WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Thank you!
Could you tell us what is the total number of items - radicals, kanji, vocabulary - at the moment?

1 Like

Will we ever full burn the durtles? :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback for 莫. This was indeed because the WaniKani radical meaning is “greenhouse”. We’ve added “endless” as an alternative meaning, and updated the kanji 莫 and vocabulary 莫大 mnemonics.

Should ナポレオンさんせい be a potential reading for ナポレオン三世 ?

Ah that was a hiccup, but it should now accept both katakana and hiragana. :bowing_woman:t3:

Could you tell us what is the total number of items - radicals, kanji, vocabulary - at the moment?

These are the current numbers:

• 485 radicals
  • 2073 kanji
  • 6466 vocabulary
  • 9024 items in total
19 Likes

This can be easily seen on the wkstats page if you configure it to show all SRS stages and group by nothing for the total number of items or group by item type to get the number of radicals, kanji and vocab.

1 Like

Regarding 莫,. I’m really Not happy about being taught made up meanings for kanji. They even don’t accept the true meaning of the kanji as a correct answer…

Hopefully this doesn’t open a precedent and it happens again. It makes no sense to learn made up meanings. Very strange decision.

7 Likes

IMO the description is fine now

4 Likes

I think at least accepting the official meaning of the kanji is necessary, don’t you think?

3 Likes

I added them as user synonyms right away, but only because I had noticed the issue in the forums.
I agree, at least one official meaning (and a top one, not an obscure one) is something I would expect. I wonder what led to this unusual way of dealing with the kanji …

3 Likes

This can be easily seen on the wkstats page if you configure it to show all SRS stages and group by nothing for the total number of items or group by item type to get the number of radicals, kanji and vocab.

Many thanks! I use wkstats a lot, but never thought of reconfiguring anything.

Yea that’s weird. In Japanese one of the meanings is ‘Must not’ but there is no meaning that means green house. also I can not find any compound words that use this kanji that mean green house. calling it green house for the radical is fine. but for the kanji name it should be changed. here’s a mnemonic. ‘you must not enter the green house’

• 意味

①くれ。ゆうぐれ。「莫春」類対早 ②ない。なし。なかれ。否定・禁止の助字。 ③大きい。はてしないさま。「莫大」「広莫」類漠 ④むなしい。さびしい。「寂莫」類寞(バク)

https://www.kanjipedia.jp/kanji/0006323700

7 Likes

Doesn’t feel that long ago that these content additions started arriving, but now I’ve burned the entire first batch already! :open_mouth:

17 Likes

@TofuguJenny 傷める should also accept “to injure” in addition to “to injure something” (which is already accepted). This has been the standard WK way of accepting both “to x” and “to x something” such as “to dry”/“to dry something”, “to add”/“to add something”, etc.

3 Likes

In case you haven’t seen it, here is the explanation: October 15 2021 Content Updates - #26 by TofuguJenny

2 Likes

The vocab 派遣 currently only accepts “dispatch” and “deployment” as answers. However, the example sentence is this:

その派遣社員は、新しい職場の雰囲気をすぐに掴みました。
The temporary dispatch worker quickly got used to the atmosphere of her new office.

So either add “temp” (as in temporary worker) as acceptable answer, or change the example sentence to reflect the meaning “dispatch”.

3 Likes

Surely 派遣社員 would mean “a worker who is temporarily dispatched [from the agency]” rather than “temporary dispatch worker” as the example translates it, because that wording kinda makes it sound like “a worker who temporarily performs dispatch [in the office]”.

3 Likes

The dispatched worker soon understood the atmosphere of the work place. makes sense.

he might not even be a temp. he might be working there full time.
a lot of the time translating to english confuses you even more. so many times i read a sentence in Japanese, and have tried to think of how To say it in English… but I relise it often loses nuance and sounds clunky and weird. i’d suggest no translating to english and just understand it in Japanese.

after level 60 you should be able to go monolingual and start using J-J dictionaries. when you do this, you will relise that when people make comments like “Why is wanikani teaching me this term no one uses?” I asked my japaese friend/ wife and she says she never uses the word" well when you go monolingual or start reading, you will soon relize every word wanikani teaches is not a rare or obscure word, and that you will often come across every single one. 作用、動作 名詞、形容動詞 are words you will come across everyday. all words wanikani teaches are common if your actually reading Japanese, they always come up. any ways I went off on a rant again as usual. but maybe some beginners will see this and not ask the question “why is wanikani teaching me this” also Wanikani is far superior to RTK3 if you do Wanikani your knowledge of Kani will be strong especially if you start writing them in anki. a lot of people I know that did RTK, in like 6 months, say they remember all the Kanji and can write them. but when you actually ask them, they can’t actually remember how to write them, the keyword, or forget strokes.also if you take a break and then wory that you forgot, so you restart. just input your burned items in to anki, and this won’t be a problem. sure you will have a lot of reviews, but in the long run you will learn more. say you only remember 25% your still 25% ahead. starting again just makes you feel like, things are easier. but in reality, you have just set your self back. just keep going, never reset. any way my all over the place of topic rant is over. maybe this will help somone? excuse the grammar.

1 Like

@TofuguJenny
中毒 takes “Poisonous” as an answer, and as a guess 有毒 probably accepts “Poisoning”

1 Like

You are free to suggest that WK remove the English translation of the Japanese example sentences. I don’t think they will do that, though.

I mean after you complete Wanikani you should start using J- J dictionaries to look up grammar. because Wanikani teaches a lot of vocab used in dictionaries to describe grammar. therefore you shouldn’t have a hard time going monolingual. obviously in the begging you need to use English translated sentences. but after level 60 you don’t need to and it will only hold you back and confuse you. Every now and then I might look up the English translation of a word, but that’s only after I have read it in Japanese and what to know how it is said in English. but even then you will relies the English translation lacks a lot of nuance and it doesn’t really convey the whole sense of the word.

so in short.
Use English translations until level 60, then go monolingual.

1 Like

Also the current state of Wanikani sentences are illogical. they are way to long. your trying to understand the function of a word while battling a whole bunch of other grammar points and unknown words. those sentences are not for helping people to become fluent. there for people who are already fluent. sure it looks kool having these long ass sentences. but it’s too much information. just keep them as short as possible. and leave the rest to immersion. sure it would be awesome to use these long sentences then automatically understand every nuance of the word… but it don’t work like that… if possible like 5 to 6 word sentences would be more effective.

彼女は箱を跳び越えた Short and sweat.
This sentence contains all words taught in Wanikani

WK example. 彼女は完璧なトリプルアクセルを跳んだのに、スコアはあまり伸びなかった。
Wanikani doesn’t teach the following words トリプルアクセル, スコア and あまり. yet they are contained within the sentence.

the word we are trying to understand is 跳ぶ

dose that long sentence give you a better idea of the usage of the word then the shorter one?

if you want to teach grammar teach it separately. don’t try to cram it in the lesson when I am trying to understand the word. it’s too much new information.

If wanikani only used words contained within sentences. after completing Wanikani, I could import them in to Anki and rep sentence cards instead of Vocab. but because of the too many unknown words and long sentences, it tires out the brain having to look up several words I don’t know. it turns what should be a 5 second review in to a 5 minute review.

I’m not trying to be harsh. but I joined in 2017 and the senrtances were a mess back then and they are still a mess. when people are doing lessons it’s tiring enough on the brain. some times we might not understand the word and want to glance at the sentences and be able to read it in seconds and relies how the word is being used. no one wants to have to look up all these grammar points and unknown words in the middle of the lesson just to understand how the word is used in a sentence. so most people won’t even look at the example sentences during the lessons. which ends up setting learners back. on the lessons page have as short as possible sentences and put the long sentences somewhere else on the site. this is so important.

if possible higher someone full time who can work on the sentences.
maybe money is and issue and wankinani is a big company so they got to pay for other stufff…
but a core function like this being broken for years is kind of bad. what ever you have to do it needs to be fixed. make this your main priority, because to your subscribers. this is far more important then adding new words or kanji , podcast, news articles, etc. Am I wrong? I feel like I can’t say this without sounding rude. but you guys need to fix this it’s kind of unacceptable. like I said I joined in 2017 this core mechanic was broken and it still is. I say this as a user who has used this site basically every day for the past 4 years.

also it would be good if after burning words, instead of not being able to review them, you could have an option to switch them to sentence reviews instead.

5 Likes