WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Hi @wcastillo115, that’s a really good point! I’ve added the following meanings to the allow list and tweaked the meaning explanation a little.

To Be Turned On
To Turn On
To Ignite
4 Likes

Thanks for the update, Jenny :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on the translations! I agree that having to type “something” every time is frustrating, and though @Pep95 is absolutely right that we want to help people distinguish between transitive and intransitive verbs, it’s probably not worth the trade off.

We’re still working on better ways to deal with transitivity - as pointed out, passives are not great English equivalents, but often the closest we can get if we want to keep infinitive definitions for consistency.

For now, I’ll add the translations without “something” to the allow this, so that they’re marked as correct but aren’t visible, so will hopefully make the distinction clearer at a glance. I hope this will eliminate some of the frustration!

8 Likes

I just came across these, and I do like the idea, but if you want to implement this, it would have to be across all transitive verbs in Wanikani. At this point (level 33), I’m used to the old way, so I think you need to make sure this is aligned so all transitive verbs follow the same pattern. This could either be to implement “something” as an option on all or to allow the old form without something on the whitelist. I do recognize that adding it all verbs would be a huge undertaking at this point, so I understand if you go for the whitelist solution.

1 Like

Hi @Arzar33, this is actually most likely to be talking about a car, though it could be a task or something too! It’s most natural to leave out the object here, but that’s not very helpful for consolidating the transitivity of this verb, so we’re going to think of a better sentence :slight_smile:

1 Like

suggestion:
could you allow sth for something and sb for somebody in all the definitions requiring one of these? Those are abbreviations often used in dictionaries and would accomodate the not so fast typers.

2 Likes

There seems to be a small display error with 転がす on Tsurukame, though it displays fine on WaniKani, so I have a feeling there may be a broken HTML tag or something similar in the Reading explanation from where Tsurukame gets the data :thinking:

Summary

Tsurukame:

WaniKani:

can I add into synonym for ()える “to end something”?

or would it be another different kanji later on?

Strange, it all looks in order in the admin :thinking: I’ll see if I can find out why that is.

2 Likes

I’ll speak to the team about that!

3 Likes

That isn’t used for another word later :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far I typed the meaning omitting “something” and it was good for all of them. Not even “your answer was a bit off”, always got “did you know there are other meanings?” Looks good! :blush:

1 Like

I’ve always wondered about this. English infinitives aren’t really good translations for Japanese verb base forms, so that’s always felt strange to me. Mind you, I don’t know what you’d replace it with, either. And at least it’s consistent throughout the site. :wink:

1 Like

can we remove words from Japanese language? it’s too much to learn :grimacing:

11 Likes

I think it can be useful to add synonyms “to expand something”, “to extend something” for 広げる.
It’s kinda frustrating WaniKani accepts only a few synonyms from the wide variety.
(And it was one of the reasons why I dropped WaniKani.)

1 Like

Thank you @TofuguJenny for your kind and compassionate words. I’ve been rate limiting lessons since about level 7, so I’m very familiar with that technique. :slight_smile: The first set of new words seem to have stuck on impact, so that’s good. I haven’t done any lessons lately so I haven’t seen the second, and I presume the weekly releases will soon get ahead of me in which case I won’t even notice. But thanks again for the thoughtful response.

3 Likes

Hi everyone :wave:

We’ve received feedback that the pace of the additions is a little fast for some, so we’re going to push back the next batch for one week, to Thursday, May 20 rather than this coming Thursday. We may also revise the publishing order and start with higher levels. We’ll keep you posted on that!

Regarding audio, we had some delays with our voice actors, but we’re hoping to upload all audio before the next batch is published :crossed_fingers:t2:

23 Likes

Nooooooooo
Kidding.

1 Like

I believe 和製英語 is already doing this. :joy:

You could say it’s doing you a サービス

1 Like

What? But… I mean, it’s just vocabs…

/grumpy60