WaniKani Content Overhaul

I’ll wager a few more days and someone will have a script to kill it off.

1 Like

It’ll likely be gone soon anyway, with a banner for the lifetime sale in its place.

3 Likes

I was coming here to comment that exact same thing

1 Like

look what was in his locker!

2 Likes

Mmm, donuts.

2 Likes

After one of two weeks of relearning the new radicals and kanji+vocabulary, and simply glancing at the descriptions of kanji with changed radicals, I have no problem at all with the new content. I actually think it is much easier to create memorable kanji mnemonics with these new radicals, and it gives a much more intuitive way to learn them.
Please give into the radicals and grant it a little extra effort. It is definitely worth it.

1 Like

What has changed for the kanji for passage of time? It is in your list, but it’s level and meaning have not changed.

Is it possible that the update could’ve locked some vocab? Because I level up and for some reason I got new reviews items between the hours. They’re items I already learned but they must’ve been way outside of the normal SRS review cycle because I got an abysmal 34% on the review.

Nobody here but us trees!

2 Likes

this one really got me when I encountered it in a review. Apparently we learned the reading だ when we learned the vocab 一打(いちだ), so ‘apparently’ it shouldn’t have been a problem.
However, the way this is all seemed to work is that we learn a specific reading for the kanji that we learn, by repetition, to enter when prompted for the kanji - and other readings when prompted for the vocabs.
To switch the accepted answer to the kanji without warning, or without adding it as a new lesson wasn’t cool. Even though “technically” we knew the other reading

2 Likes

I guess it’s better late than never to learn it properly. However to avoid confusion, they should update the old mnemonic (or just take it away) so learners are not entering the kun’yomi reading instead of on’yomi for the kanji review.

haha, yes take me out of context and try to make me look stupid. clearly i’m referring to the progress of banging out my drills, when i have to open another page, search the kanji, read the new shit and then get back to my drills. clearly i’ve had to stop the progress ‘of my drills’. Ain’t nobody got time for that…

There is one reference that threw me off, who is the american rapper waka? (used to remember わく, kanji 枠)

Also who is Geck/Beck? 撃

Waka (usually referred to as Waka Flocka):

Beck:

Oh ok, yeah I’m not American. Learning these is more effort than just learning the kanji www

3 Likes

I’m am American. Learning these is still more effort than just learning the kanji.

1 Like

But じょうだん would be perfect o:

Why not use Japanese words for all the mnemonics?

3 Likes

Honestly, I already do. Though for me it’s not using じょうだん as a helper to remember any じょう reading, but more specifically learning that 冗 is the じょう in じょうだん helps me remember what the reading for 冗 is.

Downside is that when I encounter a kanji so esoteric that I don’t already know any words which use that kanji, I frequently struggle to remember the kanji…

4 Likes

I have the same process and the same struggle… Except that I’ve had this problem with the majority of kanji for the last 15-20 levels…

1 Like

From the little bit I’ve seen so far from the update (post reset #2), I’m really enjoying them! No longer will 本 go back to its larval state …

1 Like