WaniKani Content Overhaul

We don’t have a way to “relearn” the kanji in the same way as the radicals. The idea was that the majority of people would have learned both the on’yomi and the kun’yomi on the same level, so the switch would be as simple as realizing we’re asking for the other reading now. It sounds like a couple people are in a weird hour/day gap where this isn’t the case. I can see if I can generate a list of all of the kanji that ask for the on’yomi reading instead of the kun’yomi now.

4 Likes

I had to look up finger, as when people mentioned it I couldn’t think of what the on reading is O_o
But looking at it I saw the vocab it is used in and can now associate it with that, but it is hard wired to the reading it was learned as when I get asked on the kanji itself :wink:

A list would be great! I can then go through and try make a mental note and re-associate them with vocabs I know =)
And I do prefer that we learn mostly on now! =D

1 Like

The setting exists as a compromise for people who don’t want to switch at all to the new names. If you’d like to glance at the old mnemonics every once in a while, the option is there still, it just takes an extra click or two.

Thanks that would be great!

Now in the beginner faze it would be very confusing to go in without it at all O_o
Whenever I get something wrong in reviews I need to look at the old to see what is going on, but I want to learn the new ones as fast as possible. I need it as a cruch only, but I need it available (not by leaving my review, go to setting, put it on and then find the item again… that simply doesn’t work…)

I think having it clickable, but not automatically the default, could be a great option, and seems several of us are vocal about it already, so maybe consider it at least?

1 Like

Yes I would second this.

3 Likes

But it seems odd to discourage people from using the new mnemonics at all by making it harder to check the old ones when needed. That “extra click or two” is the difference between clicking an “old mnemonic” tab during reviews and opening a new tab, going to settings, changing your setting, going to the kanji page, reading the old mnemonic, going back to settings, changing the setting back.

2 Likes

If you do a bulk reset on the new radicals and do the lessons, how long until they register as being unburned?

I just did around 20, and only 3 are showing up in future reviews.

The hope is that people don’t use the old mnemonics at all, and switch entirely to the new system. That was our thought process creating this setting.

BY update I mean I didn’t click the relearn button on this page.

I’m confused as I’m getting new radical lessons.
I thought I Would only be getting new lessons if I clicked relearn?

For instances When I learnt this kanji 拡 I learnt it with the radicals ム, 广 and mullet. but now I’m being asked to learn a new radical 広 for it.
Should’t it only appear in my lessons if I’m using the new mnemonics?

I feel like having some old radicals mixed in with new ones may cause confusion when trying to for example write the kanji from memory.

Maybe I’m wrong and knowing more then one set of radicals for one kanji would actually improve the ability to clearly memorise the kanji.

I guess I’m just worrying a lot as I have input over a thousand kanji in to Anki from wanikani along with nearly 1500 burned vocab along with there mnemonics. I feel like maybe there gonna have different stories and it’s gonna get messy and confusing.

also I’m not able to look up any of the old radicals in the search bar.

Is there a time limit to how long the old menmonics/radicals will be supported?

I went from 4 bars to like 30 and 24 lessons, even tho I didn’t choose to switch to the new Wanikani.

It kind of feels like I don’t have much of a choice of switching over to the new radicals/mnemonics.

I have invested a lot of time into Wanikani as many others have, That’s why I am worrying about this quite a lot

Thanks

3 Likes

Oh - I went to go look at the Tools from the menu and:

# We’re sorry, but something went wrong.
We’ve been notified about this issue and we’ll take a look at it shortly.

It was working a little while ago.

From what I understand, that’s a page for those wanting to change the name of previous existent radicals. New radicals were also created, and those are the ones showing up in the lessons pile.

1 Like

I’m not saying to make it the default, but it seems like an effective way to ween people off the old mnemonics rather than throwing them into the deep end. Plus, the UI infrastructure for displaying old and new at the same time is already there, so hopefully it would be simple-ish to implement.

1 Like

But wouldn’t putting the New as default even when that setting is on put us one step closer to that goal?
We only want the ability to peak at the old, with it on we are completely on the old now, that is one step further away from everyones goal

4 Likes

The update happened for everyone, including you. You just have the option of learning the changed radicals and using the new mnemonics or not. If you want to use the old mnemonics, that’s what the Display Old Mnemonics setting is for.

New radicals (ones that are completely new, that we just added to the site) are going to be in everyone’s Lesson queue. Think of it like a separate change to the site. We add radicals sometimes. These new radicals shouldn’t affect anything as drastically as a radical with a changed name would.

As I said before, we were working on including kanji that had their compositions changed as WELL as the kanji with radicals that changed names. I just checked, and this should be live now.

Only current names can be found in the search bar. As the devs have told me many times, “search” is complicated and we can only support front-facing meanings/readings/names there.

Two years.

I’d recommend emailing this in to the devs at hello@wanikani.com to see if you can change their minds or get them to add another state/setting to it.

Edit: I don’t have this power, so you’re asking the wrong person. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

Form is broken for me too :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I let the devs know. I’ll keep you guys updated when I hear back.

4 Likes

For me, the same error happened when I reset the last radicals. The reset was successful, but it still showed me the 500. Perhaps the “problem” is that there isn’t a nice error page when you don’t have any radicals left to reset?

Email sent. Thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes