WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

I’ll pass along your request, thank you. Happy New Year, @DIO-Berry :love_letter:

2 Likes

Thank you! Happy new year and anime watching to you too, Kyle!

2 Likes

The reading mnemonic for says:
“Unfortunately we still haven’t come up with a good reading for きょく”, I assume because this was the case earlier and now wasn’t updated.

1 Like

Think the point is Goku’s half-brother Kyoku is not a very good mnemonic. (Though that didn’t stop them from inventing Jourm…)

But yeah, it should probably be “reading mnemonic”.

I don’t know if it’s for this reason here too, but 出 can also have a secondary meaning of “attend”, e.g. 会議に出る, “to attend a meeting”, or of course 出席, “attendance”. So to me this meaning makes sense here.

Ahh, that makes sense, - and I can see the link in a “leave for work,” “leave for a meeting” etc way, but it is probably better for me to think of it as a secondary meaning - that I just need to remember.

腰抜け has a typo in its meaning mnemonic:
Or, picture a little kid trying hiding behind their mom.

It looks valid to me. “trying hiding” is the present continuous form of the verb “to try hiding.”
This form is certainly less commonly used than the form “trying to hide.”

You’re absolutely right, now that I think about it. It’s just such an odd way of saying that, that it caught me off guard.

1 Like

煩い (urusai, loud) should seriously be moved down from level 60. An N5 word that’s extremely common shouldn’t be that high up, even if its usage with kanji is uncommon.

1 Like

Arrgh. The memories. The pain. Ahhhhhh!

Roughly forty years ago, I was doing the math and realized that I needed one more humanities elective to graduate with my Bachelor’s degree when I desired. I’d already scheduled a fairly tough electrical engineering workload that quarter, but looked for one more class that would interest me without being too hard.

Most of my humanities electives so far had been in the English department (at least the students tended to be more attractive than the electrical engineers I normally spent time with). I knew all the literature classes had heavy reading assignments, so I’d struggle to keep up. (Especially with, uh, my social obligations).

Then I saw “English Grammar 202” or somesuch.

I liked to read and write, and thought I had a decent grasp of grammar in my native language. How hard could it be? At least it would be more interesting to my techie brain than a literature, sociology, or history course.

Grammar has clear right and wrong, none of this subjective opinion stuff. Just my kind of class!

I very distinctly remember the first day of class. I’ve forgotten the professor’s name, but he was a blind man. All of his class notes were in braille. He tells us:

“Your grade in this class depends entirely on two tests: a mid-term exam and the final. Both have exactly twenty questions, and both are multiple choice. Each question presents exactly four English sentences as options. You simply need to place a checkmark next to the option that is grammatically correct.”

I couldn’t believe it! I’d hit pay dirt! This class would be a breeze! (Wait … why is he grinning like that? There seem to be an uncomfortable numbe of teeth in that smile… It must be something about not being sighted.)

Needless to say, I failed the mid-term miserably. I would have sworn that all 80 sentences were grammatically correct! The second half of that quarter was brutal. I eventually passed the course but easily spent as much time on that class for the rest of the quarter as the rest of my classes combined. Very pleasant and smart man, but I spent a lot of time in his office trying to understand various subtleties I’ve since forgotten entirely.

To this day, phrases like “subjunctive mood” or “present continuous form” make me twitch.

11 Likes

Did ending a sentence with a preposition ever get mentioned? :slightly_smiling_face:

But yeah, one of the weird things about grammar is that you regularly find that foreign learners of the language can generally recite more of the rules - and know more of the technical terms - than a native speaker, mostly because the native speaker just inherently knows what looks “right” from a lifetime of exposure.

My favourite example is the order-of-adjectives rule: there’s a correct order that adjectives need to be in when more than one is being used to descibe a noun. For example “little old lady” is correct, “old little lady” is not. “American-style brick house” is correct, “brick American-style house” is not. Very few native speakers were actually taught this rule - the incorrect order simply feels wrong. (There are some exceptions, mind - for example, “big bad wolf” should be “bad big wolf” according to the standard rules, it’s just that it’s been established as a set phrase by many fairy tales.)

8 Likes

My first reaction was “what?! :exploding_head: There’s no difference, what do you mean”

Then I translated the two into my native language, and realized “yep, alright, only the first one sounds correct, I see what you mean”. Seems like that rule applies not only to English, haha.

6 Likes

related video

7 Likes

Yup. With the usual response. I believe he said,

“That’s a superstition, an absurdity, up with which we in this class will not put.”

I do recall that at least a couple of the exam sentences examined the subtler aspects of the order-of-adjectives rule, though!

2 Likes