WaniKani at Android Speed

Anyone care to explain to a superior Apple user what exactly this app is, and if it is/will be available on the superior iOS App Store?

After you put in your API key and sync, you can click on the Review button. You will be given the ability to select a combination of the following options:

Kanji–>Reading
Kanji–>Meaning
Reading–>Kanji
Meaning–>Kanji
Vocab–>Reading
Vocab–>Meaning
Meaning–>Vocab
Reading–>Vocab

Next, you can select one or more SRS level for all the things you have learned from Apprentice to Burned.

Once ready, you will see a prompt in the top. You need to tab one of the two choices on the bottom (left or right side) that is the correct answer for what is on the top. The more you get right, the less time you will have to make your choice. If you run out of time or get something wrong, the app will slow down. It will keep going until you have reviewed all of the possible items according to your items’ SRS levels.

The 4th screen shot in the Play Store page basically shows it. The prompt is “correct” and the two choices on the bottom are 正 and 何. The red/yellow/green bar is shrinking from the right side of the screen. Obviously you want to tap on the left side for the correct answer for… “correct.”

It is up to people if they want to use it with Burned items or not or not worry about the SRS. Personally I am learning vocabulary from several sources anyway so I am not too bothered about it interfering with my long-term vocabulary recall.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty awesome. I’m assuming it’s only available on the Play Store, correct?

If you read nfinite’s posts on the top of this thread, it is only for the Android and hasn’t been open sourced for others to convert into iOS. There hasn’t been a new post for 4+ years so unfortunately don’t expect a version for the iOS unless someone can build a similar app from the ground up.

I am using the app. It is useful to sort out my leaches. The only problem I am having is that the numbers of vocabulary items burned says 280 right now instead of 180 which is what my dashboard says??? Often there are fail messages when synchronizing… I guess Namibian Data Speeds are a little off!

I like to use it on my Apprentice items, then they will still be taken slowly through the SRS levels later to see if there is long term memory!

Assuming that this app no longer works I will be removing it from the Third Party Apps list

2 Likes