WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Does this work? :innocent:

4 Likes

An example sentence for WaniKani / Vocabulary / 癒す uses the word 緑茶. That got me thinking that WaniKani never teaches the りょくreading for 緑. Maybe 緑茶 would be a good vocab addition?

3 Likes

Seems like you’re right. I checked two other dictionaries for 欲求不満, no hint at sexual meanings:
eow.alc.co.jp gives frustration《心理学》(psychology), grief, heart hunger.
(I’ve found that this dictionary often has info that jisho.org and the likes don’t)

The monolingual goo dictionary (recommended by GameGrammar) just gives 「フラストレーション」, haha.
Maybe the meaning could arise from context (which the example sentence doesn’t give).

1 Like

c65d423e1bfdaa32304dfd4a1ff09800

17 Likes

Now I’m confused I see a new vocab with the “descendants” kanji in it (昆) but now it’s “insect” so I question my memory and click on this old burned item but the “descendant” meaning is entirely gone, not even a secondary, so the foundations of my mental world are starting to crumble under my feet as I question everything in my memory and as a last ditch attempt I paste the kanji into jisho.org and finally see “descendants” is still there

so uh… I know the old meaning probably still works as a hidden synonym but I think it could still be a printed secondary no one mentions if 後昆 isn’t common enough… for us easily shaken old users :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Seconded. I suggest WK unburn/return to pile the kanji for everyone if they decide that the primary meaning taught earlier was archaic. And maybe have a banner pop up with a reason why when we encounter the kanji again. This way it gets noticed. A line in a forum post does not really attract my attention - and I can’t be the only one who doesn’t religiously read every post in here :wink:

3 Likes

I love wanikani but I still feel there’s still a lot of improvement possible with the vocab content. Yeah I have been told many times the purpose of wanikani is not to learn vocab but I can’t see why both cannot be achieved.

Too many obscure vocab. Examples
傷心
悪因悪果
Who uses the above in everyday life?

Too many suru vocabulary. If we have already learned the suru noun, don’t think it’s necessary to have a new vocabulary by simply adding する. Understood necessary for early levels. Waste of time for mid and advance levels and would rather if there was more common vocab to learn instead.
Example
主催
主催する
Would have preferred if there as a vocab for 開催, to hold an event. I saw this msg on my Line when my friend asked me if I watched the opening ceremony. I knew both kanji but didn’t know the meaning of this vocab

Rant over

3 Likes

It’s in level 57 instead of 55 :blush:

1 Like

I had the same “gasp” feeling when I saw that. But if you look for “descendant” in WK the kanji 昆 still appears, the meaning descendant has just been moved in the allow list.

1 Like

Same here.

Went looking for the notification of the change from “descendants” to “insect”.

There isn’t any.

Agree on the する nouns – I counted over 100 of them. It’s not necessary to enforce over and over again that you can add する to a noun to verb it, so these vocab are just a waste of time. I would suggest dropping all the examples after level 10, there are plenty of examples up to that point for people to get the idea.

3 Likes

Who will be the first to create the 9000 burned items thread?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! Lots of good points, which we’ll take into account as we keep working on improvements.

We always list content changes in the weekly content updates category (昆 was in the 11/7/20 post) but we’ll try to make changes less confusing from now on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well spotted! I’ll fix it on the schedule. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Jenny,

thanks for the great work you people do.

This said, please allow me to point out: when WK fundamentally changes a kanji, which are the reason for our studies here, would you not agree just how annoying it would be for you when such a change would be buried in just a weekly list, which may or may not be seen by your customers? Do you not assume that not all pupils have the time to peruse such a list (or even participate in the forums, for that matter)?

One would think it’s worth looking into having changes like this to be more clearly reflected on the kanji within the environment of just WK and equally importantly, for all those who have that kanji in a higher status than apprentice 1. Therefore as mentioned above, perhaps knocking such kanji down to apprentice level 1/back in the line of kanji to learn would make it clear for everyone something has changed.

Wouldn’t you agree that’s more of a learning-oriented solution? Lists are fine, but they are not part of my learning process and should not be here on WK :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I certainly don’t want it knocked back down. It’s not like “descendent” is a wrong meaning, it’s just one of three for 昆 (insect, descendent, and older brother). There should be an optional mechanism to knock it back down for those that want it, but forcing everyone to redo reviews for some kanji they understand well enough now is silly

11 Likes

As well you might hold that opinion, being further along in your studies, I can certainly appreciate that. You also probably have a better grasp of many things on that scale. But for all those who are somewhere in the middle of their studies, wouldn’t you agree that the change is a bit heavy-handed in its implementation? I thought it worth pointing out that it’s up to WK to provide a better solution to the learning process (than just making a list in the forum or us, the students, lament about it). :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s actually always bothered me that content changes are listed here rather than via email. We got an email back in April about the current schedule but something like a monthly email digest of specific changes would be welcome.

9 Likes
4 Likes

This is just my personal point of view, but whenever I encounter a する verb that has the corresponding noun, I take it as a bonus to reinforce my memory on that noun, especially because they are ususally introduced some levels after the noun :wink:

9 Likes

Yeah, it has actually helped me a lot with some words that I struggled with in their noun form. Getting those extra reps in with the する verb reviews later ended up being the push I needed to memorize them.

3 Likes