WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

@TofuguJenny the last few updates aren’t marked as published. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@plantron @gorbit99 and @Lahoje Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll look into them as part of this week’s updates, as usual.

@whinette Well spotted, thank you! Fixed.

3 Likes

Lol, I was watching the movie 『用心棒』, then afterwards did some WK review. When it came time for the meaning, instead of “bodyguard”, I mistakenly answered “Yojimbo” and the item went back to apprentice. Serves me right for worshipping Kurosawa hahah

6 Likes

Was literally thinking about this word last night, hoping WK would add it because it’s super common :nerd_face:

5 Likes

@TofuguJenny BTW do tell if this isn’t the right place to mention stuff I find, I just took this place and ran with it as my de facto typo reporting post. :joy:

3 Likes

@Mods 株式会社’s context sentence has Tofugu in romaji

2 Likes

Thanks @TofuguJenny.

Can you also change the example sentence for 進撃?

進撃の巨人にはまっています。
I’m hooked on Attack on Titan.

The vocab accepts “advance, charge” as answer but not “attack”. Either add the meaning “attack” to 進撃, or change the example sentence to reflect the meaning “advance, charge”.

4 Likes

Probably the latter. The title translation “Attack on Titan” is completely not in line with the Japanese title. I think it’s good to disambiguate “advance” from “attack”, since the latter would be 攻撃. :slight_smile:

A reasonable context sentence could mention the 進撃 of 武士 and 士 at the battle of 川中島, for instance.

7 Likes

This week’s vocabulary additions have been published:

• Level 7: 内ポケット (うちぽけっと) - inside pocket
  • Level 29: 乗車券 (じょうしゃけん) - ticket
  • Level 30: 我が〜 (わが) - our
  • Level 35: 鑑みる (かんがみる) - to be in light of something
  • Level 38: 由緒 (ゆいしょ) - lineage
  • Level 47: 彫る (ほる) - to carve something

And this one’s been moved:

• Level 32: 傷める (いためる) - moving up to level 36 to allow 痛める to become established first.
14 Likes

I don’t mind having them here, but there’s a chance I’ll miss one. :sweat_smile: The absolute best way is to collect up a few and email them to hello@wanikani.com. Another option is to post them on the most recent content update thread. Those are shorter so I’m less likely to miss something. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where are you seeing this? Jenny updated it to katakana already the other week, I believe.

3475334F-6BEB-4B07-A0F1-A8B97B6BD1B5

1 Like

Funky, I saw it in my reviews as part of the display content sentence script. I usually clear the cache daily on this computer, but I did forget to the other day :thinking:

1 Like

Hi @TofuguJenny , the vocab 殿堂 accepts “palace” as meaning, but the example sentence is:

お前にとって、殿堂入りを果たした選手といえば、誰になる?
Who would you say are the players that should be inducted into the hall of fame?

Please add “hall of fame” as accepted meaning or change the sentence to reflect the meaning of “palace”.

4 Likes

Vocab 顧みる accepts “to look back on, to reflect on” as meaning but the example sentence is:

あなた、我が子のことをもう少し顧みてあげてくれませんか。
Honey, can’t you concern yourself with your own child a little more?

Can you add “to concern oneself about something/someone” as accepted meaning. Alternatively, can you change the example sentence to reflect the meaning of “to look back on, to reflect on”?

2 Likes

Vocab 顧問 only accepts “advisor” as meaning but the example sentence is:

彼は良いバスケ部の顧問だとの評判があります。
Rumor has it, he’s a good coach for the basketball club.

Please add “coach” to the accepted meanings or change the example sentence to reflect the meaning of “advisor”.

1 Like

These vocabulary additions are now live:

• Level 10: 回答 (かいとう) - answer
  • Level 26: 任せる (まかせる) - to entrust something
  • Level 27: お任せ (おまかせ) - leaving decisions to someone else
  • Level 31: 我が国 (わがくに) - our country
  • Level 36: 同窓会 (どうそうかい) - class reunion
  • Level 39: 由緒正しい (ゆいしょただしい) - of honorable lineage

And this radical has been moved up:

• Level 21: spear (radical) - moved up from level 7, to match the level of the first kanji () containing this radical.
19 Likes

I think a nice vocab addition would be 密度 which means density, which is frequent when speaking for instance about population density statistics.

Maybe add a synonym of “dense” to 密 kanji (which only states secrecy for the moment) could be a good idea.

4 Likes

… as one does. :wink:

(Just kidding. I’ve no disagreement with the suggestion — I just can’t remember the last time I was discussing population density statistics! <laugh>)

Ah ah I see your point :rofl: but the fact that Wanikani bypasses this sense of 密 which is quite different from the given one, and actually, ranked higher in the different meanings in for instance jisho, puzzles me a little.

2 Likes

The thing is, other than 密度 and 密生 the majority of words I’ve come across relate more to the secrecy meaning, so I think it’s fine if that’s the primary meaning they teach.

2 Likes