WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback! We’ll look at them all as part of this week’s updates :smiley:

I’m guessing the next batch of updates should cover all the remaining kanji, and we’ll get 瑠璃!

Well deduced @SwiftNinjaCow! We have 浄瑠璃 and 瑠璃色 in the works (瑠璃 alone tends to be a proper noun) :blush:

6 Likes

買い物 has the reading mnemonic:
The readings are the readings you learned with the kanji.
But 物 was ぶつ, and not もの, even though this word is かいもの
Probably should be changed to the “the readings are kunyomi, which you’ve already seen with x and y” template

2 Likes

The next additions have been published, and we moved three existing words up a bit at the same time:

Kanji

• Level 60: (めい) - underworld

Vocabulary

• Level 7: 火星 (かせい) - Mars
  • Level 60: 冥界 (めいかい) - underworld
  • Level 60: 冥土 (めいど) - realm of the dead
  • Level 60: 冥王星 (めいおうせい) - Pluto

Moved

• Level 6: 海王星 (かいおうせい) - moved up to level 7.
  • Level 6: (うみ) - moved up to level 9.
  • Level 6: (ほし) - moved up to level 9.
15 Likes

I’m curious, what was the reason behind the whole one level change?

This is to spread out the planets a little more, to avoid practicing two brand new kanji in the same word, and to even out level numbers a bit too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The new Kanji unlocked for me but not “Mars”?

It might be taking a little while since it’s a lower level with a lot more users. Hopefully it will unlock in the next 15 minutes or so!

3 Likes

i got it, so its working

1 Like

Hey, for the new vocab item https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/火星 , I think the the following sample sentence has a slightly wrong translation?

オリンポス山は、火星にある火山の名です。

I think you meant Olympus Mons, not Mount Olympus? I get that Olympus Mons is Mount Olympus in latin, and it’s probably written that way to reinforce the earlier ~山 vocabulary, but if you watch a documentary on Mars, they definitely call that mountain Olympus Mons 100% of the time. Like in this wikipedia article Olympus Mons - Wikipedia .

It’s interesting that Mount Olympus and Olympus Mons are said the same in Japanese though. Apparently Japan isn’t on board with the fancy names for space mountains trend.

3 Likes

Or maybe it’s just that Olympus Mons makes for a nice punny TVTrope name. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

:astonished: Thanks for pointing this out! Fixed!

2 Likes

Can 助ける get at least the “… someone” forms as whitelisted meanings? Like “To save someone”

2 Likes

Yes, this will be added as part of this week’s updates!

2 Likes

@TofuguJenny I noticed that both the mnemonics for 遼 use “distance” despite “distance” not being listed as a meaning for 遼 - only “distant” is :thinking: Not sure if intentional and if y’all usually do this

Do September updates mean Wanikani is preparing to dive into names and nanori?

the mnemonics for 遼 use “distance” despite “distance” not being listed as a meaning for 遼

@Lahoje Thanks for pointing this out! Definitely a mistake, but it should be fixed now!

Do September updates mean Wanikani is preparing to dive into names and nanori?

@ScooterFox The September updates are just to consolidate kanji that doesn’t currently have vocabulary. :wink:

2 Likes

I cannot do my lessons as it seems to get hung up on “Mars”. I am on Level 19. Not sure if it’s a problem on my end? This is day three of not being able to do lessons.

The difference of “distance” and “distant” didn’t bother me, one is just the noun version of the adjective. But the new mnemonic with “distant place” is fine too, so i don’t mind.

1 Like

Hi @Cat5was912! That’s strange. I haven’t heard about any problems on our end, but if you email us (hello@wanikani.com) we’ll try to get to the bottom of it.

This week’s batch of additions and other changes are live:

Kanji

• Level 55: (もち) - must not

Vocabulary

• Level 7: 木星 (もくせい) - Jupiter
  • Level 7: 〜分 (ふん) - minute
  • Level 19: 飲酒 (いんしゅ) - drinking alcohol
  • Level 21: 飲酒運転 (いんしゅうんてん) - drunk driving
  • Level 55: 勿論 (もちろん) - of course

Moved

• Level 2: (kanji) - moved up to level 51.
  • Level 2: - moved up to level 51.

Hidden

• Level 12: 悪女 (あくじょ) - This word is very uncommon, and we have a lot of other words to practice these readings ofand 女. If it were to crop up, it would also be easy to figure out the meaning from the kanji.
17 Likes