WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Added!

We have 留まる, 留める and 書留 in our sights for the next round of additions! I’ve also added とど as a reading for the kanji 留.

Done!

11 Likes

Hi! I hope this is the right thread for this but I was wondering, why 舐 is not in WK? I ask because it seems to come up a LOT in the example sentences (舐める) and Jisho has 舐める listed as a common word, even if it is an N1 kanji. There are also some interesting and useful words that would make for some pretty fun reading mnemonics with already known kanji; 舐め取る, 舐め回す, 舐め尽くす. I hope you’ll consider adding it! :durtle:

2 Likes

Mostly because it’s a hyogai kanji (= neither joyo nor jinmeiyo). Jisho lists the vocab as N1, not the kanji.

Just because Koichi has a weird fascination with licking doesn’t make it a word worth learning. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well I learned something new today, I’d never heard of hyogai kanji before :sweat_smile:

I wouldn’t say it’s not worth learning but hey, if anything, by level 60 this kanji will probably have forced its way into brain through some of the more vivid imagery in the example sentences!

2 Likes

There are thousands upon thousands of kanji, especially 表外漢字 - WK doesn’t have enough levels or a reason to teach them all!

You’re more than welcome to learn any kanji you want; WK’s job is to teach you what you need & prepare you to learn anything else you see in the wild!

To be fair, there are plenty of 表外漢字 that are in common use, and WK does teach some of them. That said in this case that while なめる is a common word it’s usually written in kana and its kanji is not super common.

1 Like

I think I ended up learning it from Ascendance Of A Bookworm

Thought I’d test this claim. Turns out there’s ten of them:

I admit I’m a bit surprised some of these are hyogai, like 醤 and 嘘, though there’s also a couple that I’m not too clear why it was worth WaniKani covering, like 墟 and 呆.

And then there’s 叱, which has been replaced in standard Japanese by 𠮟 (which is Joyo), the difference between them being the angle of the stroke on the right half, and it’s like …what? I’m not sure that counts.

6 Likes

We could raise this to the WK team if you think WK should teach the Joyo one instead

2 Likes

I think you’ve got this backwards? Jisho lists 叱 as the Joyo version and 𠮟 as the non-standard variant

1 Like

Wiktionary disagrees with you:

was officially replaced in the 2010 jōyō reform in favor of the etymologically faithful 𠮟 ( U+20B9F , restoring as the phonetic component). remains in common usage.

3 Likes

I’m just gonna sit here in the corner and whimper for a bit after realizing that there are people that can notice or even see the difference between these glyphs.

城 vs. 域 still makes me twitch and that’s a much bigger distinction!

8 Likes

賃貸 accepts rent as a meaning, and I don’t think it should

Why not? When people talk about rent in English, it’s often about your place of residence.

Well, rent as a noun afaik only means the money you pay for renting a home, so I don’t think it should be accepted instead of “rental”

1 Like

I saw this in an anime from this season and I remembered your comment (I don’t think it’s very good, dropped it after watching for like 5mins)
I was curious so searched for it on jisho.org

TLDR: rent is fine

4 Likes

Yeah, I feel like this might be a regional difference in word usage.

P.S. Insert “計画 means plan” meme here.

4 Likes

Just noticed that 対向する is Level 37 despite the component kanji being 8 and 6 — is this a really uncommon word or something?

2 Likes

Hi @UInt2048! This word is pretty uncommon, yes!

2 Likes