WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

I mostly meant it in opposition to the idea of having reading only kanji items :slight_smile:

I think it’s more rewarding to ask people directly about the meaning of their name, especially since most people have 2 kanji in their names that play off each/work together. It makes for some pretty cool conversations.

1 Like

here in Brazil I always thought funny about the indigenous people names since I was a child, because they are related to the environment, nature, fauna etc.

Then many years later when I got to study japanese, I realized japanese names follow the same trend like akira toriyama for example. :smiley:

2 Likes

In view of this, since we get to learn 莫大 as a vocabulary item for 莫, I really think it would make more sense that we learn something like “big” or “endless” as a meaning for 莫 instead of a made-up meaning.

6 Likes

Thank you!
Could you tell us what is the total number of items - radicals, kanji, vocabulary - at the moment?

1 Like

Will we ever full burn the durtles? :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback for 莫. This was indeed because the WaniKani radical meaning is “greenhouse”. We’ve added “endless” as an alternative meaning, and updated the kanji 莫 and vocabulary 莫大 mnemonics.

Should ナポレオンさんせい be a potential reading for ナポレオン三世 ?

Ah that was a hiccup, but it should now accept both katakana and hiragana. :bowing_woman:t3:

Could you tell us what is the total number of items - radicals, kanji, vocabulary - at the moment?

These are the current numbers:

• 485 radicals
  • 2073 kanji
  • 6466 vocabulary
  • 9024 items in total
19 Likes

This can be easily seen on the wkstats page if you configure it to show all SRS stages and group by nothing for the total number of items or group by item type to get the number of radicals, kanji and vocab.

1 Like

Regarding 莫,. I’m really Not happy about being taught made up meanings for kanji. They even don’t accept the true meaning of the kanji as a correct answer…

Hopefully this doesn’t open a precedent and it happens again. It makes no sense to learn made up meanings. Very strange decision.

7 Likes

IMO the description is fine now

4 Likes

I think at least accepting the official meaning of the kanji is necessary, don’t you think?

3 Likes

I added them as user synonyms right away, but only because I had noticed the issue in the forums.
I agree, at least one official meaning (and a top one, not an obscure one) is something I would expect. I wonder what led to this unusual way of dealing with the kanji …

3 Likes

This can be easily seen on the wkstats page if you configure it to show all SRS stages and group by nothing for the total number of items or group by item type to get the number of radicals, kanji and vocab.

Many thanks! I use wkstats a lot, but never thought of reconfiguring anything.

Yea that’s weird. In Japanese one of the meanings is ‘Must not’ but there is no meaning that means green house. also I can not find any compound words that use this kanji that mean green house. calling it green house for the radical is fine. but for the kanji name it should be changed. here’s a mnemonic. ‘you must not enter the green house’

• 意味

①くれ。ゆうぐれ。「莫春」類対早 ②ない。なし。なかれ。否定・禁止の助字。 ③大きい。はてしないさま。「莫大」「広莫」類漠 ④むなしい。さびしい。「寂莫」類寞(バク)

https://www.kanjipedia.jp/kanji/0006323700

7 Likes

Doesn’t feel that long ago that these content additions started arriving, but now I’ve burned the entire first batch already! :open_mouth:

17 Likes

@TofuguJenny 傷める should also accept “to injure” in addition to “to injure something” (which is already accepted). This has been the standard WK way of accepting both “to x” and “to x something” such as “to dry”/“to dry something”, “to add”/“to add something”, etc.

3 Likes

In case you haven’t seen it, here is the explanation: October 15 2021 Content Updates - #26 by TofuguJenny

2 Likes

The vocab 派遣 currently only accepts “dispatch” and “deployment” as answers. However, the example sentence is this:

その派遣社員は、新しい職場の雰囲気をすぐに掴みました。
The temporary dispatch worker quickly got used to the atmosphere of her new office.

So either add “temp” (as in temporary worker) as acceptable answer, or change the example sentence to reflect the meaning “dispatch”.

3 Likes

Surely 派遣社員 would mean “a worker who is temporarily dispatched [from the agency]” rather than “temporary dispatch worker” as the example translates it, because that wording kinda makes it sound like “a worker who temporarily performs dispatch [in the office]”.

3 Likes

The dispatched worker soon understood the atmosphere of the work place. makes sense.

he might not even be a temp. he might be working there full time.
a lot of the time translating to english confuses you even more. so many times i read a sentence in Japanese, and have tried to think of how To say it in English… but I relise it often loses nuance and sounds clunky and weird. i’d suggest no translating to english and just understand it in Japanese.

after level 60 you should be able to go monolingual and start using J-J dictionaries. when you do this, you will relise that when people make comments like “Why is wanikani teaching me this term no one uses?” I asked my japaese friend/ wife and she says she never uses the word" well when you go monolingual or start reading, you will soon relize every word wanikani teaches is not a rare or obscure word, and that you will often come across every single one. 作用、動作 名詞、形容動詞 are words you will come across everyday. all words wanikani teaches are common if your actually reading Japanese, they always come up. any ways I went off on a rant again as usual. but maybe some beginners will see this and not ask the question “why is wanikani teaching me this” also Wanikani is far superior to RTK3 if you do Wanikani your knowledge of Kani will be strong especially if you start writing them in anki. a lot of people I know that did RTK, in like 6 months, say they remember all the Kanji and can write them. but when you actually ask them, they can’t actually remember how to write them, the keyword, or forget strokes.also if you take a break and then wory that you forgot, so you restart. just input your burned items in to anki, and this won’t be a problem. sure you will have a lot of reviews, but in the long run you will learn more. say you only remember 25% your still 25% ahead. starting again just makes you feel like, things are easier. but in reality, you have just set your self back. just keep going, never reset. any way my all over the place of topic rant is over. maybe this will help somone? excuse the grammar.

1 Like

@TofuguJenny
中毒 takes “Poisonous” as an answer, and as a guess 有毒 probably accepts “Poisoning”

1 Like