changes. Have had a few challenges with the kun to on’yomi switches, but mostly I’m just continuing to struggle with the refusal of my brain to remember which English meaning is wanted for Pinks and Purples lol.

I think the mnemonic I will miss most is Ent, even though it honestly didn’t help remember the meaning or the reading. I just like Ents. :wink:

Weirdly enough, I now can remember water slide. I’ve always thought escalator was water slide, because of the appearance of going up a bunch of stairs to slide down. (Yes, I constantly screw up escalator.) Now, even though I do think scooter fits the image more, plus helps me “feel” the motion of the words it’s in, I am finally thinking water slide. Brains can be so dumb.

Thanks for all the hard work!!

Edit: just trying to catch a durtle

Today I enlightened the “Content Overhaul” radicals! See you in 3 months Mother f****rs!

You’re sounding insufficiently enlightened, there. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Sorry to wake up this thread again… but you’re not letting it die from the looks of it, so… :smiley:)

I was planning to check in and maybe find out why I’m learning the stairs radical in lvl 10, when according to the radical page the earliest Kanji that uses it will show up in lvl 23.

Screenshot Plus

This thread has been helpful in that I’m now assuming it’s because of this Kanji in lvl 11. … Maybe we’re learning this in preparation for the escalator radical? :thinking:

Doesn’t seem like any of those Kanji changed lvls at least.

Anyone know anything? Don’t really wanna bother anyone about this

Yeah, I think that’s a reasonable assumption since the explanation of the escalator radical relies on the stairs radical. Makes sense :+1:

1 Like

I’ll just assume away then. :smiley: thanks for a 2nd opinion!

I’ve forgotten most of them anyway so no skin off my back.

1 Like

So… I heard there were durtles here…

squints and looks around

Edit: Or do I have to say something about the radical changes? I had only one radical change to deal with so…I didn’t really notice much of a difference. Eh.

1 Like

Nice work, I think I enlightened the last one yesterday!

That said, I swear for most of them I’m still using their original mnemonic rather than the updated one.

Radical changes? That’s pretty…radical?

That’s what I heard too. But I’d say they don’t give it out anymore now it’s been a while.

Well, it was worth a shot.

@Shunrin That’s unfortunate. Perhaps something could be rigged?

Maybe. But if it isn’t possible, then it isn’t possible.

I’m especially glad that many of the radical changes shift towards the more traditional symbol. While I do appreciate some of the inane humor behind them, I’d much rather actually learn what the inherent radical’s original meaning is than be treating something inaccurately. I don’t think I can go very far discussing the fine history of ナ as a narwhal. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like