WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Why is WaniKani / Vocabulary / 主 all the way in level 30 when the component kanji is level 4?

3 Likes

This one is tricky because although the kanji is simple, this word isn’t very common. I’ll look into it more and see if we can close the gap a bit, though!

3 Likes

There’s a grocer’s apostrophe in the meaning explanation for クモの巣

4 Likes

Could pollinosis (or the variant spelling pollenosis) be added as a secondary meaning or the allow list? It’s not too common but is close to the literal kanji of 花粉症

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the variance between those variant spellings? :stuck_out_tongue:

Is one of those Ls a capital i instead, maybe?

You want to add allergic rhinitis too?

5 Likes

I just learned two English terms in as many days. And I thought I had a decent vocabulary.

I had to look up “grocer’s apostrophe” and have never seen the word “pollinosis” previously. Frankly, I’m amazed that I’d never heard either of these.

5 Likes

I’ve heard of the grocer’s apostrophe, but pollinosis (or alternately pollinosis) is a new one on me.

6 Likes

I would really appreciate a general overhaul of all vocabulary in order to keep the kanji-learning experience roughly the same, while optimizing as much as one can for vocab. I am pretty sure more can be hidden and others can be added.

Same, but I’m kind of a grammar nerd. lol

Pollignosis and the ‘g’ is invisible? :smiley:

2 Likes

@TofuguJenny

The vocabulary entry for 潜る says that WK expressly wants us to learn the reading もぐる and meaning “to dive underwater” or “to go underground”.

The primary meaning is “to go under” (slightly different than “to go underground”), but, more importantly, when doing reviews it lists the meanings in this order:

For some reason, “to pass through” (くぐる) is listed first. Shouldn’t the primary meaning be listed first?

4 Likes

Autocorrect got me and I was in a hurry so no time to check the post for typos

I didn’t want to ask too much at once but your point is valid on the other synonym

I guess I deserve it after the paticles (sic) saga

2 Likes

That’s alright, I’m a native speaker in English and had to learn hay fever in English, hence the checking for existence of synonyms…

1 Like

集権性 accepts trainer as an answer.

Also is missing parentheses around its reading mnemonics reading part

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll have a look at them for the weekly updates!

2 Likes

クモの巣 doesn’t have the meaning “cobweb” even in the allow list, even though the example sentence uses it and dictionaries list it as a meaning

7 Likes

Would it make sense to have ()()める (to write down or make a record of) 書留(かきとめ) (registered mail) or something similar added as a vocabulary term someday?

I came across 書き留める today in the wild and the と reading surprised me. Wanikani currently doesn’t teach any words with this reading.

(I realize there must be a bazillion of these kinds of things that could be added, but this one doesn’t seem that uncommon and this kunyomi reading isn’t currently taught. An added benefit is that it would also torment the level 60s trying to burn everything. :wink: )

5 Likes

I think you mean 研修生(けんしゅうせい) (trainee) don’t you? (That’s what you linked to.)

1 Like

書き留める is good, but even just having the base verb (とど)まる・(とど)める would be nice, they are fairly common but it took me a long time to notice they are different from とまる・とめる

5 Likes

Level 61-70 and we’ll be golden.

4 Likes

Can めい be added as a shake for 謎?

1 Like