WaniKani Content Additions: Wednesday November 16 - Wednesday December 7 2022

That makes it confusing because a public company can also mean a company with publicly listed stocks.

1 Like

fair enough. perhaps crown corporation wound work?

I think so too.

I don’t think it’s really reasonable to complain when wanikani adds useful, common vocabulary to the system. I do think however that the real underlying issue is just how inflexible the SRS system is.

Learning languages is a hobby of mine, I already speak four languages to intermediate or better level of fluency (hoping to make Japanese the fifth). Over the years I’ve used dozens of language learning apps, some only for a couple of hours, others for over a thousand days in a row. I think wanikani is the least flexible one I’ve ever encountered.

Adding new entries to earlier levels would be a complete non issue for anybody if you could either manually remove them from the active learning set (if you want to save them for later as you focus on other things) or if you could manually burn the entry if you’re confident that you already know it. Again, these are standard features on basically any other SRS solution I’ve ever used.

It would also help solve other issues with the program, such as it starting real slow if you already have some kanji knowledge (no I don’t need to be drilled for six months on 一 and 十, first as radical and then as kanji, especially when the radical is called “cross” and not “ten” so I would randomly confuse the two and reset the progress before I added it as synonym).

13 Likes

I feel like they should also remove some content, but that might get even worse reception from the people who already did it lol

2 Likes

Hey so today is November 23, 2022. When is the update going to be posted!?

2 Likes

10 Likes

Got my first lesson now.

3 Likes

All additions and movements are now live, but there might be a delay for some as they trickle into lessons!

8 Likes

Now the other six arrived yay.

1 Like

yup got them now

2 Likes

@TofuguJenny looks like 石ころ has a small typo in the patterns of use

should probably read ~な石ころ

9 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out! It should be fixed now!

10 Likes

Hey thanks for the lil boost, death levels were looking pretty scary

1 Like

Out of curiosity from a fellow polyglot, which languages do you speak?

Hi @ekg sorry I neglected to answer this earlier!

There are a few differences between the gendered words you mentioned and 元パートナー. Obviously 元パートナー is gender neutral as you said, but it’s also broader in meaning, and can refer to any kind of partner, including business and romantic partners. It also has a more formal feel, and when used in the romantic sense, it often refers to an ex-wife, ex-husband, or ex-common-law partner, rather than an ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend (which would be the words you mentioned!).

エックスパートナー is much less common than all of the above. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Thanks for getting back on that one and taking time to explain the nuances here. ^>^ Obviously, you wouldn’t call your ex husband your ex boyfriend. But it’s also good to know it works for business partners as well. :slight_smile:

I never would have guessed this one, so thanks for setting the record straight here. I’m sure there’s some language reason for this, even if I can’t figure it out myself. XD

1 Like

French, English, Portuguese and Russian. I studied German and Latin as well but not to a meaningful level.

3 Likes

This was honestly a big shock to me the first time x) I was used to owning my games, on Gameboy, PlayStation, etc, and then suddenly I get into this popular PC game (LoL), and they changed THINGS, how dare they :astonished:
Got used to it now, but wow I was pissed… :joy:

1 Like

What a coincidence! One of the words that have been newly added to WK this week appears today on my quiz calendar:

(I found the solution using the hint and google.)

3 Likes