WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Mods have also been summoned at a thread about level 60 threads and also didn’t show up, they must be at a modding conference or something

Probably a conference of whether or not to make the category lol. I saw one listed as replying an hour ago, but that was to suggest adding a user synonym

Hi @CDR-Strawberry, we edit and add context sentences during weekly updates, and list them in the content updates category. We try to use already-learned kanji, so low level sentences usually have fewer kanji, but we haven’t specifically gone through and stripped sentences of kanji (and sometimes we add kanji to sentences too). The sentences should be natural, so if we use kana, then that sentence could use kana in real life. If you’ve seen any that seem unnatural, though, let us know and we’ll check! We don’t have the option of adding furigana at the moment, but we’ll let you know if that changes :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi @TofuguJenny - any plans to add 蚕 ? (It’s the only 6th grade Kanji that’s currently missing :eyes:)

2 Likes

What do we have to do to also get 狸 タヌキ as a Kanji and vocab? :pensive:

Hi Jenny, it’s mostly the examples here,

but when I also looked through random vocab from the first 10 levels, many of the sentences also seem simplified. The sentences used to be easy, medium, hard in terms of grammar and kanji knowledge before, weren’t they? Is the WK team changing its focus to be more on completely new to Japanese learners?

1 Like

Hi @VegasVed and @AdalwinAmillion! Those kanji aren’t in our current plans, but we can certainly take a look at including them in future additions.

Thanks for the examples! The context sentences mentioned have never been changed, so they’re due for an update. We’ll look into it!

There was originally just one sentence per vocabulary item, which was often advanced. We then started adding more, which were hopefully much more level-appropriate, but we often kept the more advanced one for learners with more advanced grammar/vocab knowledge. We’re not changing our focus to new Japanese learners exactly, just trying to make the sentences as useful (and motivating) as possible for all learners.

3 Likes

Any reason why WaniKani / Kanji / 捜 accepts “search” and WaniKani / Kanji / 索 accepts “search” but WaniKani / Kanji / 探 does not accept “search”?

Hi @plantron, “search” is on the allow list for the 探 so it should accept it :thinking:

1 Like

Perhaps because you have “search for” as allowed term, but not “search” in itself. The other two have both “search” as a single term, if I see this correctly.

2 Likes

Thanks, Jenny. This must be something new because I remember that before my reset, “search” was not accepted.

2 Likes

You’re right, it’s a fairly recent change!

2 Likes

This week’s batch is live :grinning:

Kanji

• Level 14: (いちご) - strawberry
  • Level 33: (こ) - crotch

Vocabulary

• Level 14: (いちご) - strawberry
  • Level 33: 股間 (こかん) - crotch
  • Level 33: 股関節 (こかんせつ) - hip joint
  • Level 42: 拉麺 (らーめん) - ramen
27 Likes

First noodles, now strawberry - some tasty content there :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The vocab 豊か has the accepted meanings of “plentiful” or “abundant”. However, the example sentence is 日本の生活がとても豊かだと言う事はできないね which is translated as “I can’t say Japanese life is very satisfying”.

Can you add “satisfying” or something similar to the accepted meanings? Alternatively, can you change the example sentence to reflect the meanings of “plentiful” or “abundant”?

3 Likes

About new kanji, just for fun, I checked the balanced corpus of contemporary written Japanese. (got the data from here). Maybe you could be interested @TofuguJenny ?

璧, 餅, 苛, 戚, 苺 are great addition, used in very common words:

Frequency Word Count
4062 完璧 1950
4592 1644
4606 苛々 1639
5301 苛め 1360
6220 苛める 1098
4446 親戚 1714
5751 1221

柵, 股, 冥 are nice but a bit less frequent:

Frequency Word Count
7009 925
34729 城柵 76
11582 股間 449
13054 377
20079 二股 195
19521 冥福 204

But also I can see at least 5 non-wk kanji used in words that are more frequent than all of the above. 頷, 覗, 揃, 拭, and 騙. Worth considering them for future addition ?

Frequency Word Count
1569 頷く 6047
2259 覗く 4097
2766 揃う 3235
3571 揃える 2312
3595 拭く 2284
4124 騙す 1911
5 Likes

Yeah I know I see 揃える all the time at least, and never with furigana despite not being jouyou, even when other words get furigana.

5 Likes

Thanks, we’ll look at that as part of this week’s updates!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll add those to the list :smiley:

1 Like