WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Luckily, in Japanese we only need over 8000!
8000以上だ。。。!
:partying_face:

3 Likes

As mentioned, it is 8千以上だ in Japanese. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We don’t currently have all the remaining jōyō kanji in the works I’m afraid. In case it helps, these are the jōyō kanji we’re planning to add over the coming months: 柵, 拉, 股, 璧, 餅, 戚, 煎, 苛, 冥.

12 Likes

Hi @plantron, yes they are both transitive verbs! This is simply because not all previously published transitive verbs have been updated to include meanings with “something” yet, but we’re working on it.

6 Likes

Sorry for the slow reply @adamstan. After talking it through, we’re not going to add shortened versions of “something” at the moment, sorry :bowing_woman:t3:. It’s mostly because the logic starts to get complicated (Should we also add other shortened versions? What about “someone”? etc.) and we could end up with too many allow list meanings. All transitive verbs should have the version without “something” on the allow list though, so you can leave it off altogether in reviews if you prefer. We’re just using “something” in the primary meanings to make them less ambiguous :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks, that’s totally fine with me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is this new too? I’ve never seen anything like it, and I don’t think it’s a feature of any of the scripts I’m using.

It’s the new context feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m surprised that the feature was announced in March and this is the first I’ve ever seen of it. It’s exciting to hear that they’ll be adding it to more vocabulary though!

1 Like

This week’s batch should start trickling into lessons any time now!

Kanji

• Level 30: (さく) - fence
  • Level 40: (ら) - abduct

Vocabulary

• Level 30: (さく) - fence
  • Level 30: 鉄柵 (てっさく) - iron fence
  • Level 30: 電気柵 (でんきさく) - electric fence
  • Level 40: 拉致 (らち) - abduction
  • Level 40: 中華麺 (ちゅうかめん) - Chinese noodles
20 Likes

It shows up as level 40 item for me.

4 Likes

I’ve just read through the list of planned updates after seeing two new kanji popping out of nowhere in my lessons and I want to say thanks for doing a good job. I also found interesting that you’re only adding certain kanji now. I always assumed things like 狼 or 苺 are already here, just on some later level. :slight_smile:

I guess this means you’re not planning to extend the number of levels any further than 60 anymore? Or at least not until you dive deep(er) outside 常用漢字. Which I wouldn’t mind at all by the way. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the catch sansarret! I’ve fixed the level on the list.

2 Likes

Hi ScooterFox! I’m glad you like the additions! We’re not planning to extend the number of levels at the moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny because I did not know this kanji before I arrived here in Singapore. Now I see it everywhere on doors, because in Chinese it means “pull”. That’s how you make 拉麺, of course, by repeatedly pulling the dough. However, it seems that in Japanese the kanji 拉 has lost the meaning of “pull”.

Same thing for 推 that means “push” in Chinese but “infer” in Japanese.

3 Likes

Yes! Here’s a sneak peak of the explanations for ramen :wink: (Basically exactly what you said!)

拉 does still mean pull in Japanese too - and that’s the alternative meaning on WaniKani :smiley:

9 Likes

Any reason you don’t add them all at once?

Simply to reduce the chance of overloading some learners by adding too many lessons to the pile in one go :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I see, thoughtful. :wink:

1 Like